Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1720 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

COLORADO CERTIFIES FIRST MEDICAL MARIJUANA UNIVERSITY IN THE COUNTRY

Colorado certifies first medical marijuana university in the country | dscriber

By Greg Campbell l Published: Thursday, June 03 2010 09:23
    We all knew those kids in school who could grow mad pot but who couldn't pass math. He or she knew all about nutrients, strains, grow lights and odor control, but if you asked them if they were ready for finals, they'd inevitably forgotten all about them. If you're like me, you were impressed with their drive and self-motivation, but only so far. The best the dude could do with his knowledge was lead a life of crime and risk spending a substantial portion of his life behind bars.

My, how things have changed -- people living in medical marijuana states have gotten used to all the old realities about the business of pot being turned on their heads, but each day still brings new surprises.

Here's the latest: Greenway University -- which is essentially a marijuana college -- became the first medical marijuana educational institution to be state-certified. It is licensed by the aptly-named Colorado Department of Higher Education to teach emerging ganjapreneurs everything about the industry from seed to sale.

That high schooler with a green thumb for cannabis gets the last laugh.

Greenway founder and CEO Gus Escamilla tells The Green Zone that the school will offer an entire gamut of courses, including how to open and run an MMJ dispensary, how to manage your patients, how to start up a delivery service and how to properly grow medical-grade marijuana. That last course is going to be especially important in the future, he said.

"Cultivation for medical marijuana is going to be one of the fastest and largest growing segments of the market," he said, and graduates can obtain a Master Grower Certificate. There are also "Bud Tender" certificates for dispensary employees to become experts in matching marijuana strains to specific ailments. And the school also offers an "MBA" -- a Marijuana Business Administration degree that covers pretty much everything involved in running a successful -- and legally compliant -- medical marijuana business.

Greenway began in LA, where it still has a presence, but moved the bulk of its operation to Colorado, which Escamilla calls "hands-down the epicenter" of the MMJ movement. It is also working in New Jersey and there are other plans for further expansion into other states. The Colorado certification is a tremendous boon not only to Greenway, but to the entire effort to legitimize medical marijuana and bring it into the mainstream.

"It's the first time in history in the medical marijuana industry where someone can have some type of validation from a state entity," he said. "We have the ability to offer government money to help fund educational programs and it really puts us into a higher platform. We can give grades, and have transcripts held by us and by the state."

Escamilla said Greenway's courses begin with ensuring that students are aware of the laws regulating the industry so that they can begin from a basis of compliance. That itself is a tall order considering the sometimes confusing regulatory provisions of HB 1284, the bill passed last month amid the loud grumbling of many MMJ proponents, who consider it too onerous. Gov. Bill Ritter has yet to sign 1284 into law, but he's indicated that he will.

Escamilla concedes that not everyone is happy with the new regulations, but prefers to focus on the positive aspects of it.

"Let's embrace the fact that they're regulating and allowing it," he said. "They're going to license it, regulate it and tax it. ... Colorado is truly setting the standard for the entire United States, and the entire United States is looking to Colorado for guidance and perspective."

For more information about Greenway University and its programs, visit Greenway University medical marijuana training school.
    copobo Reviewed by copobo on . COLORADO CERTIFIES FIRST MEDICAL MARIJUANA UNIVERSITY IN THE COUNTRY Colorado certifies first medical marijuana university in the country | dscriber By Greg Campbell l Published: Thursday, June 03 2010 09:23 We all knew those kids in school who could grow mad pot but who couldn't pass math. He or she knew all about nutrients, strains, grow lights and odor control, but if you asked them if they were ready for finals, they'd inevitably forgotten all about them. If you're like me, you were impressed with their drive and self-motivation, but only so far. The Rating: 5
    Colorado patient grower. :rambohead:

2.   Advertisements

Great post and news........I think that this one deserves a sticky.

Have a good one!:thumbsup:

why delete my post??? I will just post it again...There is no foul language...just stating opinions and facts:thumbsup:

People are over analizing MMJ... its a weed... not computer science....You dont need a degree to plant a seed and watch it grow:hippy:

Just goes to show you how people are taking advantage of newbies..taken the money fast.

I have heard alot of stories about newbies getting ripped off....ending up with all males plants... paying outrageous prices for their MMJ...poor newbies

Quote Originally Posted by VapedG13
    why delete my post??? I will just post it again...There is no foul language...just stating opinions and facts:thumbsup:

People are over analizing MMJ... its a weed... not computer science....You dont need a degree to plant a seed and watch it grow:hippy:

Just goes to show you how people are taking advantage of newbies..taken the money fast.

I have heard alot of stories about newbies getting ripped off....ending up with all males plants... paying outrageous prices for their MMJ...poor newbies
    Your post was probably deleted for not following the posting rules. Probably an email address, an insult or other personal attack. I'm not sure.

Did you read the posting rules?

I've been ripped off, but it's been more by MMC's who don't have a good enough knowledge of their products, as opposed to people actively ripping people off.

Go to craigslist and see all the crap there. That is the biggest source of people ripping other people off, and that's growers selling stuff, not dispensaries.

It's not very credible for people to say MMC's are selling moldy or low quality stuff. That's just not true. MMC's pay the money, they aren't interested in having a bad name or ruining their credibility, since they are a retail store. If william breathes at westword finds mold on a MMC plant, you better bet he'd post that, and it would get out. People here would be screaming.

Instead, the people getting ripped off are the ones who are using private caregivers.

For example, no legit MMC would ever do business on craigslist past advertising. However, non-compliant growers easily peddle their crappy products on craigslist. It's safe to say that all the crap on craigslist is private party, which is growers, not MMC's.

Look at scrupulous companies like CannaMed who sell patient info and generally take advantage of them. It's large scale private growers who increased their patient counts this way, it wasn't just MMC's.

Quote Originally Posted by cologrower420
    I've been ripped off, but it's been more by MMC's who don't have a good enough knowledge of their products, as opposed to people actively ripping people off.

Go to craigslist and see all the crap there. That is the biggest source of people ripping other people off, and that's growers selling stuff, not dispensaries.

It's not very credible for people to say MMC's are selling moldy or low quality stuff. That's just not true. MMC's pay the money, they aren't interested in having a bad name or ruining their credibility, since they are a retail store. If william breathes at westword finds mold on a MMC plant, you better bet he'd post that, and it would get out. People here would be screaming.

Instead, the people getting ripped off are the ones who are using private caregivers.

For example, no legit MMC would ever do business on craigslist past advertising. However, non-compliant growers easily peddle their crappy products on craigslist. It's safe to say that all the crap on craigslist is private party, which is growers, not MMC's.

Look at scrupulous companies like CannaMed who sell patient info and generally take advantage of them. It's large scale private growers who increased their patient counts this way, it wasn't just MMC's.
    i dont know...i havnt been impressed with the few mmc's that ive been to. they were alright but for that price it damn well be better than mine. not even close. even the clones were shite. others have let me try theirs from mmc's, not impressed at all. weak high, it all tastes similiar (soapy taste) and too pricey, oh and bag appeal not present. maybe im a tad bit biased however i do blind tests to ensure personal quality.

meded so you can mededicate to mededitate
    meded, so you can mededicate to mededitate

Quote Originally Posted by cologrower420

I know this is an old post but...it's funny you're so hard on these "caregivers" Pre 1284 this is were a lot of MMC's got their meds, yes from the very same caregivers. There are good and bad in each.

Apparently nobody's heard of "Oaksrerdam" run by UC Berkley, in Oakland CA so I say nice, but NOT the first.

Er "Oaksterdam"