Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1841 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Fungus Gnats

Im pretty sure I have a fungus gnat problem, there are a ton of them, but only on a few plants, the ones with my buddies shitty soil in them, but one plant in particular is getting annihilated. Any products recommended for that?

-C
    ForgetClassC Reviewed by ForgetClassC on . Fungus Gnats Im pretty sure I have a fungus gnat problem, there are a ton of them, but only on a few plants, the ones with my buddies shitty soil in them, but one plant in particular is getting annihilated. Any products recommended for that? -C Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

Fungus Gnats

Quote Originally Posted by ForgetClassC
    Im pretty sure I have a fungus gnat problem, there are a ton of them, but only on a few plants, the ones with my buddies shitty soil in them, but one plant in particular is getting annihilated. Any products recommended for that?

-C
    Hot Shots: No Pest Strips :thumbsup:

Be sure to only have it in there maybe 12 hours out the day for a few days and that should clear up the problem. Some would not recommend the stuff, but it works.

Also, they are harmless to your plants, just give them a little hand-to-hand combat!

Fungus Gnats

Cut pieces of the no pest strip to about 3 inches and stick on a popcycle stick and stick it the soil near your plant. You will get alot more there. Do 2 or 3 of those and they will find it easy. No more problems.

Fungus Gnats

Amazing. Yeah me and my buddy have been putting old wine in little containers, works really well, they go in it and die, but there is alot more gnats, and we want them gone. We moved my pretty little lady from her home into the other ladies home, hopefully all ends well, thanks again.

-C

Fungus Gnats

Found this link:
    FUNGUS GNAT MANAGEMENT

Don't know the difference between types, but Gnatrol works for me!

As always,
    Horsemanrocks

Fungus Gnats

If you are growing organically, fungus gnats lay eggs in the soil, so you can sprinkle diatomaceous earth onto the soil surface. It feels like a white powder, but is made of microscopic shells that cut the larva to pieces when they hatch and try to move.

The silica content is a nutrient to plants too.

You can purchase it at some nurseries (call around, most don't carry it) or in pool supply stores.

Fungus Gnats

I had really good success with just plain ol' flystrips. I hung one up and within a few days, it was entirely coated with fungus gnats.... like a nappy whole-grain cracker.

Fungus Gnats

Make sure you've got them identified as fungus gnats rather than thrips. If you are seeing damage to your plants, thrips are the more likely culprit, as fungus gnats aren't going to chomp on your plants. Thrips are smaller and it is the larvae that cause damage. Fungus gnats are a slightly larger, plumper, bug with larger wings relative to their body size, and can only live and breed in a grow area that has stagnant water or soggy soil in it somewhere- floor, overwatered pots, the runoff trays beneath them... which you shouldn't have a anyway. Remove the excess water from your grow and any fungus gnat problem will go with it. Thrips require a more concerted effort to remove; one simple trick is to cut a slit in a paper plate and slip it over the top of the pot, preventing the larvae from dropping to the soil to pupate and emerge into sexual adults.
    Good luck.