Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1688 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Know what states protect patients from other states?

I know the Michigan law states, "A registry identification card, or its equivalent, that is issued under the laws of another state, district, territory, commonwealth, or insular possession of the United States that allows the medical use of marihuana by a visiting qualifying patient, or to allow a person to assist with a visiting qualifying patient's medical use of marihuana, shall have the same force and effect as a registry identification card issued by the department."
    Do the other states have similiar writings, and does anyone have any experience with traveling or moving with your card?
    Aastrandock Reviewed by Aastrandock on . Know what states protect patients from other states? I know the Michigan law states, "A registry identification card, or its equivalent, that is issued under the laws of another state, district, territory, commonwealth, or insular possession of the United States that allows the medical use of marihuana by a visiting qualifying patient, or to allow a person to assist with a visiting qualifying patient's medical use of marihuana, shall have the same force and effect as a registry identification card issued by the department." Do the other states Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Aastrandock
    I know the Michigan law states, "A registry identification card, or its equivalent, that is issued under the laws of another state, district, territory, commonwealth, or insular possession of the United States that allows the medical use of marihuana by a visiting qualifying patient, or to allow a person to assist with a visiting qualifying patient's medical use of marihuana, shall have the same force and effect as a registry identification card issued by the department."
    Do the other states have similiar writings, and does anyone have any experience with traveling or moving with your card?
    AFAIK the only other states that offer reciprocity are MT and RI, but in MT it still doesn't allow you to obtain meds from a cg in that state lol.
    I moved to Colo from Cali, Cali card is worthless here.

I'll have to check the other state laws then, I think. It doesn't make much sense, but I think if the states were to uphold the rights of the others, would it not be more of a union (united states?) and also press the feds to make the changes we all want to see? I'm sure that may be why they haven't, but at least MI is on the right track. Hopefully, this clause will spread to the other states. It would make moving and re-applying much easier!

does that mean that someone from say wisconsin could get their medical card then just travel to (upper) michigan everytime they need meds?

That's the way I'm reading it. If a cardholder has a card from another state, he/she is treated the same as a cardholder of this state.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnhigh
    but in MT it still doesn't allow you to obtain meds from a cg in that state lol.
    Ya in MT you can posses, and its legal for you to buy from anyone, but Illegal for a caregiver to sell to anyone other than their patient

Actually, this whole issue is up in the air, given the conflict between the decision of the Supreme Court vs State law. It held, in part that doctors could be prosecuted for compassionate use in a non-ok state. My doctor in CA spent most of his money fighting for 3 years refusing to give the feds his patient lists, etc. Supreme bases their position on the interstate commerce clause. the decision can probably be found on findlaw.com, i'll try and do some better research when i get home next week.