Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1686 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Spider mites getting aggressive at 5th week flowering

Hi there,

What to do if you find a lot of spider mites and their eggs around 5th week of flowering? I have the impression that it is now way too late to stop them from spreading everywhere, but fortunately most of the upper buds are still intact. Should It be harvested right away? I know it's not entirely ready but there are quite a few trichomes already. Nothing amber tho, mostly clear/white. (see pic)

I'm just thinking perhaps it would be better to harvest what is possible to save right now, rather than wait until the whole plant might be more potent, but infested by spider mites? What do you think should be done?
    2gr33n Reviewed by 2gr33n on . Spider mites getting aggressive at 5th week flowering Hi there, What to do if you find a lot of spider mites and their eggs around 5th week of flowering? I have the impression that it is now way too late to stop them from spreading everywhere, but fortunately most of the upper buds are still intact. Should It be harvested right away? I know it's not entirely ready but there are quite a few trichomes already. Nothing amber tho, mostly clear/white. (see pic) I'm just thinking perhaps it would be better to harvest what is possible to save right Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

have to tried neem oil? it is safe to use still and will keep those little fuckers down until u harvest.

Unfortunately where I am there is no way I can get my hands on that on time. Also by the looks of it, and from what I read online, I'm skeptical about the chances of getting rid of them buggers at this point. There are a lot of tiny curled leafs in the lower buds and they seem to each host tons of small bitches and their eggs... Even tho I would like to crush them all it's just not accessible without touching the trichomes... and even then I wonder if I could reach them all. They're just everywhere, ready to multiply..

So I'm really afraid that in a few days it'll be just covered with mites if I just leave it like that...

do u have webs forming on the buds? can u take a pic?

No webs yet, and even if I took a pic all I could show is the white spots on some leaves. Most of them seem to hide under the leaves which is hard to photograph. Most leaves at the bottom now seem to host perhaps 1-2 adult mites with a lot of white little tiny dots that looks like eggs. But you've got to look under the leaves to seem them. That's on my most intact/hopeful plant.

I have another plant which is more infected but then again all u would see is just many white spots on the top of the leaves. No webs or anything crawing on the top of leaves. So I guesss It is not THAT bad yet but I really see it coming... I'm slightly panicked, just want to take the best action before it's too late...

if i remember right spider mites life cycle is 3 days they lay eggs and die pretty much so if u can go in and clean leafs off by hand for three or four days u should really slow the problem down that is if u dont have access to neem and are trying to stay natural organic ect... i always have pest problems, probably because i work at a hydro store and am surrounded by people carrying there problems (pests) and after work i can never change ect before entering the green room and neem oil controls everything i have problems with.

IF you work at a hydro store you should be aware that recommending neem oil on a plant that is within 3 weeks of harvest is questionable advice. The residue has an outrageously rancid flavor and odor, and will RUIN your product if used too late. There are other, better options. For sprays, I use SMC on my flowering plants up to about 1-2 weeks before harvest and STILL try to avoid getting it on the buds, even though coriander oil is nontoxic (and smells lovely). For use in that sensitive time right before chop chop, you can fight mites by dropping temps, adding wind, and removing webs with a small vacuum. But within 3 weeks of flower, options for dealing with them are VERY limited, which is why it is important to knock back all pest populations before then. A good method for this is a set of pyrethrin bombs set off 2-3 days apart- bomb twice at least, but three times is much better. Pyerthrin breaks down quickly in intense light, and kills pests instantly.

If at all possible give er a shower!! LOL

I have one of those adjustable presure shower heads that works wonderfully...As long as you can thouroughly dry er afterwards you can knock them off with water.

Ok here's a pic of a bud from another plant that's been more damaged by the mites. You can see the white spots on the leaves caused by the spidermites...

It doesn't have much THC on leaves as you can see but the seed pods are well swollen with it. So what to do with a bud like this one? Harvest now or wait longer?? By looking under some of the tiny, curled bud leaves, and seeing many eggs sleeping there, I'm afraid if I just sit and wait I'm just giving them the chance to live, spread and do more damage. As some said I think It's now too late into flowering and a shower wouldn't reach these tiny curled leaves and would probably endangered my plant with fungi/mold, no? I've had that in the past... Awful! Lots of nice bud wasted. Quite frankly, I don't think it's realistic to think I can get rid of them (mites) at this point. Look at the pic and judge for yourself.

As nobody seems to think I should harvest now, let's just suppose I do, would I get any good smoke or at least a little high from a 5 week flowering plant? Is it still gonna be worth it or am I better to wait to let THC mature while taking the risk of smoking hundreds of spidersmites? Or will they kill my plant If I let it mature like that? Which is best?? Wait or harvest??? Help!

If you have smoked for a long time you have already smoked thousands of spider mites...That being said I hate the little bastards but when I do catch a case of them I let my plant go all the way to harvest.. A 5 week plant will produce a weak ass buzz, I would rather let it do its thing and when you harvest cut the whole plant and hang it upside down. The spider mites do not like being upside down for some reason and they all gather at the top end of stick...

I have done this a few times and it tends to work...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast