Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1710 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

UVb-UVa

I did the best I could to try to understand the threads regarding the topic, but could not assimilate via the written word. Stopped in my local horti- shop yesterday and asked. Interesting theorys.

I was/am considering adding another light fixture to my flower room. Would using a MH in one end of the flower area and moving the plants that are closest to finishing under that light improve my yield and trichome content?

Currently the flower area is a 1000 W HPS.

If you did this what wattage for the finishing light?

Of course we are talking high quality bulbs too.

I hope you understood my question it is difficult to follow that sentence.
    WashougalWonder Reviewed by WashougalWonder on . UVb-UVa I did the best I could to try to understand the threads regarding the topic, but could not assimilate via the written word. Stopped in my local horti- shop yesterday and asked. Interesting theorys. I was/am considering adding another light fixture to my flower room. Would using a MH in one end of the flower area and moving the plants that are closest to finishing under that light improve my yield and trichome content? Currently the flower area is a 1000 W HPS. If you did this what Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

UVb-UVa

I've done something similar using self-ballasted 175w Mercury Vapor bulbs for uv enhancement. They did seem to frost up nicely. Unfortunately the bulbs didn't last long and put out some serious heat. Got'em off Ebay 4 for $35 or so, if I recall correctly. Ended up using 10000k CFLs near the end with good results but not as pronounced as the MV bulbs. Probably not enough wattage. A 250MH might be the way to go. From what I'm learning now I think a couple halogens for the last few days can help to ripen your trics too.

UVb-UVa

In looking at the light spectrum of the bulbs, interestingly the 400 mh put out better numbers in the curve of the blue spectrum, than a 1000 mh, same brand. The kid explained that was the spectrum I wanted for the least $$ per kwh.

My concern is will it hurt the other plants under the hps (in the same grow area) to have both lights going at the same time, just the finishers closer to the 400? Crap I have re-written the question 6 times and not sure yet if I asked what I mean. Don't feel so well today. Need to get stoned so I can think straight

You see I was thinking on adding more lumens to the flower room anyhow. If the addition of both spectrums of light helps and doesn't hurt them the question about what to do answers itself.

On the other hand, if I have to put them back in the veg room, that screws up so much stuff I just as well have another room and that is not worth it to me.

UVb-UVa

The HPS and the MH will complement each other. :thumbsup:

As for increased trichs?
    You know how to find out, yah?

Then we'll all know.

Aloha,
    Weezarf

UVb-UVa

I don't think additional light on the rest of the plants in the room is ever a bad thing. The additional blue if anything will toughen up the stalks allowing more weight. No need to worry about separating them. The more the merrier when it comes to lighting. As long as you keep can the temp under control its all good. I've heard good things about 3000k MH bulbs when used in addition to HPS.

UVb-UVa

I only have about one month a year where heat is an issue, and about 2 months where cold is an issue.

I have often wondered why we narrow down the light band for flower. (The sun never really has a different light band does it?) Time always seems to be the important factor.

Maybe I will go spend some money tomorrow.

:hippy:Ya man, I got my mini microscope, and I know my ladies well.

:rastasmoke: Ahhhh, sounds like a plan to me.

UVb-UVa

Quote Originally Posted by WashougalWonder
    I only have about one month a year where heat is an issue, and about 2 months where cold is an issue.

I have often wondered why we narrow down the light band for flower. (The sun never really has a different light band does it?

Actually, yes it does.
    Depending on your lattitude and season there can be quite a spectral shift.

) Time always seems to be the important factor.

Maybe I will go spend some money tomorrow.

:hippy:Ya man, I got my mini microscope, and I know my ladies well.

That's all it takes.:thumbsup:

:rastasmoke: Ahhhh, sounds like a plan to me.
    Hope ya don't mind if I lurk and kibbitz occasionally.
    Would like to see if the "Emerson effect" applies.

Aloha,
    Weezard

UVb-UVa

Oh not at all, you tickle my funny button.

UVb-UVa

Well I added a 400 MH with the Hortilux (spendy) bulb. Took a picture of the buds that are 2 weeks out. Guess I am doing my own experiment. I have pics of some of those species finished without the blue.

UVb-UVa

Quote Originally Posted by WashougalWonder
    I have often wondered why we narrow down the light band for flower. (The sun never really has a different light band does it?)
    From what I gather, the sun is in a different position in the sky in early summer, than it is in the fall. Different sun-angle through our atmosphere alters the spectrum giving the plant not only daylength and temperature indicators to upcoming winter, but light spectrum clues as well.

I heard this years ago, and never investigated the issue further. Kinda made sense, but I'm no expert. :thumbsup:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Amount:

Enter a message for the receiver:
BE SOCIAL
GreenGrassForums On Facebook