Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1566 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My dog

I moved out of my parents' house about a month ago, with my boyfriend under rather chaotic circumstances; my mom has severe control and anger issues, and my father was always her enabler. I told my mom the only reason I'd stay is if we got a neutral third-party counselor to work out the obvious issues between us- she's a nurse, so I'd figured she'd at least see that was reasonable. She refused, so I moved out.

My dog, Benson, is at the house. He is more than my dog, he is my brother. I have such a strong connection to him, and I've missed him so much. Any of my siblings, if asked, would claim that Benson is my dog. My mom paid for his vet bills when needed, and he needs shots every month for Addison's disease. I can afford and will pay for this if I take him.

I think her name is on the dog license, and my parents have "threatened" to call the police if I take the dog. 99% chance they're bluffing, though. I stand to extend the complete loathing my mom has for me if I take "her" dog; I used to be the Golden Child, but then she turned away when I made decisions for myself regarding my education which she didn't like.

This isn't about Benson's welfare to her, she's angry at me for leaving, and using this as leverage against me. She's going to be on cruises as a nurse, and working all summer, in between that and Dad's shift work, Benson's condition is going to get worse. I'm looking out for the welfare of the dog, it's irresponsible and cruel to leave hm alone for so many hours. His breed (Bearded Collie) is designed for constant exercise- mental and physical- and it's neglectful to just leave him to lay on a goddamn couch all day with no one to play with him.

She's accused me of abandoning him when I moved out, and now she's pulling this card. It's frustrating. Any ideas on how I should deal with this shit?
    Purple Banana Reviewed by Purple Banana on . My dog I moved out of my parents' house about a month ago, with my boyfriend under rather chaotic circumstances; my mom has severe control and anger issues, and my father was always her enabler. I told my mom the only reason I'd stay is if we got a neutral third-party counselor to work out the obvious issues between us- she's a nurse, so I'd figured she'd at least see that was reasonable. She refused, so I moved out. My dog, Benson, is at the house. He is more than my dog, he is my brother. I have Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

My dog

The dog is not just yours it sounds like it more of a family dog. The dog has called that place home for so many years now I think it may be more wrong to take em outta there. Its a messed up situation but I think best thing is just leave it alone. If your love for the dog is so deep then take the proper steps to be able to see him or have some type of relationship with him. If you were the golden child at somepoint then you should be able to atleast work something out with them.

Also try and just deal with whatever your parents are throwing at just cuz they are your parents. I too am having.a hard time with my parents but am doing everything in my power to hang in there.

My dog

Do whats best for the dog,Good karma comes around to those that make the right choices.:thumbsup::jointsmile:

My dog

it's not right to leave a dog for long periods of time on their own so if you are in fulltime work or education you would be better off to leave the poor dog where he is in familier suroundings if your not i think the dog would probally be happier with you as dogs love human companionship, if your mum and dad have allways worked who has looked after the dog or has the dog allways been left on her own?

My dog

It wasn't an issue before I moved out- I had six siblings living at home, and they've all moved out this year. I work part-time, and either my roommate, my boyfriend, or their dog is always home. If there were more people living at my old house, I would leave him be, but there are many hours where he is simply left alone; I was the only one in the family who would take him on long walks, play with him for hours outside, and he was always by my side. He only goes outside now for maybe 10 minutes a day, alone.

According to my sister, he still sleeps on my bed at night, and when she's around to visit him, he's very low-energy and depressed.

My dog

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Banana
    . I work part-time, and either my roommate, my boyfriend, or their dog is always home. .
    maybe i am not understaanding this right but it sounds like you are shareing accomadation so you haven't got your own permanent place and sounds like where you are staying a dog is being left alone allready, i may be getting this totally wrong if so sorry but if that is the case please think of what you want to do is it for the dog or yourself? once again sorry if ihave misunderstood.

My dog

Take the dog and then shelter yourself for the fallout... Go with your gut and call her bluff... I have 2 cats and ended up in jail for 6 months a neighbor took the cats and when I got out it took another 6 months to settle in a new home... What I am getting at is the moment the cats seen me it was life as usual it was like they never left home... The dog is yours,,, take it!!!

My dog

Quote Originally Posted by weedmaster
    maybe i am not understaanding this right but it sounds like you are shareing accomadation so you haven't got your own permanent place and sounds like where you are staying a dog is being left alone allready, i may be getting this totally wrong if so sorry but if that is the case please think of what you want to do is it for the dog or yourself? once again sorry if ihave misunderstood.
    It's okay! I am living and paying rent with my boyfriend and our roommate. Both are more than supportive regarding my dog issue, and as I mentioned, there is always someone home, if not me. I only work four hour shifts, and my boyfriend and I enjoy staying in with each other, so he wouldn't be alone.

My dog has been with me on several housesitting occasions, and I find he is very comfortable in new environments, as long as I am with him for the first few days. he's very adaptable to new situations, etc.

My dog

sounds like the dog would be better off with you hopefully your parents will see sence and do what is right for the dog, hope everything works out for you PB

My dog

The thing about parents is they want whats best for you, and even though your old enugh to be on your own they still look at you as their child. You can't come in like gangbusters demanding this and that it wont work. so wait a bit, and the next time they are home. Invite them to lunch at your place, or someplace comfortable. You have to come off sounding like an adult on their own. i delt with this for years and it's only been recently that i have made amends with my mother.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Amount:

Enter a message for the receiver:
BE SOCIAL
GreenGrassForums On Facebook