Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1513 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Outdoor Growing in a Tropical Region

Hey everyone,

Alright, this is my first grow, so I'm super inexperienced although I've been reading quite a bit online. I'm growing outdoor, from seeds found in a bag.

The climate is
    Temperature: 25-30 Celcius
    Humidity: 70-80%
    light/dark: 12/12 year-round
    Sun: Mostly sunny where the plants are planted

I have some specific questions i was hoping someone could answer:

1. Any differences in the soil mix suggested commonly on these forums? It's humid here so water doesnt evaporate nearly as fast. Should the soil be more sandy, less organic, etc?

2. Watering less often? wait until the surface gets dry right? that's like every 5 days or something here..

3. Biggest question!! When is this thing gonna bloom?? I know you change the light to 12/12 when you want it to bloom - well that's year-round here. Soo, does the plant just grow to a certain size and start blooming, or does it react to seasonal changes(wet season/dry season being the only change lol), or what?

4. The other main concern - mold. Is it going to be susceptible to mold? it is fairly breezy where the plants are located, will that be enough to stop mold from forming when it buds? what should i look for in terms of molds?

Thats about it at least for now.. Excited to see how this turns out!!
    patrickg Reviewed by patrickg on . Outdoor Growing in a Tropical Region Hey everyone, Alright, this is my first grow, so I'm super inexperienced although I've been reading quite a bit online. I'm growing outdoor, from seeds found in a bag. The climate is Temperature: 25-30 Celcius Humidity: 70-80% light/dark: 12/12 year-round Sun: Mostly sunny where the plants are planted Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by patrickg
    Hey everyone,

Alright, this is my first grow, so I'm super inexperienced although I've been reading quite a bit online. I'm growing outdoor, from seeds found in a bag.

The climate is
    Temperature: 25-30 Celcius
    Humidity: 70-80%
    Sun: Mostly sunny where the plants are planted

I have some specific questions i was hoping someone could answer:

1. Any differences in the soil mix suggested commonly on these forums? It's humid here so water doesnt evaporate nearly as fast. Should the soil be more sandy, less organic, etc?

Good drainage is advised.
    2. Watering less often? wait until the surface gets dry right? that's like every 5 days or something here..

Depends on the drainage.

3. Biggest question!! When is this thing gonna bloom??

That, depends on the strain, mostly.

I know you change the light to 12/12 when you want it to bloom - well that's year-round here. Soo, does the plant just grow to a certain size and start blooming,
    Yes.
    And that size, depends on mostly the strain as well.

or does it react to seasonal changes(wet season/dry season being the only change lol), or what?

4. The other main concern - mold. Is it going to be susceptible to mold?

Yes, very..

it is fairly breezy where the plants are located, will that be enough to stop mold from forming when it buds? what should i look for in terms of molds?

In the tropic, Powdery Mildew and bud rot.
    Here's a rot shot.

[attachment=o231328]

Thats about it at least for now.. Excited to see how this turns out!!
    Generally best to start, and veg under lights at 16/8 or 18/6 near the equator.
    When they are about half the height you want them to finish at, put them out.

Aloha,
    Weezard

I know you change the light to 12/12 when you want it to bloom - well that's year-round here.
    You're kidding, right? :what:
    Need advice wth plant problems?
    Use this form:
    http://boards.cannabis.com/plant-pro...ing-forms.html

Quote Originally Posted by DreadedHermie
    You're kidding, right? :what:
    Nope, he shits you not.

But it can be used to one's advantage.

Weeze

PS
    It's your move.
    Everyt\'ing: http://cannabis.com/growing/index.html:thumbsup:

Plants do things for a reason..they don\'t just decide one day to get root rot or act funny. - Weedhound :clap:

\"It ain\'t what you don\'t know that gets you into trouble. It\'s what you know for sure that just ain\'t so.\"
    - Mark Twain

\"http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~linda%20chalker-scott/\"
    Mythbuster! Thanks to- Rusty Trichome

Outstanding--Everything's an autoflower! Welcome, Patrickg...
    Use this form:

Issack on da IC has a novel solution for vegging in da tropics.:thumbsup:
    He put his girls on wheels and rolls them under a light for 4 hours in the evening until they are huge.
    Then he just leaves them out-doors when they are about 3 or 4' tall.
    Grows some monsters that way with a low energy cost.
    Smart guy.

Aloha,
    Weezard

I would save some energy cost on Hermie's back by lighting the plants in place (if at all possible).

12 hours of tropical sun should be enough photonic energy to veg a pretty nice plant. All you'd need to provide for the additional 4 hours is enough light to prevent onset of flowering--not "growth-sustaining-level" light.

Would near-invisible light work? That's the lazyman way. Light 'em up in place, with light ya can't hardly see. Those ledengin deeps are starting to get invisible @ 735nm. Probably only need some kind of blue, though (?)
    Use this form:

Actually, a few minute of white light, 2 hours after sundown would probably be enough keep 'em in veg.
    Issack is serious 'bout it though, and gives them 4 extra hours of 1KW HPS.
    So far, I'm impressed with his soil mix too.
    It's actually keeping up with coco!

Aloha
    an' sorry for da hijack.
    Weeze
    Everyt\'ing: http://cannabis.com/growing/index.html:thumbsup:

Plants do things for a reason..they don\'t just decide one day to get root rot or act funny. - Weedhound :clap:

\"It ain\'t what you don\'t know that gets you into trouble. It\'s what you know for sure that just ain\'t so.\"
    - Mark Twain

\"http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~linda%20chalker-scott/\"
    Mythbuster! Thanks to- Rusty Trichome

wow thanks for the responses guys i appreciate it! so i'd need to buy a grow light for that correct? I'd like to just throw the light switch on the balcony on for a couple hours each night but i guess that wont work will it hahaha.. well i'd like it to get some growth in before it starts flowering so maybe i'll buy somethin... Thanks - the light issue was my biggest head-scratcher..

and sorry if this is a dumb question, but who is Isaack on the IC - how do i get the info?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast