Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
11007 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

keeping my plants alive part 2

So i read that great information on this page. Plants Can Survive Your Holiday

I don't think i would have time to set up a time regulated drip system but it would be possible for me to leave them in water until i return. i would be gone for about 7-9 days and wouldn't just leave them out without water.

What i'm wondering is if you put them in a bucket with water in it. do you just cover them or do you just leave a little water in the bottom for the roots to suck up or what?

I guess i'm just a little confused.

I was wondering if someone might be able to explain this to me in a dumb down step by step method. Ive waited to long for my plants just to die on me :|
    stickyichy Reviewed by stickyichy on . keeping my plants alive part 2 So i read that great information on this page. Plants Can Survive Your Holiday I don't think i would have time to set up a time regulated drip system but it would be possible for me to leave them in water until i return. i would be gone for about 7-9 days and wouldn't just leave them out without water. What i'm wondering is if you put them in a bucket with water in it. do you just cover them or do you just leave a little water in the bottom for the roots to suck up or what? I guess Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

All you need is a bucket of water with nute mixed in,or not. A pump and airstone.some tubing and drip emitters.1 gallon per hour drippers. Set your timer to water every day for 15 mins. each day. You could use a wick system. If you leave that water standing in the room uncovered it will create a humidity issue. I wish you the best on having to leave your babies! Automation would be in your best interest!

Ga Grown!

If you have a Nursery (Plant kind) in your area, there are ceramic self waterers that you put in the soil and they draw water from a bowl when the soil is dry. I found them for about $5 each.

Automatic Plant Waterers - Lee Valley Tools

I have not used them yet, hoever I am counting on them for ten days vacation.

Good luck.

The water won't last 10 days. It's only 2 liters. You will need more than that to get them through till you get back home.It greatly has to do with the size of the plant and it's needs.

Ga Grown!

ok so what i did was put them into tubs with water in them. I figure they will over water but thats better then having them completely dry up.... wish my ladies luck :|

I'm no expert, but isn't 7-9 days in standing water a near-death experience? I'm pretty sure that if the roots don't get air, they start to rot.
    I'd probably try to raise the lights (heat) and cut back on the fans, (blow dryer) then water well as you are heading out the door. This, along with the wick method of drip watering:
    5 gal bucket full of ph'd water, set on flat surface, preferably above the height of the pots you want watered...then using thick cotton string or clothesline, weigh one end of string in the bottom of the bucket with big rock or brick. Pull string fairly, but not too taught and weigh the end down in the pot with a brick or big rock. (looks like a zip-line from top edge of bucket, down into the pot.) The thicker the string, the faster it will flow, thus run-out. Each plant gets it's own string(s). Good luck either way.

But that's just me.

P.S. hurry back, lol.

f'kn brilliant.

does any type of string work?

Cotton rope.

mucho gracias..

well i did the bucket method, right before i left i did it. I wish i would have known and i really hope i come back to plants that are not dead. :|.

Is it garentied that letting them sit in water for a week will kill them?

they are not completely submerged just the bottom part of the pots.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast