Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1635 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Does raising minimum wage cause inflation?

No. I think you might be confusing causation with correlation. Minimum wage is periodically raised to help keep up with the effects of inflation, but not to cause it. Having a means of credit and money as debt helps perpetuate inflation in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by jonquest
    inflation is an increase in the money supply.
    That is only partially true. A slim part..

3.   Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by IgotQuestions
    No. I think you might be confusing causation with correlation. Minimum wage is periodically raised to help keep up with the effects of inflation, but not to cause it. Having a means of credit and money as debt helps perpetuate inflation in my opinion.
    yes, i would agee, altho i'm no expert. the private federal reserve creates what is hoped small inflation to avoid the opposite effect of deflation, which would cause our assets to begin to lose value while our debt increased value. deflation would be a real disaster i hear. of course the other natural effect of inflation is that the people who print the money and sell it to our gov't make shitloads of profits on it while the rest of us get hosed daily without even seeing it. :twocents:

has anyone checked bit coin lately, it is now larger that some national currencies. this could be the solution to artificial induced inflation i hear.
    [align=center]:s4:
    bring \'em all home.

[/align]

Well inflation has little difference between fiat and deposit currency, more with the facilitation between production and trade. When you do increase the money supply, it becomes increasingly worthless which is the main definition of inflation. However, this can be offset by production and/or trade in the real world growing at the same rate of increased creation of debt (which is money, because without money there could be no debt and the other way is true as well).

The Government who prints the money (fiat currency) only makes up about 5% of total monetary value in the system. Money gets created and destroyed every second of every day. Do you wonder where the bank gets its money to give people who take out student, auto, home, or any other types of loans? It simply creates it out of nothing and writes it into your account or check for you.

its a silly question. minimum wage increases dont cause inflation to rise. its the reaction to it that does. all the way from you having more money to spend, employers feeling like they have less so bump up their prices etc etc etc etc.

hello. i like the avatar. cat-on-cat cruelty makes me happy. i see you have lost interest here. it was a good question. every time people begin answering economics, my head hurts. more pay does equal higher value for what the market share can support. it is greed, plain and simple. dollar values have been causing an internal devaluation of our currency with the systemic bail outs, rampant printing and spending, and bank-to-bank lending at near zero percent. our dollar keeps buying less and less, so stuff costs more and more= internal devaluation. eventually we will be using the money for wall paper once again- and future antique treasure hunters will discover these walls coated with worthless dollars of today- and make a fortune. today, the dollar is worth less than 5% of its value after the last great depression. prices do remain relative to what the market will support, but those poor people suffering at the base of human dignity need to be active consumers, and not just survivors, for a robust economy. if you are paying more than 25% of your income for rent or mortgage, i recommend you hook someone in a similar situation- to share the expense. tough times, indeed.:thumbsup:

Actually, things cost less today than they do in the 1930's compared to that of what the minimum wage is.

Contrary to most merchants, Costco is siding with Obama in his call to increase the federal minimum wage to $9 an hour. In fact, it would do the President one better, supporting a minimum hourly wage of $10.10.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123