Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1576 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

How I make 'clean' cannabutter- a tutorial

I like to turn my 'popcorn buds' and shake into cannabutter for making caramels and chocolate truffles. A problem with confectionery is the high temperatures that one needs to bring the sugar to before it is at the correct stage for making candy. Typically, caramels will be brought to 245 degrees F, and if there is any plant material or even excess chlorophyll in the butter, it will have a scorched and very unpleasant flavor.

So this is a little tutorial on the process by which I make my washed cannabutter.

Step 1 is to grind up the herb. I just run it through a hand grinder but if you feel sassy, a $15 coffee grinder just for your pot is really trick. Next, I weigh it out and decide what I want my dosage to be. I like to dose butter at 2 grams per tablespoon. The butter should be of decent quality. It doesn't matter if it is salted, because we are going to 'wash' it later.

Next, take your butter and ground herb and put it in a wide-mouthed canning jar. Add enough water to fully wet the herb.

Put the jar with the butter, water, and cannabis in a large stockpot with enough hot water to reach up to the shoulders of the jar. Screw on the band but don't tighten it down- hot air and water vapor must be able to escape. Bring the water bath just to BARELY a simmer.

Periodically, remove the jar from the water bath, tighten the lid, and gently shake the contents to re-mix, as they tend to stratify. Loosen the band again before returning the jar to the water bath. Heat for about 2 hours, then pour into a second jar, through a potato ricer to strain, and squeeze out ALL the liquid.

Place this jar in the refrigerator until the two phases stratify and the butter sets into a solid mass. Poke a large hole through the butter and pour out all the water through a strainer to catch any butter pieces floating in the water. Re-fill with clean water and return to the hot water bath. HOT WATER ON COLD GLASS WILL CRACK THE GLASS! Bring the bath back to temperature gradually.

Now repeat the heating and shaking process. You will see that the water becomes cloudy. This is all contamination leaving the butter. Chlorophyll, plant matter, even excess fertilizer salts are washed away, leaving pure butter with the psychoactive compounds.

This is called a liquid-liquid extraction, and takes advantage of the different solubilities of polar (salts) vs nonpolar (hydrocarbons) compounds in polar (water) vs nonpolar (oil) solvents.

Repeat the chilling and separating process, re-fill with water, heat again. The third time, the water should remain quite clear, and when you pour it out, pour it through a permanent coffee filter (the metal kind) to remove any large particles still remaining. This time when you chill it, you will notice what a lovely pale green color it is, and also that it smells like sweet butter and hash, but not really like pot.

When you cook with washed butter, the cannabis flavors are very subdued, to the point where you may not even notice any at all. Nice stuff.

Here's a couple pics of different techniques and pieces of equipment- note that in some pics, the product I'm making is actually heavy cream, but the straining technique is the same.
    stinkyattic Reviewed by stinkyattic on . How I make 'clean' cannabutter- a tutorial I like to turn my 'popcorn buds' and shake into cannabutter for making caramels and chocolate truffles. A problem with confectionery is the high temperatures that one needs to bring the sugar to before it is at the correct stage for making candy. Typically, caramels will be brought to 245 degrees F, and if there is any plant material or even excess chlorophyll in the butter, it will have a scorched and very unpleasant flavor. So this is a little tutorial on the process by which I make my Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

The last set of pics are:
    1- Ground bud, shake, and the best butter ever, from Cabot in Vermont!
    2- A nice big pan of nice hot water
    3- The potato ricer. Brilliant invention- WAY better for making cannabutter than ricing potatoes, lol!
    4- Pouring heavy cream through a permanent coffee filter
    5- Pouring heavy cream and plant material into the ricer to be pressed

Pics of the chilled butter and water showing separation of the aqueous and lipid phases, as well as finished product, to come later!

I really like your method :thumbsup: ... I've gotten lazy, and been doing the crockpot way, but the cleanup and straining is still a pain ... I like your way better (except when ya had to throw in that 'solubility' and 'non-polar' talk, made me feel dumb again :wtf ... :S2:

PFlover is the QUEEN of cannabutter! Check her out!

No-Ick Ghee/cannabutter/cannola oil - TreatingYourself.COM Online Community

Would this be necessary if one were to make gummy hash and then mix that in with the cannabutter. Or would it still leave a strong/bad taste?

Just curious which method would be easier or more effective.

I've never made water gumby hash. If you are talking about isopropanol hash, I'd skip that step and go right into butter, not isopropanol. The point is the liquid-liquid extraction takes a lot of contaminants out of the lipid phase and into the aqueous phase to minimize unwanted flavors.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkyattic
    I've never made water gumby hash. If you are talking about isopropanol hash, I'd skip that step and go right into butter, not isopropanol. The point is the liquid-liquid extraction takes a lot of contaminants out of the lipid phase and into the aqueous phase to minimize unwanted flavors.
    nope, I meant gumby hash; AKA ghetto bubble hash.

I'll definitely be giving this a go (liquid - liquid extraction) with my trimmings and popcorn budlets.

I find I usually need a fix around middle of the day at work to lower anxiety and stress levels.

I would love to use this method to make some candy or something I can snack on discretely. Thanks for yet another excellent post

Cool, glad you like it. I really recommend doing caramels. They are pretty freaking easy, and come out delicious- use a touch more almond extract than a normal caramel recipe recommends, because you still get just a slight 'toasted' flavor to the finished product, and the almond is very complementary. I think I posted my recipe, adapted from PharmaPharmer, around here somewhere. It might even be in my Donkey Dick grow log.
    In fact, I am eating one right now!

When you say earlier to add enough water to wet the herb, do you literally mean JUST to wet it.. to make sure it's evenly wet?

OR

Do you mean to get it wet and have the water slightly pool/ super saturate the herb?

I'm pretty bad in the kitchen so excuse the dumb questions.

Saturate the herb. Then the sticks of butter will melt and further float it. Don't forget to gently agitate it periodically during heating.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast