Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1591 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

What are you currently reading?

Ultimate X-Men Volume 1. It's damned well drawn.

Banewreaker by Jacqueline Carey.

Other than Tolkien and George R R Martin, I don't go in much for fantasy. But I saw this book recommended by Martin on his website, so I gave it a chance. It's pretty good!

It is a very similar story to LOTR; however, it is told from the point of view of the other side. There are a lot of analogous characters and certain analogous plot elements to what you have in LOTR. There is a Gandalf-like wizard-type character organizing a quest to destroy a powerful being that everyone in the world considers evil. But it is told from the point of view of those on the side of the "evil" one, although they don't consider themselves to be evil. The main character would be roughly analogous to the LOTR Witch King. So in this book you are rooting for the freakin' Witch King! In a way you end up hoping they can find and kill Frodo! Ha ha! It's actually really cool. The story stands in it's own right, so you don't have to read it as a twisted take on LOTR, but it is kind of fun if you know that story.

One of the things about LOTR is that people are pretty much unambiguously good or bad. The only time there is an internal struggle within a character about good or evil, it has to do with a good person struggling with the corrupting influence of the outside evil of the ring. This is a bit more of a modern story in that it gets into the ambiguous nature of good and evil --- it's hard to say who is right and who is wrong. The villain of one side is the hero of the other, and they might have their own doubts about their own righteousness. It's a pretty good book for the fantasy genre, I think.

3.   Advertisements

Carlos Castaneda - The Fire From Within.
    (Its pretty trippy... mainly when stoned:stoned

"The Post American World" by Fareed Zakaria. Saw him on the Daily Show and liked what he had to say. Not as good as The World is Flat or the any other global econ book... more general, less specific examples.

The World is Flat is a very good read too if youre into globalization and all that. Talks about how the US is getting left behind in math and science and cites less graduating engineers/mathematicians and the fact that we no longer dominate world math/science contests... Friedman also does a Weds/Sunday op-ed column in the times if you like his stuff. :thumbsup:

DrSpiggity

Quote Originally Posted by DrSpoof
    "The Post American World" by Fareed Zakaria. Saw him on the Daily Show and liked what he had to say.
    Fareed Zakaria has a new weekly show that is about to start on CNN.

yeah its like sundays at noon though... *headslap*

i should dvr it! :thumbsup:

drspiggs

World War Z - Max Brooks

Zombie Survival Guide - Max Brooks

I (heart) zombies

Quantum Physics.. A Beginners guide by Alastair I.M. Rae

teaming with microbes
    jeff lowenfelds & wayne lewis forward by elaine ingham

OMG! i feel so bad is everybody out there reading books? i cant remember the last time my lazy ass read a book. i guess i'll go to barnes and nobles today. There is more to life then going to work for 8-16 hrs. 5 days a week, i just didnt know everyone was spending the extra hours reading. :stupid:

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast