Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1584 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

How I make 'clean' cannabutter- a tutorial

I finally broke down and bought a potato ricer. This is probably my new favorite tool in the house.

In the pictures the potato ricer just looked like a strainer of some sort. I didn't realize what it actually was. I found myself at target, stoned, wishing that someone made a really big version of a garlic press so I could strain my stuff after cooking it and there it was.... the potato ricer.

It was then that I felt pretty dumb. Best $10 spent in a long time. :thumbsup:

Haha! Isn't it great? It's a hell of a lot easier to clean than a garlic press too. Mine is so filthy that I'm half afraid to use it- all the tiny bits of garlic stuck in the holes... yuck. And honestly, who has the time to sit there with a toothpick, poking out each one individually? IMHO if you know how to use a knife properly and have a decent one, it's faster just to mince it by hand!
    Now if someone would just post up a spaetzle tutorial... I dig that shit with a SHOVEL and still haven't attempted it with the potato ricer,a nd that's one of the other main uses for the thing. I bet it would be a GREAT use for your cannabutter, too! And what's the Polish equivalent? It's like pierogi dough but pressed out spaetzle-stlyle and cooked in butter and milk. I can't remember the name. But DAYUM as a munchie food it's straight DANGEROUS!

3.   Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by stinkyattic
    Haha! Isn't it great? It's a hell of a lot easier to clean than a garlic press too. Mine is so filthy that I'm half afraid to use it- all the tiny bits of garlic stuck in the holes... yuck. And honestly, who has the time to sit there with a toothpick, poking out each one individually? IMHO if you know how to use a knife properly and have a decent one, it's faster just to mince it by hand!
    Now if someone would just post up a spaetzle tutorial... I dig that shit with a SHOVEL and still haven't attempted it with the potato ricer,a nd that's one of the other main uses for the thing. I bet it would be a GREAT use for your cannabutter, too! And what's the Polish equivalent? It's like pierogi dough but pressed out spaetzle-stlyle and cooked in butter and milk. I can't remember the name. But DAYUM as a munchie food it's straight DANGEROUS!
    ugh, I was in germany last year and I think I ate enough spaetzle to last me a life time.

However I can't get enough of the bratwurst. Bratwurst here in the states just doesn't compare. I loved being able to walk down the street in Germany and having bratwurst stands everywhere (like how we have.. at least where I'm at.. taco stands everywhere). 1 euro would get your a 2 ft llong (well maybe 1.5ft) wurst on a tiny tiny bun. God that stuff was so tasty. :thumbsup:

How much herb can be used with this method at a time? I have a rather large bag of popcorn and trim that is ready to become food-fuel.

I am thinking the half gallon mason jars are probably the best size because they will fit in the pot, but will only hold a limited amount.

Can i assume that ball jars are lead free?

Thanks, i am excited to try this recipe

Yes, canning jars are lead free.
    Make sure to prop the jar up off the bottom of the pot, and never expose it to rapid temperature changes. Let it air-cool. Place it on a dish towel when you take it out of the pot.

Use as much herb as you can get in there and still have it loose enough to stir or shake.

Quote Originally Posted by allrollsin21
    How much herb can be used with this method at a time? I have a rather large bag of popcorn and trim that is ready to become food-fuel.

I am thinking the half gallon mason jars are probably the best size because they will fit in the pot, but will only hold a limited amount.

Can i assume that ball jars are lead free?

Thanks, i am excited to try this recipe
    I just cooked a shitload yesterday... like a fuckin shitload...

I think I made my fudge a lil too strong..

I used a 112 g of shake - 500 g of butter... I have a cheese store on my block, so I get organic butter (it doesn't sit well in the fridge for too long, but it has more fat than the stuff in the supermarket) except my butter looks deep green... I slow boil it for a few hours and then cheesecloth that biotch... (when I don't have cheesecloth white cotton T works even better )

man had two tea spoons of fudge.. maybe three.. I woke up red blazed..

by propping it up., you mean placing something in the pot between the jar and the pot. hmm...maybe like a vegetable steamer??

Veggie steamer ftw! Or a wire rack that fits inside the pot, like one for drying cookies, or if you are all fancy and have a canning pot, there should be a rack that came with it.

Be very careful; it is REALLY hot, and you have to remember to tighten and loosen the ring around the cap at the proper times- loose while it is in the hot water bath, tight while you are agitating it, and don't shake it too hard.

I use a pint size Ball brand mason jar and place it in a pot that holds 1 gallon of water with some room to spare.

I put up to half the jar filled with herb and 1 stick of butter.. Put enough water to cover the herb completely and then add about another half cup for good measure.

I then place the jar with the band and lid on (not tightened down but not completely unscrewed either) and let it sit in a pot of simmering water (occasional bubbles) for 2 hours.

I shake the jar about once every 20 minutes. Not too vigorous (hot water will come spurting out even with the lid tightened all the way) and not to soft either. The butter and water will constantly seperate, this is ok.. just make sure to shake it once every 20 minutes pretty well to ensure that the thc is binding with the fat in the butter and not stuck beneath the herb and melted butter.

I love this method and if I ever met the stinkster I'd probably give her a big hug for teaching me the way to make cannabutter that doesn't taste like burned weed. All my baked goods taste so good.. you can only notice it was made by cannabutter if someone were to tell you. Very very very very slight background taste, not noticeable unless you're looking for it.

Great tutorial. I'm glad more people have started looking into this method. It takes longer but well worth the hassle. :thumbsup:

Is there still some room for me on this bandwagon?

First, a question for Stinkyattic, who is worshipped as a minor deity by all right-thinking people: In the OP, you say to "repeat the heating & shaking process" for the two "washes" after the initial extraction. Should each of those washes last ~2 hours? I got a little impatient on those & only gave the first wash about 1 1/2 hours & the second wash one hour.

There was very little change in the color. I saved a bit of butter from each stage to compare, & I couldn't really tell them apart either by color or flavor.

I also tasted the water at each stage. The water from the initial extraction was fairly vile, but not nearly as bad I expected - actually, it reminded me of Cynar or one of those European herbal digestifs. The water from the first wash had very little flavor, color or cloudiness; the second even less (still had some taste & cloudiness).

You are meant to toss the plant matter after the initial extraction/straining/squeezing, aren't you? I did.

Anyway. ~1 oz dried fan leaves & 1/2 oz vapo-poo into ~7 oz haphazardly clarified butter (Plugra); ~3 hours @ simmer in a small slow-cooker for the initial extraction, then the 2 washes - mason jar/water bath. Straining tek - fine mesh stainless, then nylon hose & a lime squeezer (in lieu of a potato ricer).

Didn't know what to expect re potency at all. This was my first plant since '92 & was just grown like a houseplant in the window. This was also my first use of vapo-poo. The butter is fairly dark green & tastes distinctly grassy (in both senses). I like the flavor.

Yesterday afternoon (empty stomach) I ate a tablespoon of it spread on a biscuit.

Disassembled. ratfucked. I was walking home while I was peaking, & especially while walking up a very steep hill, I had the very strong sensation that I was sort of floating still, & my feet were pushing the earth behind me as I "walked."

Of course according to Einstein that's a perfectly reasonable way of looking at walking.

I'm fairly experienced with edibles, too. I had been using store-bought cannabutter, & then I became a tincture fanatic.

Good stuff!!!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast