Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1601 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Clone Log - Cloning with Pics using Master Kush mom...

I don't know if you want my $.02 on your thread MVP, but I'm going to put in a plug for Clonex here. When I clone, which I do on a regular basis, I always use Clonex liquid (I guess they make a gel too?) mixed 10ml/ltr as per package instructions. Rapid Rooters get soaked for a couple hours in the solution; rockwool is soaked overnight. I keep the solution at pH 5.5 and correct it to pH 5.5 before I put the cutting into the rockwool or Rapid Rooter.

I then put a couple of liters of the Clonex solution in a big bowl and, like you, start cutting away and putting the cuttings in the solution as I go. (If I'm doing 80 clones, I'd go out of my mind, and kill my back, if I couldn't do an assembly line like process. ...and if 3% of them die, I couldn't care less.)

Other than the Clonex and the soaking, I'm basically using the same procedure you have here. The clones I take come from bigger mothers, so I have to enlarge the hole in RRs with a screwdriver, but the process is otherwise the same. Oh, when I cut the leaves, I gently squeeze the base of the fan leaf so that the individual leaves are stacked and then cut the entire leaf with one cut. It just makes the operation a little quicker.

Here's a pic of a clone's roots six days after I cut it from the mother.

Very good instructions M.V.P. :thumbsup:

PC :smokin:

Quote Originally Posted by Weedhound
    Hey those are lovely. :thumbsup: Where do you make your hole.....next to the one already made or do you turn the little thing over and make a hole in the bottom?
    I turned them over and poked a smaller hole in the bottom, that way it is less likely to separate or deteriorate over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Weedhound
    Another question....i've heard talk about dipping the stem in water to prevent air bubbles or something. Do you do that at all? If so...why? If not...why not?

Any anti-wilt or antifungal spray?

I dip them in water to keep them all perky and huddled together in case I get distracted from them for a few hours. Small chance of a bubble developing regardless but that is how I always have done it....

I have never used anti-fungals, and never tried an anti-wilt, but it looks like I should give the anti wilt a shot.

3.   Advertisements

Damn PC, love those roots! To me I tried the gel that the hydro fella recommended cuz its new and I like to experiment. I have heard great things about Clonex so I will give it a shot next time I need to buy supplies.

Looks like the gals are wilting today, do you apply an anti-wilt when you do your cuts? I never have but think I need to try it. Let me know if you have a recommendation...

MVP
    :jointsmile:

I don't use an antiwilt, nor do I mist my cuttings or dome, except occasionally as I am putting them in the cloner. That is only if the ones in the cloner start looking a little droopy before I am done. My problem is too much moisture in my humidity dome, not too little. I use an antifungal. This will vary in necessity from system to system. Also as I take cuttings from the mother I submerge them in cold water. That way as I am cloning they stay nice and perky, even down to the last one, and if they were not real perky to begin with they will become so. You want the cut to be submerged as soon as it is cut, and you want to keep it that way until the last possible moment. If the cut dries out in the least, you might as well chuck the cutting. It aint going to undry. I've never seen it, but it could also get an embolism, or air bubble in it, blocking any moisture uptake through the stem.

Nice going so far MVP.

PC, I'm with MVP. That's a nice-looking root mass. I'm assuming you scarify since I've never seen a root ball like that without doing so. Yes? No?

Quote Originally Posted by Opie Yutts
    PC, I'm with MVP. That's a nice-looking root mass. I'm assuming you scarify since I've never seen a root ball like that without doing so. Yes? No?
    that method kicks ass man :rastasmoke:

Quote Originally Posted by MVP
    Damn PC, love those roots! To me I tried the gel that the hydro fella recommended cuz its new and I like to experiment. I have heard great things about Clonex so I will give it a shot next time I need to buy supplies.

Looks like the gals are wilting today, do you apply an anti-wilt when you do your cuts? I never have but think I need to try it. Let me know if you have a recommendation...

MVP
    :jointsmile:
    Clonex makes a rooting gel, but that's not what I'm talking about. Clonex LIQUID is used in conjunction with a cloning gel/powder, not instead of. I use "Green Light" rooting powder - $3.50 at Lowe's.

I've never used wilt pruf - never needed it. I have a special clone cab. I put the trays w/domes inside the clone cab, keep the inside of the domes well misted and keep the temps in the 80's. Anything that doesn't survive is a wimp and I don't want it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by PharmaCan
    Anything that doesn't survive is a wimp and I don't want it anyway.

hahahhaha:rastasmoke:

Quote Originally Posted by Opie Yutts
    Oh yeah, I scarify - and I slice the stem up through my slanted cut.

Just to clarify, when I take cuttings and put them in water, they have lots of extra stem. When I put them in the RR, I scarify, make another cut (at a spot that is going to put the maximum number of nodes inside the RR), cut up the stem a little, dip in the Clonex solution, roll in the rooting powder and into the RR. It takes about ten seconds and I don't have to worry about any air bubble or embolism voodoo 'cuz it's a new cut just seconds before it's done and in the RR or rockwool.

Yo H-

Take a look at this pic from earlier in the thread. Scarifying is gently scraping the outer stem with the blade to expose soft matter that will root more effectively....

MVP

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast