Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1520 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Is your language holding you back????

The only prison language creates that I can see is the limits language places on communicating your mind to others.

I don't think in language, I think in feelings and shapes, mathematics and even three dimensions easily.

I cannot however communicate that fully with language, enough to allow another to truly know my thoughts.

So in a way we are each in our own little prison of sorts you could say. Some people more than others. Without language and other forms of communication we use we would be in solitary confinement.

2.   Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by netdog
    The only prison language creates that I can see is the limits language places on communicating your mind to others.

I don't think in language, I think in feelings and shapes, mathematics and even three dimensions easily.

I cannot however communicate that fully with language, enough to allow another to truly know my thoughts.

So in a way we are each in our own little prison of sorts you could say. Some people more than others. Without language and other forms of communication we use we would be in solitary confinement.
    It's always funny when i'm with some high freinds and once and awhile one isnt, and dont talk in full sentences because we all just understand without using many words. Then the sober guy is never understanding shit, like wtf are you talking about, then everyone else is like i understand.

Yea i agree to a certain point

Yeah but you hit a problem when you think of the alternative. What do you propose we do about it? It's all good 2 say we are being held back by language, but unless you can find a better alternative, it's kinda pointless

Derrida was a badass. Didn't he just die like a couple of years ago? Anyways, communication without verbal language. Telepathy, maybe? Other than that, I can't really think of a way. Here's an interesting question, though. Are stimuli necessary for thoughts to occur? In other words, do I need to experience something in order to think? If so, that's a pretty strong argument for determinism, isn't it? In order to have free will, it seems, we would need to have original thought.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12