Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1580 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can you become Addicted to Marijuana?

ok, so lately ive become quite paranoid and feel like im becoming addicted to weed (sounds crazy doesnt it!!). Ive been smoking for 6 years and the first 5 years i would smoke on and off (would rarely buy normally just smoke if someone else had offered or had bud)

but starting about a year ago, a good friend and I started smoking regularly after school. we would smoke blunts on the way home from school and would just talk about how ready we were to graduate. then over the summer we would smoke probably every day just enjoying our summer before going away to school. it is now been a year of smoking daily and i feel like i cant stop. its not that i want to because i enjoy smoking! but i feel like i wont be able to stop since its been a habit for so long....has anyone else had an experiance like this? am i just overreacting?
    BlazedinBA Reviewed by BlazedinBA on . Can you become Addicted to Marijuana? ok, so lately ive become quite paranoid and feel like im becoming addicted to weed (sounds crazy doesnt it!!). Ive been smoking for 6 years and the first 5 years i would smoke on and off (would rarely buy normally just smoke if someone else had offered or had bud) but starting about a year ago, a good friend and I started smoking regularly after school. we would smoke blunts on the way home from school and would just talk about how ready we were to graduate. then over the summer we Rating: 5
    \"I take 3 L\'s to the head: Live, Love, Life then i\'m dead.\" -Lil Wayne

2.   Advertisements

If you were to quit for a week or two, you'd likely discover that you feel quite fine and don't really 'crave' Cannabis.
    \"That\'s the only way you can solve the problem, with a paradox, man.\"

Personally i think its all you personality here. Some people have addicting personalites. Im the type of person that if i eat something or do something that ill feeling like doing that for a long period before i get bored with it. Now i know im not addicted to weed (cause i have money to spend, a good dealer, and i havent bought any in weeks), But ill admit to a small crave towards it. Not an addictive crave, just a crave of a good feeling thats all. Can people be addicted...ill say no, but i do believe some people who rely on it for things like depression, or sleep help will feel more of an urge to use it.

As with anything, marijuana can be addictive. And like Sandman says, a lot does depend on personality. It sounds like in your case, marijuana may have become addictive in a habitual sense, as it is something that you have come to intergrate as a normal part of your day. I think someone can do this with anything, and then possibly encounter difficulties stopping, because it is afterall, a change of lifestyle and daily routine. If you are really curious, just lay off smoking for a little bit and see how you feel. Marijuana can be psychologically addictive if the user's personality allows for it. (It also has been reported to have mild withdrawl symptoms like trouble getting to sleep, or fatigue, stomach pains. Though, the concept of marijuana being physically addictive in any way is usually quickly refuted by most tokers....as the symptoms for many either never show up or don't last past two weeks.)

I do feel, the more you smoke though, the harder time you will have stopping. I'd only become concerned if you felt like your marijuana use was obstructive to your life, but you continued to use it. I think that's when elements of addiction may become apparent. However, if you still enjoy smoking, and regard it in a positive light, this is most healthy.

after smoking everyday (twice or more) for a little over a week I feel like my days are "less eventful" and I do want to be high but is all mental no physical effects like those of ciggarettes.

Thanks for the info so far!

and i also think it has to do with personality, which i dont think i have an addictive personality. like a year after my first time smoking i smoked everyday for a month or so over the summer then i stopped for like two years (Dont ask me why!) and now i smoke heavily again. well i have final exams this week for school so i told myself im not smoking until im done with my exams. i dont have any money or weed either so that should help! ill let u guys know if i feel a "craving" or anything like that
    \"I take 3 L\'s to the head: Live, Love, Life then i\'m dead.\" -Lil Wayne

No physical, if anything it would be mental. I have been a long time smoker and I have quit a few times to take test and to go out of country for travel, 60+ days. I never had withdraws, but I did WANT to smoke, but it was easy not to smoke. It was easier than not smoking/quiting tabbacoo, that was much harder.

You can't become phiscaly addicted to cannabis but you can cinda become mentaly but not realy.so dont worry:rasta:

It is just as easy to become addicted to cannabis, as it is to become addicted to television, ebay auctions, or potato chips.
    The bottom line is this...
    If you have a problem controlling compulsive behavior, it may, or may not, affect your desire to continue smoking cannabis. (confused yet?)

From a chemical standpoint, Marijuana is non-addictive. However, anything can become a habit, and that's what smoking weed is to a lot of people. I've smoked off an on for the past 7 years, and for the past few months I've smoked almost every day, usually atleast 3 or 4 times a day. I've been kind of worried lately that I wouldn't be able to quit if I need to, but I've noticed the only time I crave weed is when it's ok to smoke.

If I go a few hours without a cigarette, I'll find a way to smoke. I'll even smoke cigarette butts if I can't buy a pack (haven't done that in years though). With weed, I feel like I could go the rest of my life without it if I had to. The problem is that as long as it's ok to smoke (ie. job doesn't drug test, no girlfriend to be nagged by) I'm going to be getting high every chance I get and it's killing my tolerance.

Best advice I can give myself, and the best advice I can give you is to just take a short tolerance break. Maybe quit smoking for a week or 2, and make it an event to take your return toke.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast