Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1450 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

JustBlew the motor on my ninja

Well yesterday it was like 60 and sunny here so I thought I'd go for a mid winter ride. After warming up the bike and riding around lightly for 30 minutes the motor blew in the middle of a mild acceleration at only 6000rpms(red line is 13500) it died smoke everywhere, huge amounts right out the exhaust and oil sprayed everywhere. While I have yet to take it apart to find out exactly what happened, I do not think I will continue to invest in this bike, never thought the 2008 season would end in January ha.

It was a 98 ZX-7R had fresh oil just been serviced, carbs sync'd, sparks the works. I warmed it up right, slowly worked back into it and wasn't even ridin it hard when it went. I bought the bike several months ago and put about 1200 miles on it since then and I am thinking it has more or all to do with the care given to it before it came into my life.

I haven't decided what exactly to do with it but as much as it hurts I think I may have to just part it out.
    sd6515 Reviewed by sd6515 on . JustBlew the motor on my ninja Well yesterday it was like 60 and sunny here so I thought I'd go for a mid winter ride. After warming up the bike and riding around lightly for 30 minutes the motor blew in the middle of a mild acceleration at only 6000rpms(red line is 13500) it died smoke everywhere, huge amounts right out the exhaust and oil sprayed everywhere. While I have yet to take it apart to find out exactly what happened, I do not think I will continue to invest in this bike, never thought the 2008 season would end in Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

Motors have needs too

Bummer dude. Nice looking bike. Sounds like something let go.

I have owned a couple of Ninjas and they have served me well ,I am sorry to hear about your bad luck man. We need more bikers not less , I hope you have another ride.

Is this common for those types of really fast bikes? I am no biker, or have any knowledge on them, but if you do everything right and it blows like that, it seems a bit impractical.

Time to upgrade!:thumbsup:

sorry for your loss, I would post up my bike but its too distinct.

I had to rewire, and repaint my whole bike.

def. sounds like the previous owners didn't take much care of it

My heart goes out to you man, I am real sorry for your bad luck with your bike.
    My 79 Honda CBX uses the alternator from a 98 ZX7R.

Thanks guys, I'm opening her up today so hopefully I'll see exact;y what happend

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast