Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1554 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Is there really any hope for humanity?

If you read the Unabomber's Manifesto, he talks a LOT about how we've come to take on all these meaningless tasks and goals, "surrogate activities", to satisfy/pacify our need for attaining power, the "power process", and the amount of effort needed to achieve our goals.

"When people do not have to exert themselves to satisfy their physical needs they often set up artificial goals for themselves. In many cases they then pursue these goals with the same energy and emotional involvement that they otherwise would have put into the search for physical necessities."

"In modern industrial society only minimal effort is necessary to satisfy one's physical needs. It is enough to go through a training program to acquire some petty technical skill, then come to work on time and exert very modest effort needed to hold a job. The only requirements are a moderate amount of intelligence, and most of all, simple OBEDIENCE. If one has those, society takes care of one from cradle to grave."

I've only gotten halfway through his rants and ramblings, but a lot of it is very sound.

2.   Advertisements

Very interesting Green.

Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Euphoric7
    Religion is an early ploy to govern people's actions by using fear (definition of terrorism?). But in our new age, it's much more profitable to split ideologies in order to create wars. Why? For money, of course!
    Although religion has been (ab)used by the people in power as a means to achieve mass support for wars, you mentioned just before this your worry about people forgetting how to explore their mind. Maybe the decline of religion is itself a cause of this. You mention meditation as a way to access closed "doors", meditation has been used in nearly all forms of religion. Also it is true that many religions have used entheogens (drugs used to achieve a spiritual experience) e.g. mescaline, ayuahasca (DMT).

Quote Originally Posted by Euphoric7
    Do people even naturally belong on earth? Our intelligence and thirst for more can only destroy everything else.
    I would say yes because we naturally evolved on this planet, maybe the synthetic things we invented on this planet do not belong. However inventions could be viewed in a similar way to biological evolution. For example coal power stations were inefficient and damaging which lead to initiatives to replace them with solar power, wind turbines, hydro electric dams etc. If you mean "do we belong in terms of morality?" this could be paradoxical as humans invented the construct of morality so these rules could not be applied to us if we were never there to create them.

Quote Originally Posted by riffermadness25
    nope. people are way to easily influenced and brainwashed. we are getting our rights and freedoms taken away but the average american would rather sit on their fat asses and watch some bullshit reality show then do something about it, or even care!
    yes there is hope !! just as soon as we get the rest of those pot smoking criminals locked up in jail. the mmj program is working perfect! getting them off the streets and locked up in a Jail!! call it the perfect plan! we get them all to give us their info ,,thinking they will be provided safe haven by prop215 stupid idiots !! then send the feds to their address and arrest them muhahahahahahahahahaha !!! know we can run the country how we see fit !! suckers!! USA first !! then the world!! we will own you!!
    Total World Domination the us gov. is quite ambitious

Hope for what? A better tomorow? Life will go on, people will keep living, things will change. Some things will get better, others worse. There will always be conflicts in existance, its just how things work.

Things may appear to be getting bad, but just think of what our pathetic lives would be like in the 13th century, we'd all be laboring in a field for some crazy inbred bastard who claims to be chosen by god to take advantage of everybody.

Why worry about the future, the only thing that matters, the only thing that is real is the present. The past and future are just figments of your imagination. I believe things have to get worse before they get better, and once things are better the only way it can go from there is worse. As the cycle continues I am grateful I am living in the time I am now.

Quote Originally Posted by 40oz
    Things may appear to be getting bad, but just think of what our pathetic lives would be like in the 13th century, we'd all be laboring in a field for some crazy inbred bastard who claims to be chosen by god to take advantage of everybody.

good point lol

but still are freedoms that are forefathers fought and died for are being taken away but noone seems to give a shit

My thoughts are maybe a little twisted but I kind of see it like this.
    If there were an arsehole scale from 1 to 10 ,, I think I would probably place myself around 4.
    Since I know (and have met) many who would probably score higher, and most politicians and lawyers score around 9, I would have to say we are royally screwed. :thumbsup:

I truly believe that we are all of one origin and that consciousness is completely connected to eternity. Everything we value in this world is but part of a grand illusion (yes...just like the STYX song). So what is True? Can scientists explain what encompasses everything? I love scientists because they eloquently reveal God's handwriting. Just because the Son of Man judges his brother as guilty keeping us all in hell, that doesn't mean that God does. Freewill is a bitch sometimes and taking responsibility for this world we've created is the beginning of a new era and level of conscious. Wow, this is some good herb. MN

Quote Originally Posted by GreenDestiny
    If you read the Unabomber's Manifesto, he talks a LOT about how we've come to take on all these meaningless tasks and goals, "surrogate activities", to satisfy/pacify our need for attaining power, the "power process", and the amount of effort needed to achieve our goals.
    Man... i just finished reading it and its one of the best (if not the best) social critics i ever read. Its completly logical and reasonable, and a MUST read for anyone who is intelligent enough to understand it and thinks the actual society is really a big mess (to say the least).

Quote Originally Posted by Coelho
    Man... i just finished reading it and its one of the best (if not the best) social critics i ever read. Its completly logical and reasonable, and a MUST read for anyone who is intelligent enough to understand it and thinks the actual society is really a big mess (to say the least).
    man I need to read this book, I was driving to work today and its about 20 minutes so I have plenty of time to contemplate things and basically everything i was thinking about equals out to "surrogate activities". Seems like this will help describe some of the things i've had on my mind.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast