Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1695 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Trichomes and the harvest

How long is the optimal harvesting window open?Lets say I discover my trichomes are clear to milky white today for the first time, its 6-7 weeks into flowering(is this about the time for a perfect harvest?)I then start flushing immediatly w/ a solution. How long would it takes for the trichomes to amber up and my "optimal Harvest" window to close?
    \"Just doing what I can, w/ what I got\"

Quote Originally Posted by lampost
    Also, let us know where you picked up that wet, soggy bud so we can avoid the place.

That's become one of my biggest pet peeves lately: getting some nice-looking bud home and realizing it's too wet to smoke!! Shit, I've got my own stuff curing up in jars. I bought some herb at the dispensary to smoke TODAY while I wait for my own, NOT to have to continue their cure for them for another 2 weeks!!

You can't tell moisture levels by looking either so its really frustrating.

Yeah--I have been hearing that about a lot of dispensories too. I think they're anxious to get the product on the shelf--so they harvest early--don't dry enough--and most times don't spare the time to let it cure.

3.   Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by steezyd
    How long is the optimal harvesting window open?Lets say I discover my trichomes are clear to milky white today for the first time, its 6-7 weeks into flowering(is this about the time for a perfect harvest?)I then start flushing immediatly w/ a solution. How long would it takes for the trichomes to amber up and my "optimal Harvest" window to close?
    From what I have been reading I believe you have a 10 to 14 day window. Also--for patients with certain conditions--a clear to cloudy harvest works better and with others a amber or later harvest works better.

It's still science right now.

I prefer indicias and the more amber the better for me. :thumbsup:

If smoke a pure sativa (clear,cloudy or amber), I have to go and dig out my diazepam or some really strong beer to combat my anxiety issues. :jointsmile:

Yup. Personal preference sure plays a big role. For PTSD I like the headier up from a good stavia. I'm not sure why but it just gets me where I need to be in a way that the indica buzz doesn't. I have friends who prefer the opposite. I should note that I'm pretty far out of the weeds now with my PTSD (no pun intended). Therapy and time (as in years) were very important factors. I find the meds just smooth out the sharp edges and spike that crop up every so often. It is amazing the way the mind works. Touch, sight, smell, and sound can all bring it out in an instant. The smell of diesel is a sure fire trigger for me. It just brings it all into focus again. Sucks because I'd like to get a diesel motor... another one is Jeep headlights coming at me at night. I can pick them out from half a mile.

Anyone else notice that the early harvest stuff can exacerbate arthritic pain? I have intermittent pains from some hairline fractures and arthritic pain throughout my body. Please excuse the ignorance on the exact medical descriptions here, but my observations are valid. I've had strains like Jilly Bean and an early harvest Sweet Tooth that brings out the pain in the joints of my hands on days when they are not hurting. True Blue, or DJ's Blueberry and anything displaying the qualities of Afghan genetics seems to always kill the pain when at least mostly cloudy. This includes the usual joint pains from repetitive motion and those occasional 'knots' in the neck and shoulder area. In addition, after sitting at a computer for an extended period of time, my neck and back tense or lock up. The True Blue especially causes this effect that feels like the loosening of a knot of muscles, restoring freedom of movement and washing away the pain. However, when taking the True Blue super early, say 30-50% cloudy trichomes, the relief/kick is just not there.

I have noticed the pain relief qualities seem to go hand in hand with what I'm told are Indicas and especially strains of Afghan heritage. In addition, they seem to accompany the calming effects, while the Sativa dominant strains can stress me out, give me a headache, make me excitable, paranoid or just plain annoying. I have an OG Kush cutting, supposedly one of a few Sativa dom Kushes (leaves agree). At 30-50% cloudy, it's a range between 'a little harsh' to 'mildly stoned'. Fully cloudy is 'very stoned', I couldn't say actual pain relief, but you're too involved in what you're doing to care too much. Maybe I can tell you how amber is on that one, one day...

Worth mentioning is that some of the best pain relief I have received is from tiny Afghan buds with lots of thick stems (Denver MMCs: Afghooey, Afghan, Afghanica). Not visually appealing (equals cheaper), but excellent pain relief.

From my own personal experience, and this may be related to my old eyes, I find that tricomes can look cloudy even as soon as they appear on the buds. Sometimes if the light is a little different they suddenly look clear. Just wait until you see about 5% brown or abmer trichomes before you harvest.

I did this last year and everyone is saying my weed is the best around. Even the guys in Santa Cruz like it better than their local product. I did a poor job curing several of them and screwed the pooch on the taste but they are still chronically stoney. I did cure my best plants correctly (Blue Dream and Sour Diesel so they taste and look good and are of course very stony.:stoned:

Quote Originally Posted by feefigreenthumb
    Anyone else notice that the early harvest stuff can exacerbate arthritic pain? I have intermittent pains from some hairline fractures and arthritic pain throughout my body. Please excuse the ignorance on the exact medical descriptions here, but my observations are valid. I've had strains like Jilly Bean and an early harvest Sweet Tooth that brings out the pain in the joints of my hands on days when they are not hurting. True Blue, or DJ's Blueberry and anything displaying the qualities of Afghan genetics seems to always kill the pain when at least mostly cloudy. This includes the usual joint pains from repetitive motion and those occasional 'knots' in the neck and shoulder area. In addition, after sitting at a computer for an extended period of time, my neck and back tense or lock up. The True Blue especially causes this effect that feels like the loosening of a knot of muscles, restoring freedom of movement and washing away the pain. However, when taking the True Blue super early, say 30-50% cloudy trichomes, the relief/kick is just not there.

I have noticed the pain relief qualities seem to go hand in hand with what I'm told are Indicas and especially strains of Afghan heritage. In addition, they seem to accompany the calming effects, while the Sativa dominant strains can stress me out, give me a headache, make me excitable, paranoid or just plain annoying. I have an OG Kush cutting, supposedly one of a few Sativa dom Kushes (leaves agree). At 30-50% cloudy, it's a range between 'a little harsh' to 'mildly stoned'. Fully cloudy is 'very stoned', I couldn't say actual pain relief, but you're too involved in what you're doing to care too much. Maybe I can tell you how amber is on that one, one day...

Worth mentioning is that some of the best pain relief I have received is from tiny Afghan buds with lots of thick stems (Denver MMCs: Afghooey, Afghan, Afghanica). Not visually appealing (equals cheaper), but excellent pain relief.
    I as well have quite a bit of pain from arthritis and other conditions. I have found that the best pain relief I can get comes not from smoking, but from green dragon tincture especially for my lumbar spine pain and a topical balm made from the roots. I am estactic over the medicinal properties of the roots as far as a topical pain reliever. It is without a doubt the best relief I get for my knees and ankles from arthritis.

I am going to make a batch of Green Dragon in the near future. I finally read the thread and it looks like good info. I still have lots of buds to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by feefigreenthumb

I had the same issue a number of years ago after a broken leg. I couldn't smoke early to mid mature herb for 2 months, it increased the pain quite a bit. Back then I didn't know and just assumed(probably correctly)that it increased my sense of touch. It certainly lies true for hearing. Years later my Uncle was terminally ill and tired of codeine etc. I gave him some late harvest, and he reported it worked well for pain relief.
    \"There is nothing new under the sun\".

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast