Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1592 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

If you use RO or distilled water you NEED CalMag Plus

That's all.

My fingers were cramping from typing it n times a day.
    stinkyattic Reviewed by stinkyattic on . If you use RO or distilled water you NEED CalMag Plus That's all. My fingers were cramping from typing it n times a day. Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

great simple sticky here!

Correct me if I'm wrong.... As I understand, when using RO or distilled water, we need to use an additive like CalMag Plus because most hydroponic nutrients are not formulated/balanced for use with the plain water. The nutrients are made to be used with average hard water which already contains calcium and magnesium. RO/distilled water lacks the calcium and magnesium which are essential for growing.

However, using hard water from the tap isn't always the best because the ratio of calcium to magnesium can vary, possibly to the degree of causing nutrient lockout.

Some people use a mix of plain and tap water. I don't know enough about that to make any comments.

I'd think it would be more beneficial to use RO/distilled water and adding the appropriate amount of CalMag to correct and prevent deficiency, which will give the plants all they need in a soluble form they can uptake with less effort.... Also there's no harmful mystery chemicals as would come from using tap water!
    \"There\'s no right, there\'s no wrong, there\'s only popular opinion.\" - 12 Monkeys.
    The hemp plant is our perfect symbiote! Down with capitalism, materialism, fascism, war, and superficialness! Long live the biosphere! *Proud offspring of a draft dodger*

my new little babies

Right on brutha. That is exactly the point.

One clarification is that the nutes for hard water are actually labelled for hard water use. It will say right on the bottle. The 'default' nutrient is made to be used with 'average' tap water. I, for one, have the good luck to be able to use my city water out of the tap, even in hydro, but the bad luck to have to add calmag to my well water, which is quite 'soft', even in soil! haha ... what a PITA!
    But a techincally oriented grower will tell you that he likes to start with NOTHING and add only KNOWN fertilizer components to his water.

Even in dirt, you still need calmag if you use RO, distilled, or rain water. And you MUST adjust the pH of rain water, after adding the calmag, and before use on your plants.

RO?

reverse osmosis, water purifying process

Quote Originally Posted by stinkyattic
    I, for one, have the good luck to be able to use my city water out of the tap, even in hydro, but the bad luck to have to add calmag to my well water, which is quite 'soft', even in soil! haha ... what a PITA!
    Moan, moan, moan.

I lay awake all night wishing I could have soft well water. OK, not exactly, but believe you me, hard well water is a real bitch compared to soft. How did you get so lucky? Must be my location or upbringing, but I didn't even know soft well water existed.

I guess everything has it's good points. I don't need to add Calmag. I usually do though, in small amounts. Great product, though there are others.

Quote Originally Posted by texas grass
    reverse osmosis, water purifying process
    Basically it takes out most impurities and leaves you with water. Both undesirables and otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Opie Yutts
    How did you get so lucky? Must be my location or upbringing, but I didn't even know soft well water existed.
    Spring water running through a granite substrate, not limestone, and runoff from a hemlock forest. I have organic acids problems with my well water
    Blah. You want some? Miracle healing water! Great for all types of problems! Warts! Malaise! Possession by evil spirits! Only five bucks a glass. Step right up...

Sounds like a colloidal mineral drink I fell for, for about 6 months. Supposedly I'll live to 140 for drinking it.

Quote Originally Posted by Opie Yutts
    Sounds like a colloidal mineral drink I fell for, for about 6 months. Supposedly I'll live to 140 for drinking it.
    lol...I almost bought some of that stuff too

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast