Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1587 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

The importance of a continuous canopy: It's all about EFFICIENCY, baby!

haha, thanx. I used to always wet them alil giving kind of a mold to it so it doesnt break apart easily incase the roots havenĀ“t really started makiing that mold themselves (especially in the earlier transplants). but i like ur reasoning

Well ya, spin-out is classified as a chemical pruner but i really wouldnt say it prunes the roots. You paint the inside of the pots with this copper hydroxide mix; the roots grow and just before touching the sides of the pot they turn around, never entering in contact with the chemical. these plants are said to have more roots and more evenly distributed throughout the center of the pot, making them easier to mantain and allowing them to last longer in there pots before needing a transplant. I just think about the possible protection that the roots have when they are not in contact with the bottom or sides of the pot.

so stinky, should the root ball be minimized in some way when transplanting, or should the older soil go directly into the new pot with the new soil surrounding it? i'm guessing the roots are better off continuing to get longer when they stretch to the new bottom.
    but i seem to be wondering if it would be beneficial to eliminate some of the old soil so more of the roots touch new soil and nutes.

3.   Advertisements

If you wait until the correct time to transplant, fresh roots will be exposed simply by removing the pot. I never try to remove soil, as that can damage the roots more than just the little scuffing-up of the corners of the root ball that many growers like to do during transplant.
    The major exception to this is keeping a bonsai mother plant over a long period of time, but that's a topic for another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkyattic
    If you wait until the correct time to transplant, fresh roots will be exposed simply by removing the pot. I never try to remove soil, as that can damage the roots more than just the little scuffing-up of the corners of the root ball that many growers like to do during transplant.
    The major exception to this is keeping a bonsai mother plant over a long period of time, but that's a topic for another thread.
    Stinky, is there a thread on that already, and does it include how to do it hydroponically? if so, please point me in that direction.

i'm trying to set up a SOG so any info on the care and maintainence of mommas is appreciated.

(oh yeah, thanks for the rep the other day)

thanks stinky...yea i was thinking of running the ball under water to remove the soil but they may only further the possibility of damaging the roots during the transplant.

you're the best :thumbsup:

i believe the pictures you posted stinky are pictures of heaven
    \"Worldwide cannabis culture demands an official apology from the UN and world governments, that they acknowledge the war on cannabis and cannabis consumers was a vicious, murderous bigotry with no legitimate social or health concerns whatsoever.\"
    -- Marc Emery, Publisher \"Cannabis Culture\"

It was good while it lasted, and it WAS heaven... this is the view out the greatroom window... and drive in on a snowy twilight... ahhh *tear

Looks like its been a while since anyones posted here, but i just wanted to say wherever those pictures were taken reminds me of Montana. I moved to Texas this year.

Stinky - from seed in Fafard's potting mix, started with dixie cups. Starting as germinated seed, the plants spent 16 days in the dixie cup before being transplanted to 5.5" square pots where they have spent the last 2 weeks. About how long before I should consider repotting in 3 gal. buckets?

jkalb- That's Vermont at its wintry finest. Looks just like that today, actually! We got snow last night. Gorgeous.

Das- Kinda depends on your plans for the plants, and how fast they grow.
    IF you plan to flower them in 3 gal pots, wait until they are as big as you want to put them into 12/12 at, then stick em in 3's and GO!
    If you are keeping them as moms, or the 3 gal pot is not the last pot and you will be flowering in 5 or 10g, let them get good and rootbound in the quart pots, and transplant them before they show stress. You will be able to tell because they suddenly seem to use up all their water SO much faster and need more frequent waterings.
    If you are keeping them as moms, you can even go to an intermediate pot like a gallon size before going up to the 3.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast