Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1564 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Cannabis-based salve experiments

I would be very excited to see if these salves or ointments that you make in any way help someone who has a severe reaction to poison ivy, if you need a test subject, let me know!!

2.   Advertisements

Thanks, a420! That's definitely a load off my mind. The only problem is that the herbs were never dried- I made the oil with fresh bud and trim, and processed it with water and oil together. So I'm still looking at it skeptically!
    From what I understand, sundried tomatoes are inherently easier to preserve than fresh herbs in oil because of the high acidity- I was scouring the internet for pesto canning instructions and came up with a big zero, lol! However this brings up another thing to think about. The skin has its own pH that needs to be maintained for skin health, so I will check and adjust this in my salve. According to a German skin care company's website (sebamed) that is 5.5.

Now this is somthing I can DEFFENITELY help you guys with. One of My familys companies actually bulk manufactures skincare lotions, pain relief creams containing capsicum, lotions, sun screams. I used to make batches of skincreams on a dail basis. All thats needed is basically a big soup kettle (like the kinds used at cafeterias worldwide). Remember you will always need somthing to mix oil and water efficiently so that you dont get a seperated product. I would also suggest having an Homogenizer so no lumps or seperation can be seen (this must also be done while the product is still hot). Salicylic Acid is used in a lot of acne products, its actually Topical aspirin. Dont forget your carbomer (mixes oil and water) Glycerine. We specialize is making products from Emu Oil (not exactly vegan for you PETA folks). But have many differant formulations availible. IF any of you would like a recipe and instructions to make a hand lotion in which you can add your own THC "Tincture" that can be absorbed by the skin just let me know and I can help you out with this. I no longer work there but did for 8 years and learned everything there is to know about the Skincare product trade (although most of our products are only to be distributed by doctors).

Quote Originally Posted by stinkyattic
    Thanks, a420! That's definitely a load off my mind. The only problem is that the herbs were never dried- I made the oil with fresh bud and trim, and processed it with water and oil together. So I'm still looking at it skeptically!
    From what I understand, sundried tomatoes are inherently easier to preserve than fresh herbs in oil because of the high acidity- I was scouring the internet for pesto canning instructions and came up with a big zero, lol! However this brings up another thing to think about. The skin has its own pH that needs to be maintained for skin health, so I will check and adjust this in my salve. According to a German skin care company's website (sebamed) that is 5.5.
    Well with any food grade oil it will have a slightly off odor if it is spent so you could do a smell comparison with some of the same oil used from a fresh bottle. GL
    \"God blessed America\", It\'s the Republicans that screwed it up! Obama/Biden

This is an excellent post. I'm really interested too with my arthritis. Stinky how are you going to prepare the cannabis to use in the cream. Honey oil?

The same as for edibles actually- an extraction into olive oil. It's detailed in my washed cannabutter tutorial, except the olive oil doesn't 'set' as firm in the fridge.

I don't think that getting the dmso is as hard as people think.

It seems available at this source all ready in cosmetic base- add oil and go.

Why re-invent the wheel? Go straight to effective dosage testing.

Quote Originally Posted by rhizome
    I don't think that getting the dmso is as hard as people think.

It seems available at this source all ready in cosmetic base- add oil and go.

Why re-invent the wheel? Go straight to effective dosage testing.
    Thanks for the link rhizome... I'll be sure to check that out. You've probably just saved me a ton of hassle. Although I admit making your own formula is half the fun :thumbsup:

Okay, I sourced the rest of my ingredients for the wax-based balm:
    Madagascar
    Egyptian Geranium oil, Health food store, $36/fl oz.
    East African Myrrh oil, HFS, $42/ fl. oz.
    White pure beeswax, crap supply store, candlemaking section, $8/lb
    2 oz lidded tins for packaging, $20/30 tins, crap store, wedding crap section.

According to the leaflets at the health food store, Myrrh is recommended for dry, dull or aged skin, and Geranium is 'skin balancing'. Combined, their aromas are fairly exotic without being perfumey- definitely enough to mask any hint of cannabis terpenes, lol.

Product #1: Medicated salve and non-medicated placebo salve.
    Texture is that of a tinned lip balm- it's quite stiff.

Ingredients, by weight:
    28g beeswax
    56g olive oil (use plain oil for placebo and canna-oil at 1g bud/14g oil)
    5g lanolin

Weigh out all of the above and place in a suitable melting vessel. Mine is a ~12floz. capacity Turkish coffee pot with a very long handle. It came from a flea market but I've seen them at imported handcrafts shops for a reasonable price.
    Place in a saucepot with 2-3" of water in it, on very low heat. The ingredients will melt at ~170'F so you don't need to boil the water. Agitate constantly.

When the beeswax has melted fully, take the mixture off the ehat and pour it out into a tempered-glass or ceramic dish. Put this in the refrigerator for about a half hour to set and then test the 'feel' of the surface. If it is too stiff for your liking, you'll add about 5-10g additional oil at the next step.
    Scrape back out into melting vesselt and re-melt. If you liked the feel of the balm, add no more oil.
    Once you have added any additional oil that you felt it needed, turn off the heat but keep the melting pot in the water bath.

Add:
    10 drops geranium oil
    5 drops myrrh oil
    ~1000 IU equivalent Vitamin E oil from piercing the gelcaps it is commonly sold in

Swirl very well to mix and then pour into tins.

Pics!!!

1- Separating out all the water from the olive oil extraction using the proper glassware lol (sold as 'waterfall' at head shops).
    2- Weighing out the wax and oil
    3- Weighing out the lanolin- do this onto waxed paper- it's gooey
    4- Melt over low heat
    5- Pour into tempered-glass dish to test consistency

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast