Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1721 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

your predictions

Where do you think we will be techonoligically in 10 years, 50 years, and 75 years.
    5thHorseMan Reviewed by 5thHorseMan on . your predictions Where do you think we will be techonoligically in 10 years, 50 years, and 75 years. Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

your predictions

Interesting topic.
    The level of technilogical advancement we may or may not achieve I think would be based on how accepted certain technologies will be in the future.
    Will cloning ever be acceptable?
    Will fusion reactors ever be perfected?
    Will the backward ass American government ever legalize hemp?

My predictions are effected by these types of variables, but I'll give it a try.

10 to 15 years from now we will be seeing the beginnings of wet-link technology where humans begin to plug themselves into their computers and visa versa in more intimate ways than we currently do. Imagine things like your computer monitor and keyboard interface being replaced with a port that you connect your cerebral cortex directly to your computer processor.

40 to 50 years into the future we could see things like clean and sustainable sources of energy being in abundance rather that just in the experimental stages. Everyday appliances will be powered more and more by fusion technologies or perhaps something even better. Hopefully the burning of fossil fuels will be a laughable thing of the past.

60 to 75+ years in the future and we will be seeing the first off-world human colonies first on the moon then quickly thereafter Mars. Once colonies in remote locations become established the farming of deep space could begin. Mining outposts in kuiper belt, possibly collection of beneficial gasses from the outer layers of Jupiter and Saturn, Mar's moon Phobos would make an excellent interplanetary space port.
    The larger projects like mining asteroids and that type of thing wouldnt be for 100+ years I think, but it's possible.

Most important is the wild-card factor of human unity. Without the majority of the planet working as one all, or at least most, of this stuff will reamain the stuff of science fiction. I hope to see a move toward these things in my lifetime. The idea of bio-tech fusion is a little scary, but the rest is almost a necessity for human survival into the distant future.

your predictions

from the looks of things i think we'll be lucky to still be moving forward with technology in the next 75 years.

but until then, i think cell phones are going to take over the world. they're going to replace ipods, cameras, computers, pdas. i imagine that cell phones will eventually be able to do damn near anything.

your predictions

Cellphones will most definitely replace virtually all standalone personal tech.

I think what we will see within the next ten years is the consolidation and maturation of current technology. Hybrids becoming much more affordable, reliable, and efficient.

Decentralized manufacture, your gonna be hearing this phrase or one alot like getting thrown around more and more. Basically CAD and CNC technology, combined with more accessible machine manufacturing will wipe out alot of the centralised manufacturing of consumer goods. Instead of ordering a part for yur car from a shop, and that part being shipped from a factory somewhere, local dealerships or independants will simply machine the specific part you need, downloading the CNC file from the OEM's database. This kinda tech could spread to virtually all the non electronic products very quickly, and electronic products, like cellphones, TV, and such would eventually also be made in a less centralized way as well.

As far as space travel, it'll become more open and accessible to less wealthy countries. But I doubt we;ll be seeing any major developments here for at least the next ten years. The economic downturn and subsequent bailouts have wiped out much of NASA's future budget. They'll still pull off their next-gen manned space vehicles, maybe even a new series of moon landings. But Mars is scrapped, maybe not yet, but in the near future. Instead any major development will be the result of private enterprise.

your predictions

I believe that everything esoteric mentioned is already available cept maybe the fusion gen.
    I think an elite class will/is going to bore into the earth and move into space
    while the surface is bombarded with chemicals and radiation to jounce evolution. Producing subtypes of humans to be tailer made for different worlds or applications. Just like we engineer corn for different conditions.

your predictions

In Japan they are already testing phones that produce and project the holographic image of the person your talking to in 3D scale lifesize. Crazy. I dont really wanna look at the people Im calling to be honest. Unless its my naked wife. Nevermind.......I guess I do want that.

your predictions

i think technology will be our undoing, as a species we are far to complacient and ignorant. one day we will depend on it and it will not be there.:thumbsup:
    meded, so you can mededicate to mededitate

your predictions

Quote Originally Posted by MEDEDCANNABIS
    i think technology will be our undoing, as a species we are far to complacient and ignorant. one day we will depend on it and it will not be there.:thumbsup:
    Too much dependence on anything will put you in a world of hurt if it's suddenly gone. I don't see that happening with technology though.

Going beyond 75 years, the better question may be what will human beings be like? Technology is increasing the rate of mankind's evolution and the process is accelerating.

I could see bio computer technology eliminating all the current "gizmo" technology. Human babies would be implanted with nano computers and the whole human race would have immediate access to a weird biological version of the internet that will unfortunately resemble a hive mind. Or perhaps there will be a marriage of bio computer technology and gene research that leads to direct genetic engineering that eventually will permanently connect the entire human race.

Holy shit. I think I'll go smoke a bowl . . .

your predictions

Quote Originally Posted by higher4hockey
    from the looks of things i think we'll be lucky to still be moving forward with technology in the next 75 years.

but until then, i think cell phones are going to take over the world. they're going to replace ipods, cameras, computers, pdas. i imagine that cell phones will eventually be able to do damn near anything.
    It's happening faster than I would have thought. Smartphones are already capable of more than my desktop here, and I saw an ad for a full 3d display (no glasses) on a droid phone the other day.

your predictions

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric416
    Interesting topic.
    The level of technilogical advancement we may or may not achieve I think would be based on how accepted certain technologies will be in the future.
    Will cloning ever be acceptable?
    Will fusion reactors ever be perfected?
    Will the backward ass American government ever legalize hemp?

My predictions are effected by these types of variables, but I'll give it a try.

10 to 15 years from now we will be seeing the beginnings of wet-link technology where humans begin to plug themselves into their computers and visa versa in more intimate ways than we currently do. Imagine things like your computer monitor and keyboard interface being replaced with a port that you connect your cerebral cortex directly to your computer processor.

40 to 50 years into the future we could see things like clean and sustainable sources of energy being in abundance rather that just in the experimental stages. Everyday appliances will be powered more and more by fusion technologies or perhaps something even better. Hopefully the burning of fossil fuels will be a laughable thing of the past.

60 to 75+ years in the future and we will be seeing the first off-world human colonies first on the moon then quickly thereafter Mars. Once colonies in remote locations become established the farming of deep space could begin. Mining outposts in kuiper belt, possibly collection of beneficial gasses from the outer layers of Jupiter and Saturn, Mar's moon Phobos would make an excellent interplanetary space port.
    The larger projects like mining asteroids and that type of thing wouldnt be for 100+ years I think, but it's possible.

Most important is the wild-card factor of human unity. Without the majority of the planet working as one all, or at least most, of this stuff will reamain the stuff of science fiction. I hope to see a move toward these things in my lifetime. The idea of bio-tech fusion is a little scary, but the rest is almost a necessity for human survival into the distant future.
    I totally agree with your predictions - except for the timeline. I think it will all be very much accelerated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast