Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1517 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Growing ethics

As I was walking around yesterday looking for stealthy new places for my biggest grow yet, I started wondering why it seems OK with most people to grow on someone else's property without their knowledge. Try to mention a person growing in their parent's home without their knowledge and you'll get crucified, yet it seems to be perfectly fine to guerrilla grow. Why? I realize there are obvious differences, but isn't it essentially the same concept?
    Opie Yutts Reviewed by Opie Yutts on . Growing ethics As I was walking around yesterday looking for stealthy new places for my biggest grow yet, I started wondering why it seems OK with most people to grow on someone else's property without their knowledge. Try to mention a person growing in their parent's home without their knowledge and you'll get crucified, yet it seems to be perfectly fine to guerrilla grow. Why? I realize there are obvious differences, but isn't it essentially the same concept? Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

Growing ethics

Quote Originally Posted by Opie Yutts
    As I was walking around yesterday looking for stealthy new places for my biggest grow yet, I started wondering why it seems OK with most people to grow on someone else's property without their knowledge. Try to mention a person growing in their parent's home without their knowledge and you'll get crucified, yet it seems to be perfectly fine to guerrilla grow. Why? I realize there are obvious differences, but isn't it essentially the same concept?
    I would have to agree with you on that.

Growing ethics

I tried to make a thread yesterday, and either I was too stoned to press the submit button, or it got deleted. I can't imagine why the latter would be the case so I'll try again. By the way, where did the rules go? I'm pretty sure I didn't violate any rules, but I tried to check anyway and couldn't find them. Seems like that should be a big link in bold somewhere.

Anyway, I was hoping to get some thoughts from people on the ethics of guerrilla growing, which is growing on someone else's property without consent from the owner. I'm about to embark on my biggest outdoor grow yet, which may require some alternative grow locations. I was wondering how ethical this is, and to what extent the land owner would be put in danger.

Guerrilla growing is commonly talked about in books and forums and isn't frowned upon as is something like growing in your parent's home without their consent. It seems like we either have a double standard or... we have a double standard. Why will I have my balls handed to me on a platter if I mention growing in my parents home, but everyone is just fine with me growing outdoors on someone else's property? I just don't get it. It seems like basically the same thing too me, and if that gets my thread deleted then so be it. Seems ridiculous, but so be it.

I have legitimate questions and concerns, and it would be very helpful if this forum were allowed to serve it's purpose and help me out a little.

Growing ethics

well i've never done any serious growing myself... so you can throw this right out the window if you like.

but IMO, if you can't grow without putting anyone else in the line of fire, then don't grow.

get a place, then grow in peace. id be mad if i was you and thats all anyone told me when i asked.. but i think its true/smart.

Growing ethics

Anyway, I was hoping to get some thoughts from people on the ethics of guerrilla growing, which is growing on someone else's property without consent from the owner. I'm about to embark on my biggest outdoor grow yet, which may require some alternative grow locations. I was wondering how ethical this is, and to what extent the land owner would be put in danger.
    I have some opinions/thoughts on this Opie.

but...I will wait until I see if this thread passes muster first... tomorrow afternoon. I saw the first thread. I doubt it will fly.
    Maybe, the outdoor growing forum would have been a better choice...more, "under the radar"?

Growing ethics

Well, it made it this far...

I think guerrilla growing should be limited to public land or absentee land owners.

Growing ethics

I just found these and moved them to 'outdoor'. I'm interested in discussing this concept. In 'A Grower's Code of Ethics' posted as a sticky in the main grow information lounge, I got into that a bit.

I think it's best to grow on public lands, or lands owned by a large enough corporate entity that no small landowner will be implicated in illegal activities should your grow be discovered. I'd feel wrong about a) trespassing to grow and b) putting the homeowner at risk to be caught up in a potentially expensive and embarrassing legal situation not of his own doing.

Growing ethics

i think stinky said what i was thinking

dont risk personal property, if anything risk comercial/government property

Growing ethics

im just about to plant my first seeds for growth and it took a long time to find a good place because for one, i dont want to get in trouble and id hate to get someone completely innocent in trouble so ive selected a nice forest that doesnt belong to anyone in the area and as far as i know its owned by the local council, but has NEVER been touched.

Growing ethics

Someone's home just has more value in the heart of society then their empty, grown over, unused land. A home is... a home. That is why many states have "castle" laws... if someone breaks into your house at night you can shoot their ass... because it is your *home*. You can't shoot someone for trespassing on your land. Land is less valuable and personal. When you violate someone's home you violate something much more sacred then their land.

Another reason growing in your parents home is frowned on is because if you are living with your parents then you are a minor. There is a general belief (and a good one at that) that kids should respect their parents. Growing pot in their house just crosses a line in many peoples heads. The realistic chances of legal action against your parents for your actions are slim, but are still greater then if you just grew on someone's empty land. The cops might do an extensive investigation and waste a bunch of your parents time to hassle them (or to find out if they knew about the grow). They could bring in protective services or something just to hassle the parents for being so ignorant about what you were doing in their own home, etc. Cops can be real dicks sometimes. To grow in your parents home is like saying to your parents, "I don't care if you you might get into a bunch of problems and potentially get your house taken from you because of this... growing weed is more important in my life then you are." It is a huge disrespect.

On the other hand, growing on someone's empty, unused land is one of those things that isn't really hurting anyone. Technically it is illegal, but so is smoking pot in the first place. If the cops find your grow they aren't going to arrest the people who own the land. They might ask them about it, but there would be no grounds to arrest them or even hassle them really. Worst case they would ask the people for the right to do random searches of the empty property now and again. That actually happened to my wife's parents... it was no big deal at all. They have like 90 acres in the forest and hardly ever go out there anyway. The cops just called them on the phone.

The way I see it, the population, through congressional representatives, has given us these horribly hypocritical and backwards laws about marijuana. Therefore, the population can deal with me growing on their empty land. My only other option is to risk my house being taken from me by the government if I grew at home. That is just not an option. I try to grow on land owned by corporations or the government. But I have no problem growing on someone's personal property either, as long as it is undeveloped and not being used or very, very large.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast