Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1636 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fimming and Topping question

I understand fimming and topping, how to do it, what it does, how it helps....all that good stuff....but my question is...why exactly does it stimulate the plant to create more branches? just wonderin....been on my mind the past couple days
    Gunner420 Reviewed by Gunner420 on . Fimming and Topping question I understand fimming and topping, how to do it, what it does, how it helps....all that good stuff....but my question is...why exactly does it stimulate the plant to create more branches? just wonderin....been on my mind the past couple days Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner420
    I understand fimming and topping, how to do it, what it does, how it helps....all that good stuff....but my question is...why exactly does it stimulate the plant to create more branches? just wonderin....been on my mind the past couple days
    When you cut off a top of any plant, the plant will go in "survival mode" per-se, meaning that it will attempt to restore the lost food manufactured by the plant. Consequently, meaning it stimulates sprouting and accelerated growth below the top if done right. Hope this helps some!

also, there is an enzyme in the growing tip, that keeps it taller than the other branches ... topping the plant, causes the next lower branches, to compete for the 'top spot' ... king of the hill

interesting....thanks for the info both of u

If your going to top your plants its a good idea to take off most of the lower branches as well. Do a search on lolipoping!

Bing bing bing IR got it first!!! I think it is by moving auxin down from the apical meristem into the rest of the plant. The auxin then inhibits the growth of the other stems.

Quote Originally Posted by JD1stTimer
    Bing bing bing IR got it first!!! I think it is by moving auxin down from the apical meristem into the rest of the plant. The auxin then inhibits the growth of the other stems.
    Why would inhibiting the growth of the other stems be beneficial?
    I thought topping was performed in order to have the other stems reach to a height similar to the apical meristem.
    :stoned:
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish

Nutrient Deficiencies

a meristem is a region of actively dividing cells. the apical meristem is applicable to both stems and roots. the lateral meristem is responsible for the thickening of the stem for support.

auxin is responsible for cell elongation. so when plants are illuminated from above auxin is evenly distributed among the stem making the plant grow straight towards the light. when a plant is receives light from a side the auxin is re-routed to the shaded cells thus causing more rapid growth than the side receiving the light. this is what causes the plant to grow towards the light. this is called phototropism or the curvature of a plant organ in response to light.

so when you top a plant, you are getting rid of the apical meristem and the auxin is then re-routed to the auxillary bud primordium that are laying dormant until they receive the auxin and they start to grow due to a new apical meristem. thus giving you two main colas instead of one.

jd, inihibits means to hinder, restrain or stop from growing.

sorry if this is a little confusing but we are getting down to the cellular level.

-shake

Quote Originally Posted by DOUGAL25
    Why would inhibiting the growth of the other stems be beneficial?
    it regulates the growth in the top branches so that the light can reach the whole of the plant, forming a top foliage reaching bush rather than the lower buds not getting the light and a less consistant canopy.

i guess you could call it the more light more bud rule, density and consistency is a major factor in breeds as well as LST thats what makes it awesome in my opinion

Peace,
    denial

Quote Originally Posted by denialisback
    it regulates the growth in the top branches so that the light can reach the whole of the plant, forming a top foliage reaching bush rather than the lower buds not getting the light and a less consistant canopy.

i guess you could call it the more light more bud rule, density and consistency is a major factor in breeds as well as LST thats what makes it awesome in my opinion

Peace,
    denial
    Also, another reason people take clones and do SOG....Helps more with an even canopy plus your using your lights max potential per se

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast