Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1462 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

For the people that believe in God

Skeptic's Annotated Bible / Quran / Book of Mormon

read your bible, again.
    murktinez Reviewed by murktinez on . For the people that believe in God Skeptic's Annotated Bible / Quran / Book of Mormon read your bible, again. Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

I've given up long ago. I tried to convert one of my friends in IRL, but it's hopeless. There's no way you can do it on a forum.

It seems as if though religion teaches people to believe what they are told first and if common sense contradicts what they were told then they, themselves must be wrong. So since dogma is defined deeper than thought for religious people, it is impossible for us to make them throw out their beliefs by making them think.

Just think about it, kids are taken to church when they're only a couple years old, before they can reason for themselves. So they are taught religion before they are taught reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by THClord
    I've given up long ago. I tried to convert one of my friends in IRL, but it's hopeless. There's no way you can do it on a forum.....

How is trying to convert someone to atheism any better than someone trying to convert another to their belief system?

You should have just put this in the other thread.

And there is plenty of common sense within faith. Im not an avid church goer much anymore becasue of the hypocrisy and I definately know how to think for myself as do others
    Dont try to clump us all up in one

LMAO! I could pick apart any piece of literature ever written by Richard Dawkins, highlight every misinterpretation I could find, then publish an identical website spewing contradictions, fallacies, and biased lies. Just because you can take something out of context doesn't necessarily mean it's infallible, as would clearly be present by my suggestion to slander famous atheists.

Speaking of famous atheists, here's a nifty little story about one who found God through science:

The best-known atheist of the last 50 years, Professor Antony Flew, made the announcement in a symposium on science and religion, that the discoveries of modern science have led him to accept the existence of God. Flew was joined in the symposium by leading Israeli scientist Gerald Schroeder and noted Scottish thinker John Haldane.

DALLAS, TX (PRWEB) December 15, 2004 -- The Institute for Metascientific Research (IMR) announced today that one of the best-known atheists in the academic world, Professor Antony Flew of the University of Reading, United Kingdom, has accepted the existence of God. In a symposium sponsored by the IMR at New York University earlier this year, Professor Flew stated that developments in modern science had led him to accept the action of an Intelligent Mind in the creation of the world. In Has Science Discovered God?â?, the recording of the symposium released today, Flew said his conclusion was influenced by developments in DNA research.

Worlds Most Famous Atheist Accepts Existence of God, Cites Modern Science

Thanks for that refreshing dose of reality, murk... :thumbsup:

people have a need to cling to something at the end of their lives...

I AM NOT AN ATHEIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am a realist. I'm not saying there isn't a creator, at all. I just realize that the Bible, as we know it, is mostly bullshit. "Divinely inspired" men are only "divinely inspired" because THEY say they are. I know talking about this with the closed-minded is a lost cause. Fear and pride prevent this from ever becoming anything other than an argument. BUT.

God told me, to let you know that I am right. Walk with me and you will never be lost. Follow the laws of my God, and you will be rewarded with eternal bliss. Do you trust me? OF COURSE NOT!!! why? because I am a Human that you don't know. Why trust men that lived thousands of years ago?!?!? You don't even practice the same religion!

The only parts of the Bible that I believe are not bullshit are some historical accounts, and geography. I believe Jesus was real. I do not believe Jesus was the son of God because he said so. Same with Mohammad.

I dare you to learn where and how your religion came to be. I had a mentor that was a JW. While I did not believe everything, he did teach me alot about where Christianity came from. I took it further and researched on my own. This is where I stand now.

Quote Originally Posted by murktinez
    I know talking about this with the closed-minded is a lost cause. Fear and pride prevent this from ever becoming anything other than an argument.
    You're absolutely right, so we should both end this argument right here... not just me.

Quote Originally Posted by murktinez
    I dare you to learn where and how your religion came to be. I had a mentor that was a JW. While I did not believe everything, he did teach me alot about where Christianity came from. I took it further and researched on my own. This is where I stand now.
    You dare me? You honestly think I haven't dedicated much time and thought to my religion, and theology in general? I took nearly 50 hours worth of theology courses in college, and was an agnostic for most of my life. I've spent plenty of time thinking about it, studying it, and trying to understand it.

So, how did a Jehovah's Witness teach you so much about Christianity? They teach a perversion of my religion, and not the religion itself. The New World Translation directly mistranslates original scripture to correlate with their twisted Christian ideals. Frederick Franz, George Gangas, Milton Henschel, Karl Klein, Nathan Knorr, and Albert Schroeder - the original translation committee for the 'Watchtower Society' - barely even spoke biblical Greek, Hebrew, or Aramaic... and were definitely far from fluent in them. So, how then were they the ones chosen to revise the New Testament? Biblical scholars and translators have always been well-versed in these three languages, which were pretty much a prerequisite to be added to any translation committee. Yet, the people chosen for the JW committee knew practically nothing of these biblical languages. And if you compare a NWT bible and a KJV side-by-side, the glaring contradictions are perfectly clear.

So, you may have done your own research on the subjects, but so have I. And this is where I stand on Jehovah's Witnesses and their doctrines. I'm not going to attempt to shove my religion down your throat, because as a former agnostic, I know how irritating that can be. But, it would be extremely respectful of you NOT to shove your 'realism' down anyone else's throat, either. Unless they specifically ask for it. I've seen several attacks on Christianity coming from you in your short tenure here. If you'd like for me to point them out, I can. I'd prefer not to, and civilly reach an agreement with you: We can agree to disagree, it happens all the time around here, but we shouldn't attack each other... because then you'd be correct, our closed-mindedness would get in the way of us ever reaching any kind of understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by NaughtyDreadz
    people have a need to cling to something at the end of their lives...
    Oh yes like what music would you like to hear before you die
    Stinkyattic\'s troubleshooting form.
    There can be only one.[/B] :kisslove:]Click here
    :rasta:
    There can be only one. :kisslove:it\'s the Wife.:lovestruck:
    Profit is Vanity, Quality is Sanity

Quote Originally Posted by Greenthing
    Oh yes like what music would you like to hear before you die
    ya get me, blad? :jointsmile:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast