Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1698 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

The Standard of Morality

I think it all Depends on what you see and hear and learn as a child growing up.
    Until a couple of years ago I wasn't thinking about how evil the government is
    or how the news is feeding us bullshit.
    All my life up until then I was told to do what elders said and shit like that.
    Like how you shouldn't defy the bible and things like that.
    But now that I'm older I have more of a grasp on what's going on around me and around the world.
    So I make my own choices and Myself choose between what's wrong or right, Good or bad.
    And that's how i think everyone should decide right from wrong is on their own.
    Of course while you're young let your parents point out the little things lol.
    But then again sometimes that isn't right either which is why things like racism an such still exist.
    Sorry if my answer's a little dodgy i'm just not good at explaning things as clear as you smart bastards.

The Standard of Morality

ultimately, each persons views of right and wrong are based purely on self-interest. even our most altruistic acts are merely examples of enlightened self-interest and contain some element of personal gain, whether real or imagined. for the religious, there is the desire to please their deity or to repay the debt of gratitude for creation. for the secular there is the realization that they live within a society and what aids the growth and health of that society will, in some way, aid themselves.

of course; there are those who see themselves as solitary, unencumbered by the needs of those around them. these are seen as the sociopaths that blight society, when they are merely outsiders who are unable to gain any of the benefits of the society whose standards they refuse.

3.   Advertisements

The Standard of Morality

why can't mans own life be the standard of morality..(have i said that already..?)? after all, you are what matters most, right?

The Standard of Morality

Because there ARE other people, and if one's own perception is any indicator of what their perceptions are, then they matter just as much.

The Standard of Morality

Quote Originally Posted by TurnyBright
    Because there ARE other people, and if one's own perception is any indicator of what their perceptions are, then they matter just as much.
    That's True. After all, the sensation of being a distinct individual experiencing a physical world separate from yourself is just an illusion. Right?

The Standard of Morality

Quote Originally Posted by TurnyBright
    yes, i agree. and if they agree to interact or care for one another it is only because they want to out of their own selfish desire. see? rational self interest, or mans life as the standard, doesn't mean no one else matters. :jointsmile:

The Standard of Morality

What about the man who drowns in an attempt to rescue a stranger? Or the soldier who jumps on a grenade to save strangers in a foreign country? What self-interest are they acting on?

A desire to commit that unselfish act (self-sacrifice for a total stranger) wouldn't come out of selfish desire. Some people believe that their own life, consciousness, and self are inherently less important than those of other people, simply because one's self is experienced only by... one's self, who can choose to use it as they see fit, to extend their responsibility out to other people.

The Standard of Morality

now we're getting to the point.

i would have to pity those two men. there was no moral obligation to the drowning man or the foreigners.

the problem is philosophical. from seed up we have been brainwashed to think the only moral way to live is to be our brother's keeper. but, you have to ask: why should a stranger's life, or the collective, take precedence over the Individual's?

now, if one chooses to sacrifice their life to a stranger it's entirely their choice. but, i would not consider it noble. i would call it stupid. they are simply the victim of a poor, deadly philosophy.

The Standard of Morality

I i were to standardize morality, i would put Free Will at the center.

WE ALL have free will, therefore we are all on a common ground.
    How do i know if what i am doing is right or wrong?

I DONT! NO ONE does. "Right" and "wrong" in the world of morality, are nothing more than opinions.
    Right and wrong are largely nothing more than opinions, however in a few physical circumstances, there can be a right way to do something and a wrong way, but this is in no way a matter of morality and a completely seperate topic.

Free will should be the center of morality because we all possess it.
    If we are respecting the free will of others, we are morally right.
    if we disregard other people's wills to act, to feel, to think, then we are morally wrong.

Weather any of this is true or not is impossible to discern, for morality and right and wrong are all arbitrarily man made concepts.
    Man made concepts are usually arbitrary. and the more arbitrary, the fewer absolutes.

The Standard of Morality

Quote Originally Posted by colour
    but, you have to ask: why should a stranger's life, or the collective, take precedence over the Individual's?
    Maybe some people may think that being isn't born and it doesn't die. It can't be killed. Those who have disciplined minds understand to preform action because it is their duty. The undisciplined person preforms action for the sake of the fruits of their action. A person with discipline is indifferent to success and defeat because it is not the outcome of an action that matters, but action itself. Some people may feel it is their duty to sacrifice themselves. What is the worst that could happen in the end if you know that consciousness or being will never die?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast