Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1316 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Increasing Temps...

Hey everybody :jointsmile: Can anybody give me some information on why the temperature in the box goes UP when I turn on my internal oscillating fan?

By the way... after looking for a small 6-8" oscillating fan to put in a cabinet, I found a 12" vertical oscillating fan. Without the round fan shape, it sticks into the corner of a box perfectly and turns on a dime so it barely takes up any space. 2 speeds and oscillating on/off. $19.95.

Anyway, to my other question... anyone know how much of a difference it makes having the exhaust on top (as opposed to really high up on a sidewall?) Any input is pondered and appreciated. :thumbsup:

Extra info:
    Space is roughly 2.5-3 sq. ft.
    ~4" passive intake
    ~4" active exhaust/ high velo. fan
    12" internal oscillating fan
    3 x 26w 6500k cfl
    1 x 26w 2700k cfl
    - Combined 6500 lumens
    Wall are flat white.
    Cabinet is not completely air tight at this point (which I think may cause temp. problem?)
    Nurturing two precious babies.
    TheMetal1 Reviewed by TheMetal1 on . Increasing Temps... Hey everybody :jointsmile: Can anybody give me some information on why the temperature in the box goes UP when I turn on my internal oscillating fan? By the way... after looking for a small 6-8" oscillating fan to put in a cabinet, I found a 12" vertical oscillating fan. Without the round fan shape, it sticks into the corner of a box perfectly and turns on a dime so it barely takes up any space. 2 speeds and oscillating on/off. $19.95. Anyway, to my other question... anyone know how much Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

Increasing Temps...

The fan's motor throws heat. Go for an active exhaust, mounted in the opposite corner from a passive intake, and you will see the temps drop. You may not even need an internal fan in a small space if the exhaust is set up well.

Increasing Temps...

Since it is a new setup, I have been hand testing all internal electrical devices for heat discharge. Everything seems pretty cool. My problem probably lies in here...
    - 2 of the walls in the cabinet I had to make out of a dense type of cardboard. Not box type cardboard, but thinner, smoother, basically a few steps below really thin wood. So.....

Venting locations
    Passive intake: When looking at the box, the left wall is where I cut 4" intake. Located as low as possible, near the front of the box. Which I have secured a layer of nylon over to keep dust and bugs out.
    Active exhaust: When looking at the box, the rear wall, dead center, as high as possible, is where I cut and installed the 4" high velo. exhaust fan.

Working with pools and aquariums in the past, I was trying to get a swirling air pattern, as opposed to a direct A-B path, to encourage random turbulance as a way to stimulate stem strengthening. I also lack woodworking tools, so it was much easier for me to cut the intake/exhaust into the hard cardboard.

So... have I sacrificed a good intake/exhaust system for a convenient to cut one? It makes sense that the optimal place for an exhaust would be the roof. However, this solution would result in a total overhaul. Maybe putting another exhaust fan directly below the primary? I have plenty of room for it.

As usual... I 100% appreciate all the input. You all feel like extended family. :jointsmile::thumbsup:

Edit: In roughly 30 minutes, temps have gone from 90F with 50%RH... to 84F with 37%RH. Could chalk it up to natural fluctuation... or I found the appropriate space for the oscillating fan.