Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1239 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

How I make 'clean' cannabutter- a tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by radtek

Probably won't cook with the butter as there are concerns about exposing my precious THC to 300+ temps. Ideas on this?
    I've done the same thing as you, only baked the butter with brownies. The brownies were quite potent. Maybe the high heat kills some of the THC, but I can assure you these still had enough.

Personally, I found the extreme "grassy" "weedy" taste to be sort of overwhelming. I'm wondering if there's a good recipe or method to reduce this greeny taste.

This is a great thread and needs way more action.

So if I were to make some of this goodness.... How is the odor while making it? what about when baking with it?

DISCLAIMER: everything I post and say are lies. I am simply roleplaying. All photos were found on the internet and/or fake!! I do not grow or use anything illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkyattic
    The last set of pics are:
    1- Ground bud, shake, and the best butter ever, from Cabot in Vermont!
    2- A nice big pan of nice hot water
    3- The potato ricer. Brilliant invention- WAY better for making cannabutter than ricing potatoes, lol!
    4- Pouring heavy cream through a permanent coffee filter
    5- Pouring heavy cream and plant material into the ricer to be pressed

Pics of the chilled butter and water showing separation of the aqueous and lipid phases, as well as finished product, to come later!
    Hello StinkyAttic,
    I have a question about washing the cannabutter. By washing it, will it lose it potency as well? Since you're washing away the chlorophyll and plant matter are you washing away the potency?

Thanks!
    -VF

Be Safe.

I can answer that for ya bro

NO... thc is absorded into the fat of the butter not the water ...the water is used as the filter

Hell yeah! Thanks alot VapedG13.

-VF

Be Safe!

This cannabutter recipe worked great for me. I like it because it uses canning jars while processing. In other recipes, you have it all out in a pot or pan, and not as easy to manage. However, I used two pint jars in a large double boiler. Instead of one huge jar in a stockpot. I got a potato ricer but ended up shooting out hot streams of my slurry as it escaped around the edge of the plunger when compressing, not fun! Save your money if you don't already have a potato ricer, just squeeze it well through some cheesecloth, much better control.

One great trick I thought of while doing this that worked great:

When you are putting the canning jar in the fridge to allow the butter to solidify, tighten the lid and set it upside down so that when the butter hardens, you can pour out the water, which will now be on top, without requiring you to poke a hole through the mass of butter. It also allows you to scrape/wipe away any patches of nastiness that get through the coffee filter, which should've settled at the water/butter interface, which is now on the top side of the butter, where you can simply reach into the jar and access it.

Thanks again!

7.   Advertisements

Hey just glad to see the forum back up. The cheese cloth is good for the initial squeeze but the potato ricer does get a lot more butter out. I used 8 lbs of butter in the most recent batch of cannautter I made. After using a cheese cloth and a potato ricer I was able to retrieve 6 lbs of cannabutter. I think the ricer is pretty important when your are making a lot of butter at one time.

I use 2 oz of quality trim that is 25% popcorn buds per lb of butter.

Keep posting these types of useful tips for the connoisseurs. the real connoisseurs will be really greateful. The charm of the cannabutter can really be enjoyed with the tips.

Quote Originally Posted by zchgla
    I'm wondering if there's a good recipe or method to reduce this greeny taste.
    The key is to wash your butter. It takes time, but well worth the time spent.

Go to the beginning of the thread and there's a tutorial on making the washed butter. I'd wash it 3 times...still every bit at potent and those I've given the edibles to cannot taste the budder. I speed up the washing process by pouring my washed budder into freezer containers and enslaving my chest freezer for about 3 hours. Still, it takes me about 2 days to make a batch of budder.

I even go so far as to slowly remelt the budder and make 1/4 cup pucks of budder with muffin tins and a double liner. Makes for easy storage and easier from the freezer taking only the amount you need.

Good luck.

When I make a batch with shake it smells far worse than with pure bud.

No one ever talks about the smell, so it's best if there's some open windows. Please take the time to wash the budder, you'll be thankful you did and I'd wash it the 3 times as suggested in the start of this thread.

I confess I'm new to making budder. My first batch I couldn't even eat the stuff I made with it. I should have gone online and didn't and threw it out. I was stupid and threw out a second batch because again I couldn't stand the taste of it. When it takes a stoner an hour to eat a piece of cake, there's a problem. By the third washing, it'll be so mild you may still have some taste, but it will be very mellow retaining every bit of potency.

I only bake with my budder. When I've washed it 3 times, I slowly melt it again and make 1/4 cup pucks with double-lined muffin tins.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast