Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1513 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Bail set for Nevada state trooper charged with smoking pot before fatal crash

LAS VEGAS (AP) - Bail was set at $50,000 for a Nevada Highway Patrol sergeant accused of smoking marijuana before crashing his vehicle while off-duty, killing one person and injuring two.

A Las Vegas judge also ordered 46-year-old Edward Lattin to submit to random drug testing and give up driving until the case is resolved.

Lattin appeared Thursday by videoconference in shackles from the Clark County jail, where he surrendered to authorities on Tuesday.

He faces two to 20 years in prison if convicted of felony driving under the influence resulting in death in the June 11 crash.

His lawyer, John Watkins, declared the 20-year NHP veteran "innocent at this point in time."

Watkins says Lattin has diabetes and might've crashed after having a medical episode.
    KTNV ABC,Channel 13,Las Vegas,Nevada,News,Weather,Sports,Entertainment,KTN V.com,Action News .:. Bail set for Nevada state trooper charged with smoking pot before fatal crash

IF you have diabetes and are on the pill you can't be toking!! This case should prove interesting.

Have a good one!:jointsmile:
    Psycho4Bud Reviewed by Psycho4Bud on . Bail set for Nevada state trooper charged with smoking pot before fatal crash LAS VEGAS (AP) - Bail was set at $50,000 for a Nevada Highway Patrol sergeant accused of smoking marijuana before crashing his vehicle while off-duty, killing one person and injuring two. A Las Vegas judge also ordered 46-year-old Edward Lattin to submit to random drug testing and give up driving until the case is resolved. Lattin appeared Thursday by videoconference in shackles from the Clark County jail, where he surrendered to authorities on Tuesday. He faces two to 20 years in Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

So much for the wall of silence, huh? Perhaps if it were an accident involving alcohol this particular officer might have gotten off with just minor charges. It's a disgusting thing to think about, but at least here in Canada, it's happened before.

Cop tells Taman inquiry he was too busy to notice colleagues' drinking

Essentially, a city cop is out all night yucking it up and drinking with his good ol' boy cop buddies, drives home drunk and kills some poor woman, who leaves behind several young children and a grieving husband. Nobody mentions in the police report that he was drunk when the accident happened. The truth came out in the trial, but nothings going to come of it I assure you.

Welcome to the police state.

anyone here think the officer deserves the death sentance?:wtf:

no nobody should be subject to the death penalty, especially when the offense was accidental, even if he is a cop.

I'm sorry I had to say something.

There are no accidents. It was a crash or wreck. Circumstances that were followed by something horrable.

The taking of a life is never a good thing but sometimes a must.

If I were responsible for the taking of a life no matter what, Honor dictates that I must die. If by my own hand, than so be it. I could not live with myself or be able to look the survivers of the victums in the face. there is no apologising for such an act.

We have become so civilized that we cannot see the truth and try to justify our actions as ACCIDENTAL.

dude back in the day people used to kill people a lot more

the death penalty is neither humane or something that should be supported in ANY case, in my humble opinion. I hope to live to see the day when capital punishment is struck down everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by LOC NAR on probation
    I'm sorry I had to say something.

There are no accidents. It was a crash or wreck. Circumstances that were followed by something horrable.

The taking of a life is never a good thing but sometimes a must.

If I were responsible for the taking of a life no matter what, Honor dictates that I must die. If by my own hand, than so be it. I could not live with myself or be able to look the survivers of the victums in the face. there is no apologising for such an act.

We have become so civilized that we cannot see the truth and try to justify our actions as ACCIDENTAL.
    So if you were driving along and had all of the sudden passed out or lost control of your functions which resulted in a crash that caused someone else to die, then you think you should die as well? Even though no controllable action of your own was the cause of such a horrific event?

Taking someones life is tragic, I agree with you there. The death sentence is an unreasonable solution in the way you see it though. What if you were the guy that threw the switch, would you then deserve to die?

Getting drunk and killing someone is something that definitely deserves punishment, but is a death sentence really going to help anyone? What if he has a family that will now be left behind? Just because he caused someone else misfortune doesn't mean his family should suffer for it.

Sorry yes I should die if I caused some one elses death. Bottom line. I have a family too but what about the family I destroyed ?

It's ok just cause shit happenned ? You can't understand untill it happens to you or your family. The loss is not acceptable.

Putting people in jail for life and having tax payers fork up the money for a life time. Now that's humane.
    The jails are full.

I could go on all day but the only good reason for taking a life is self defense or is it ?

Back in the day people used to kill people more. Please wake up and see the people dying all around you now. All over the world. For little or no reason.

The US just devauled a life, Which means they justify the EPA dropping back on regulations just about clean air. This means 2500 people wil die this year so industry can make a cheap buck. can you live with that ?

we could argue all day and the world will still be dying. What's the point ?