Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1557 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Oregon Board of Pharmacy Adopts Rules to Reclassify Marijuana as a Medicine

Advocates also call attention to federal rescheduling petition currently before the DEA

Portland, OR -- Oregon became the latest state and the first in many years to officially reclassify marijuana from its status as a dangerous drug with no medical value. The Oregon Board of Pharmacy (BOP) voted 4-1 today to move marijuana from Schedule I to Schedule II. The Oregon BOP decision comes after many months of deliberation and input from the public. The Oregon legislature passed SB 728 in August 2009, which directed the BOP to reclassify marijuana to Schedule II, III, IV or V. Although Oregon and 13 other states have adopted medical marijuana laws, marijuana has officially remained a Schedule I substance according to the federal government, and most states defer to that federal status.

"This latest decision by a state public health and drug regulatory body to reclassify marijuana as medicine should send a clear message to the federal government," said Caren Woodson, Director of Government Affairs with Americans for Safe Access, a medical marijuana patient advocacy organization. "The reclassification of marijuana at the federal level is long overdue and certainly ripe for consideration."

Under the Controlled Substances Act, enacted in 1970, the federal government placed marijuana in a Schedule I classification, with a high potential for abuse and no medical value. Several attempts have since been made to reclassify marijuana at the federal level. A petition filed in 2002 by the Coalition for Rescheduling Cannabis, is the latest attempt and currently pending before the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA). The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services recently made its recommendations to the DEA, the final agency to review the petition. Acting DEA Administrator Michele Leonhart, who still must be confirmed by the Senate, is the final remaining arbiter as to the rescheduling petition's fate.

"DEA Administrator Leonhart has a less than impressive record on medical marijuana," continued Woodson. "But, with the changing political winds on this issue, the Obama Administration has a chance to do the right thing for the hundreds of thousands of sick Americans that benefit from medical marijuana."

Although only four states -- Alaska, Iowa, Montana, and Tennessee -- and the District of Columbia have classified marijuana as a therapeutic substance, there appears to be a trend to change that. In addition to today's decision, the Iowa Board of Pharmacy recommended in February that its legislature reclassify marijuana from Schedule I to Schedule II, thereby recognizing its medical use. While such moves are more symbolic than practical, especially in medical marijuana states like Oregon, it does tend to reinforce the argument that marijuana has medical value. By law, the Oregon BOP has until June 30th to implement the new rules.

Further Information:
    Oregon legislation (SB 728) instructing BOP to reclassify marijuana: State of Oregon: Board of Pharmacy â?¦ ill728.pdf
    Oregon Board of Pharmacy page on reclassifying marijuana: State of Oregon: Board of Pharmacy â?¦ ling.shtml

Here goes Oregon out in front again.
    jamessr Reviewed by jamessr on . Oregon Board of Pharmacy Adopts Rules to Reclassify Marijuana as a Medicine Oregon Board of Pharmacy Adopts Rules to Reclassify Marijuana as a Medicine Advocates also call attention to federal rescheduling petition currently before the DEA Portland, OR -- Oregon became the latest state and the first in many years to officially reclassify marijuana from its status as a dangerous drug with no medical value. The Oregon Board of Pharmacy (BOP) voted 4-1 today to move marijuana from Schedule I to Schedule II. The Oregon BOP decision comes after many months of Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

justpics

Too bad WA BOP won't reclassify mj out of schedule 1.

They have the option of doing so, but chose to use the federal scheduling as an excuse. I guess that's their right (the RCW governing the schedule 1 test gives them this option), but its pretty spineless.

•     

Quote Originally Posted by justpics
    Too bad WA BOP won't reclassify mj out of schedule 1.

They have the option of doing so, but chose to use the federal scheduling as an excuse. I guess that's their right (the RCW governing the schedule 1 test gives them this option), but its pretty spineless.
    No-one has presented the wa. legislature with the info. they did in oregon...look at the oregon bop and legislature website...

•     
    justpics

No, but the wa bop has denied petitions.

•     

No, but the wa bop has denied petitions.
    What did those petitions contain is the question justpics. If they contained irrelevant material, then I would deny them also...

So if you can locate the petitions and the info. and just point me to them, I would be glad to show you why they was denied.

•     
    justpics

I know exactly why they were denied.

The RCW governing the schedule 1 test allows the BOP to place anything in schedule 1 without applying the test if that substance is schedule 1 federally.

•     

I know exactly why they were denied.

The RCW governing the schedule 1 test allows the BOP to place anything in schedule 1 without applying the test if that substance is schedule 1 federally.
    HUH? If this is so then why is oregon doing it then??:wtf:

The legislature has the power in wa. under the const., not the bop...what your speaking of is strictly statutory.

Like I said, get me the info. filed and I will show you why...and not some lame federal law excuse.. cause if they used some lame federal law excuse...they got real problems when someone who knows what they are doing files the correct petition in all the right places...

•     
    justpics

good luck getting the legislature to do anything :lol5:
  • Reply With QuoteRegister To Reply

•     

good luck getting the legislature to do anything :lol5:
    People said to me the same thing about getting rid of Roy Alloway, yet it happened...

It is all about the correct presentation.

•     
    justpics

if you'd gotten rid of alloway he'd be in a cage. he retired.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast