Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1455 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

can't understand christian justification of Old Testament

i don't think anyone denies that the old testament in the bible speaks of and condones horrible acts of inhumanity, often in the form of law or proverb. i also understand that christians believe when jesus came he essentially modified or "fulfilled the law,â? therefore, how things were done. For this reason christians don't practice most of the barbaric laws promoted in the old testament any longer.

for example...
    "He that curseth his father, or his mother, shall surely be put to death."(Exodus 21:17)

obviously this would not be condoned by your average modern day christian. they would respond something like, "that was the old testament law. jesus came and fulfilled the law so we are under new testament law now. god's law now promotes more of a 'mercy triumphs over judgmentâ?? type theme."

i get what they believe. i believed it for 23 years including 5 years as an ordained minister. the thing i feel most of them are not grasping is the gravity of is how messed up and disgusting it is nonetheless.

it was simple revelations like this that led me away from a worldview that defends the bible as the literal WORD OF GOD. even if several thousand years after the matter god changed the theme of how things worked, it cannot justify in any way, shape, or form the idea that god (at ANY point in human history) not only promoted these barbaric practices but ultimately was the author and final enforcer of them.

Before anyone responds please take a moment and imagine these images in your head.
    - Exodus 21:17-> throwing stones at your child until he/she bleeds to death at your very feet
    - Psalm 137:8-9-> being blessed from "dashing" baby after baby after baby of your enemy against blood and flesh covered rocks
    - the list goes on but is the point not blatantly clear?

I sincerely cannot understand how anyone can believe, love, trust in a supposed all-knowing, all-powerful, all-loving god who would ever mandate, let alone tolerate anything this close to â??evilâ? as clearly described in his â??holy word.â?
    hazetwostep Reviewed by hazetwostep on . can't understand christian justification of Old Testament i don't think anyone denies that the old testament in the bible speaks of and condones horrible acts of inhumanity, often in the form of law or proverb. i also understand that christians believe when jesus came he essentially modified or "fulfilled the law,â? therefore, how things were done. For this reason christians don't practice most of the barbaric laws promoted in the old testament any longer. for example... "He that curseth his father, or his mother, shall surely be put to Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

I try not to get into these things as I am not sure what I am only that I am.

What you say gives one alot to think about. First one has to think about the mind set of the people at the time just as your mind set now.

In all of time I don't think the God of Abraham has changed. Not one little bit.

In the beginning God told Ab to kill his son as a sign of faith. Why would this god change.

One must have the strength to stone ones own child for the good of the whole tribe. The good of the many out wieght the good of the few or the one.

It's a brutal world only if you look at it that way. Can you imagine how old Ab talked us into cutting off our foreskin as a covinent. I would of like to been a the fire that night.

The first thing the young cast aside are manners.
    The first thing the new does is cast aside the old.

Has god changed or has man ?

Its nice to see people finally taking a rational look at religion and see all the horror it has caused. Hopefully there will be a day when all bigotry is gone and society can move forward into a more pure science. If you get a chance watch the movie Bill Maher produced called Religulous. It takes a humerous look at all religions but with a core of truth.

I think it is just human nature to use whatever tool we can to justify our actions. but, I agree with you, there is no rational way to justify violence, especially the graphic violence described in the old testament.

I think, this is the appeal to some people who believed in what Jesus was trying to say at the time, before they nailed him to a cross.

Personally, I think Jesus was just a man, but a pretty cool one who had some good ideas. his idea of teaching one to fish so that they eat for a lifetime could be the libertarian creed. :smokin:

I agree with Loc Nar, "I am not sure what I am only that I am."
    [align=center]:s4:
    bring \'em all home.

[/align]

@ MT
    I've never seen this site. It's interesting.

In any case, as I've gotten older (and wiser, perhaps), I've come to the realization that MOST religions are just BS. The rules that people follow can change according to the societal rules and the people who follow them are usually too brainwashed into ever changing their opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by MTbudman
    Awesome site! :thumbsup:

I can be a bit repetitive, but the logic is sound.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBlazer
    Awesome site! :thumbsup:

I can be a bit repetitive, but the logic is sound.

LOL.. It can be repetitive but so is Gods word...lol

i was hoping to receive understanding from a christian perspective. normally i find christians are excited to comment on this site with questions regarding the bible. did you scare them off blueblazer??

Quote Originally Posted by hazetwostep
    i was hoping to receive understanding from a christian perspective. normally i find christians are excited to comment on this site with questions regarding the bible. did you scare them off blueblazer??
    Who me? No way man. :chainsaw:

I think the problem you have here is that most Christians are not very knowledgeable of what is actually in the old testament to begin with. Those that are knowledgeable tend to be uncomfortable with the contradictions. They prefer to leave it to theologians and ministers to figure out how the two testaments' depictions of god can coexist.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast