Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1903 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Gibson Robot Guiar...

anyone else seen this?

Gibson Robot Guitar

guitar that tunes itself, has multiple pre-programmed tunings. kind of lazy, i think people should know how to tune, but a cool idea none-the-less. what do you other guitarists think?
    it comes out december 7th, and while i could not find a price msnbc said it was going to be around 2,500$
    brad1028 Reviewed by brad1028 on . Gibson Robot Guiar... anyone else seen this? Gibson Robot Guitar guitar that tunes itself, has multiple pre-programmed tunings. kind of lazy, i think people should know how to tune, but a cool idea none-the-less. what do you other guitarists think? it comes out december 7th, and while i could not find a price msnbc said it was going to be around 2,500$ Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

Gibson Robot Guiar...

i myself am a drummer. but a couple questions come to mind about this
    1. can you re-set the programs ?
    2. can you still tune it in the classic manner?
    3. how many pre-progms are there?
    i know many guitarist and they tune ther axes for differant sound even from song to song. i dont think that it will sell very good. but who knows. i would buy a self tuning drum

Gibson Robot Guiar...

hmm.... seems like a cool idea but after looking at the site it doesnt mention anything about the truss rod auto-adjusting.... i mean sure hats great if it can tune itself but say i want to go from Standard E to open B... I mean normally that would require adjustments to the trus rod to sound right... Im impressed, but reamain slightly skeptical

Gibson Robot Guiar...

This is...kinda stupid, no offense to anyone that wants to actually buy it. With more of these type of guitars, guitarists, especially beginners, will find that tuning will become a thing of the past. Some things should really never change, I mean imagine seeing someone playing a guitar incredibly, and you're impressed with them and all, and they don't even know how to tune the damn thing using their ear. With that being said, it's a cool idea, I just think it will ever really catch on, it's just like a... gimmick or something.

Gibson Robot Guiar...

correction:
    meant i would not buy a self tuning drum

Gibson Robot Guiar...

well, alot of you are kinda missing the big picture, if people want to tune their guitars special, then they wont want this guitar, this is more targeted for people who know less about tuning and guitar theory but can play and have money, your going to be loosing guitar quallity for technoligy in the guitar

Gibson Robot Guiar...

Quote Originally Posted by Phaze1
    well, alot of you are kinda missing the big picture, if people want to tune their guitars special, then they wont want this guitar, this is more targeted for people who know less about tuning and guitar theory but can play and have money, your going to be loosing guitar quallity for technoligy in the guitar
    Yes but honestly that's such a small group of people. I mean, having a shit load of money, playing well (at least a year or two) and still not being able to tune correctly despite being able to play well. Doesn't sound like anyone I know. This guitar has nothing to do about music theory, their are plenty of people that don't know shit about theory but can still tune and at least know the notes on the guitar. I can't imagine this guitar being aimed at beginners, because no beginner I know has $1500 to drop on their first guitar.

So Honestly, IMO, this guitar is really just a gimmick.

Gibson Robot Guiar...

the fender VG stratocaster is more versitle for the needs of a guitarist today, changing tunings at the turn of a knob from standard to baritone, open g, dadgad, and drop d. also pick-up voicing from tele, strat and humbucking sounds, sound really cool!, i hope fender allow us to change the tunings to suit the individual player, there are other tunings that i would prefer on it but might hesitate to buy if you were stuck only with the ones with the guitar, or then again, you could tune the guitar normally with the tuning you want that isn't available on the knob and then use the electronics to make it back to standard tuning