Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1941 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

DIY lighting ballast?

Hi
    I am planning on growing one mother plant and getting clones off of her over time. I was wondering, since im a little low on cash, if it would be possible to home-make a lighting ballast.

feedback is very much appreciated
    :rastasmoke:
    goldendomewreck Reviewed by goldendomewreck on . DIY lighting ballast? Hi I am planning on growing one mother plant and getting clones off of her over time. I was wondering, since im a little low on cash, if it would be possible to home-make a lighting ballast. feedback is very much appreciated :rastasmoke: Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

DIY lighting ballast?

Very risky, if you don't know what you are doing. Be safe, get one that is UL rated....:thumbsup:

DIY lighting ballast?

They are actually very easy to build. They only have 3 parts. The amp,ignitor and capacitor. You can find lots of kits online to build them.

DIY lighting ballast?

By the time you spend the money on the parts alone not counting the time involved in building one you could buy a digital ballast from Elite. 5yrs ago when I built mine that was not the case. If your talking about "building" one, doing the copper winding and attatching the magnet then that would be nuts. Do a search for "magnetic ballast" or "ballast kit" and just take a look at those prices. Then check Elitehydro.com in their electronic ballasts tag, I bought the Lumatek but they have other less expensive brands as well. I spent many hours researching the same thing just a month ago before I bought the digi. You might be able to find a really cheap supplier for a mag kit that I could not though.
    I love when my pocket smells like a skunk shit a jolly rancher on a pine tree.

Close the window, your\'e lett in\' the stank out!
    Oohhhh, boom goes the dynamite!

DIY lighting ballast?

You can build a magnetic ballast for about $100. You'll spend triple that for a digital.

DIY lighting ballast?

Killerweed, I listed the site right in my response bro. Let me remedy the confusion....Quantum 600w dimable electronic $177.....Lumatek elec ballasts:250w $115, 400w $133 600w $175...1000 $325. Even if it's a 1000w that Goldendome wants, why would a guy buy a ballast kit for $100 when a new xtrasun is $140 and a 400w is $91?.......$75 more than a mag kit for the highly desired 600w= no brainer
    I love when my pocket smells like a skunk shit a jolly rancher on a pine tree.

Close the window, your\'e lett in\' the stank out!
    Oohhhh, boom goes the dynamite!