Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1668 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

potting soil/perlite mixture

i've been reading up on mixing perlite with potting soil. i see a lot of 3:1, soil to perilite, mixes. i was wondering about everyones feelings on the subject. i'll be transplanting here in a bit and wanted to get it right. thanks ahead of time.

-shake
    headshake Reviewed by headshake on . potting soil/perlite mixture i've been reading up on mixing perlite with potting soil. i see a lot of 3:1, soil to perilite, mixes. i was wondering about everyones feelings on the subject. i'll be transplanting here in a bit and wanted to get it right. thanks ahead of time. -shake Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

I use 20-30% perlite/soil, in any given size pot....I also put a thin layer of vermiculite, close to the bottom of my flowering 10 inch pots.

I use a $5 moisture meter to tell me when the vermiculite is dry. (cause, it holds moisture longer)...:thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Pimp
    I use 20-30% perlite/soil, in any given size pot....I also put a thin layer of vermiculite, close to the bottom of my flowering 10 inch pots.

I use a $5 moisture meter to tell me when the vermiculite is dry. (cause, it holds moisture longer)...:thumbsup:
    good lookin dutch. i have to do some dishes and clean up a little bit and then i'm gonna transplant.

-shake

i've used a mixture of 3 cups perlite to 10 cups soil in the past and it seemed to work very nicely

thanks sensi. that's about the ratio i used and it seems to be working wonderfully.

-shake

My base-

3 parts medium
    1 part perlite
    1 part earthworm castings

dtrave, i might try to work in some worm casting next go round. i hear a bunch of people say that they like them.

-shake

Quote Originally Posted by headshake
    dtrave, i might try to work in some worm casting next go round. i hear a bunch of people say that they like them.

-shake
    Get em here-vermiculture.com

Free shipping!!!:jointsmile:

Quote Originally Posted by DTRave420
    My base-

3 parts medium
    1 part perlite
    1 part earthworm castings
    Excuse this little bump but I forgot to mention 1 TBS of dolomite lime per gallon to this base...:jointsmile:

Some people recommend to use less perlite/vermiculite and more soil to the ratio when you do their final pot up to flower. This is often and ideally done a week or so before switching to 12/12. I believe the reason for this is so that more nutrients are available to the roots. Perlite is great for keeping things airy in there but doesn't do a lot in terms of holding nutes.

Everyone has their own way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast