Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1318 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Failed initial 50ng/ml screen but PASSED 15ng/ml lab test?

Hey all, getting ready to pass a drug test so I quit smoking on 3-25. I wanted to make sure I'd pass so I went to a lab to test myself on 4-12 (18 days). Former bowl a day smoker of dank bud, 190lbs, 6', average metabolism, male, ride my bike 2 miles a day.

I took a 5-panel test and to my great surprise I failed the initial screen at 50 ng/ml. They sent it to the lab for additional GC/MS confirmation at 15ng/ml, and I called back the next day and they showed that I PASSED.

How is this possible? I thought the lab test was stricter, hence the lower cut off. Does this mean the initial test was a false positive? Or worse, could the lab test have been faulty? I just want to make sure I'll pass my test, it'll probably come around 4-23.
    marcosnell42 Reviewed by marcosnell42 on . Failed initial 50ng/ml screen but PASSED 15ng/ml lab test? Hey all, getting ready to pass a drug test so I quit smoking on 3-25. I wanted to make sure I'd pass so I went to a lab to test myself on 4-12 (18 days). Former bowl a day smoker of dank bud, 190lbs, 6', average metabolism, male, ride my bike 2 miles a day. I took a 5-panel test and to my great surprise I failed the initial screen at 50 ng/ml. They sent it to the lab for additional GC/MS confirmation at 15ng/ml, and I called back the next day and they showed that I PASSED. How is this Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

What likely happened was an inexperienced tech who've misinterpreted a faint line on the Immunoassay as a "fail" and sent it off to the GC/MS. When that happens, the sample would come back as a negative. A faint line still counts as a line, which translates a negative - sample being below the 50ng threshold.

Its a common misconception that the GC/MS is a more "stricter" , or "sensitive" test than the I/A. Its not so. The GC/MS is just more accurate. In actuality, a 50ng I/A screen is equivalent to the 15ng GC/MS. Their cutoff thresholds are numerically different because the I/A screen recognizes the composition of all 31 THC metabolite concentrations, while the GC/MS recognizes only one, which is the most prevalent metabolite concentration (THC-COOH).
    To test negative on the I/A, the whole composite of the 31 metab concentrations must register below 50ng.
    To test negative on the GC/MS, only that one metabolite concentration must register below 15ng

That makes sense. To be honest, she showed me my test, and there was one dark line, and one extremely (extremely) faint line. I'd taken a home test and got a faint line but this was even fainter, one shade above invisible. So I guess I should chill out.

Quote Originally Posted by marcosnell42
    That makes sense. To be honest, she showed me my test, and there was one dark line, and one extremely (extremely) faint line. I'd taken a home test and got a faint line but this was even fainter, one shade above invisible. So I guess I should chill out.
    i keep getting the same result and i dont really kno if im passing or not.
    line is very very faint.. can be seen better when kind of under light... so i dont kno if im passing these home tests or not... so i keep telling myself that i am failing. so im confused too