Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1559 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

I-1068: The numbers just don't add up

I'm sorry but, 250 THOUSAND signatures, by July 2nd?!

If you look at the number of businesses where you can sign I-1068, I'm guessing it may be around 100 businesses. They need about 1,000 signatures to help the initiative in any substantial way (100x1000=100,000), you're less that half way there. Do you really think 1,000 people coming through the doors of places like 'Queen Bean Espresso' or 'Frankieā??s Sportsbar' are going feel compelled to sign?

You have to think about where the other 150,000 signatures are going to come from. Even if you got every single person in a few universities to sign, that wouldn't be enough. And you wouldn't have that of course in any case. Best for something like this to aim for 10% or under at universities. That leaves canvassing from volunteers on foot to come up with the rest. It's just way too unachievable.

Especially from a movement whose website was created in January, and was supposedly slow to start getting going. This isn't the balls-to-the-wall action that would be needed for something that requires getting 250,000 signatures.

Why not attempt to write an initiative that sounds much more 'save the economy and tax it', like in California, or even what Oregon is doing? HB 2401 seems to have had much more of a shot about changing things in the state. But of course, failed in the 'House Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Committee'. Why not devote time to seeing what could be changed with what was presented there in order to succeed next time. What do we need to do to get something passed in the senate? Etc. etc. Right now I feel like I01968 is just throwing something out there (which is a long shot) and seeing what happens.

Am I wrong?

Rep. Roger Goodman, Kirkland, who cosponsored HB 2401 with Rep. Mary Lou Dickerson, Seattle, says "It will be very easy to get those signatures."

I really hope that I am wrong but we have to be realistic. Why get our hopes up for this? Did YOU sign it yet?

Where To Sign I-1068 | Sensible Washington
    Bills to legalize marijuana fail to 'old generation'; new measure may go on ballot
    Qbert6000 Reviewed by Qbert6000 on . I-1068: The numbers just don't add up I'm sorry but, 250 THOUSAND signatures, by July 2nd?! If you look at the number of businesses where you can sign I-1068, I'm guessing it may be around 100 businesses. They need about 1,000 signatures to help the initiative in any substantial way (100x1000=100,000), you're less that half way there. Do you really think 1,000 people coming through the doors of places like 'Queen Bean Espresso' or 'Frankieā??s Sportsbar' are going feel compelled to sign? You have to think about where the Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

Its not looking too good for the intiative. They probably should have put it off till next year to get more time to be organized. A guy has been setting up at the Baibridge Isl ferry and I guess he's got about 800 sigs in 2 weeks.

There is still over 90 days left to collect signatures. What's all the negativity about????? Some one should have a count of what they have so far. I got 1500 in a few days for Stop the Nukes a few years ago, in a small town and that made it to the ballot. And, I registered voters too. Hit the Safeways and other super markets and dress normally. Stand on the street corners in the cities and ask people. :wtf:

No I really appreciate the effort. I do, I hope it works. 250,000 just seems like an astronomical number compared to Oregon's 81,000 that it needs. And Washington's only got 6.5 million people. Isn't that 1 in every 25 people needing to sign?

It will be interesting to see what the numbers are in the first hard count on April 1st.

Well I am going to get petitions today and start knocking on doors in Washougal.

I plan on meeting the dude today at the WallyWorld on 104th in Vancouver to get them, I understand the petitions will be circulated there today.

If you can, and have neighbors, contact these folks, get petitions and get the signatures you can...just make sure they are registered voters.

WE CAN DO THIS

THINK POSITIVE

Without solicitating major donations, and hiring paid, professional signature gatherers, I doubt it'll make the ballot. I hope I'm wrong.

At a guess, I'd say it'd take about 80-100k to push it to the ballot -- to absolutly ensure there are enough signatures.

And on the downside, with this July 2nd deadline, they are missing every major festival in the area (hempfest, Folklife, Bumpbershoot, Seafair, 4th of july fireworks, Cirqe, et cetera). Having the ability to gather signatures at the festivals that take place July through Sept would have been a huge bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by jackmillions
    Without solicitating major donations, and hiring paid, professional signature gatherers, I doubt it'll make the ballot. I hope I'm wrong.

At a guess, I'd say it'd take about 80-100k to push it to the ballot -- to absolutly ensure there are enough signatures.

And on the downside, with this July 2nd deadline, they are missing every major festival in the area (hempfest, Folklife, Bumpbershoot, Seafair, 4th of july fireworks, Cirqe, et cetera). Having the ability to gather signatures at the festivals that take place July through Sept would have been a huge bonus.
    Well, the Mariners are gonna be playing and people should be at the home games. It will take a few gatherers there and I'm sure they will hit the place. :thumbsup:

justpics

Quote Originally Posted by jackmillions

I've never heard a logical reason why Hempfest, a Hemp/Cannabis gathering that sees close to half a million people show up each year, can not be moved to the last weekend of June.

That would reduce the cost to run a ballot initiative for any Hemp/Cannabis issue by huge amounts...just don't get it.