Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1585 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Identifying a strain by bud or plant pics

'Can someone identify this?' is an almost daily question here and I'd like to give some info about strain ID.

It's very difficult to even GUESS what strain something is by a picture, and nearly impossible to get it right. Beware anyone who claims they can look at a picture of a plant or bud and say confidently that is 'fire ass purple haze dro yo'. It just can't be done.

Bud ID:
    This is the hardest of all. Frankly, most buds look like... buds!!! Bricked weed is COMPLETELY impossible to ID, and the strains that are run on a large scale in tropical brick producing areas are just not going to be readily available to the public as seed, and may not even bear a name at all. Non- bricked weed is also impossible to ID; while sometimes it's easy to say what it ISN'T, saying what it IS is jsut not going to happen! Knowing color, flavor, structure, and effect can sometimes narrow down the possibilities, but that's as far as it goes.

Plant ID:
    While there are some strains that grow in very distinctive ways, like ducksfoot, Aussie Bastard Hemp, OGK 'abusive', Soma's Rock Bud and Lavender, Maple Leafed Indica, and a very short list of others, most plants are impossible to identify beyond saying 'that plant has an indica-leaning structure' or 'that looks like a landrace sativa'. To even get to the point where you can say this, the plant must be solidly vegging, at least a month old. Even then, there's little point.

So FYI before you post a thread asking to ID a strain by a blurry picture of some crumbled buds... don't be so hung up on strain names. Be happy that you have some nice cannabis to smoke and enjoy!

:jointsmile:
    stinkyattic Reviewed by stinkyattic on . Identifying a strain by bud or plant pics 'Can someone identify this?' is an almost daily question here and I'd like to give some info about strain ID. It's very difficult to even GUESS what strain something is by a picture, and nearly impossible to get it right. Beware anyone who claims they can look at a picture of a plant or bud and say confidently that is 'fire ass purple haze dro yo'. It just can't be done. Bud ID: This is the hardest of all. Frankly, most buds look like... buds!!! Bricked weed is COMPLETELY impossible to Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

Everyone wants to say they have headdies. I just scored a bag from someone new, and the buds didn't look like what I am used to. I thought it was dirt weed. I think it's outdoor or soil grown. Anyway, it's some pretty dank shit for the price.

Thanks for pointing out what is obvious to most experienced growers/users. I for one am fed up with so called "experts" who know by smell,taste, or sight what strain, or (my favorite) what combination of strains make up the current stash. A rose by any other name will smell as sweet so is the same for good bud
    [align=center][SIZE=\"5\"]\"Illegitimi non carborundum\"[/SIZE][/align]

wicker.....you cannot tell which five types of mj make up a bud by looking at it??

PS...Love the fire ass purple haze dro yo.....:thumbsup:

When you see someone saying "yeah, that's purple haze" or "Thats white widow man!" you know they have NO idea what they're talking about. Most of them have probably never even grown, let alone had any of the strains they THINK they have.

Yeah, it seems like no matter which of my homegrown strains, that I show to this one guy, is always the same exact strain his buddy's guy grows once in a while. Not only is it impossible, but it's insulting to humanity. His jaw drops, and he says the name of it, and I want to punch him in the mouth.

there are so many different strains of cannabis out there I dont even know why people (unless you grew it) try to give it a name.. this guy I know always calls and says he got all these exotic strains when all I see around town is the same ole' stuff. But it is kind of amusing to hear all about all these so called strains he smokes.. hahaha

I'm glad this was finally posted...I give it a 10 :thumbsup:

thank you stinky this was a well needed sticky...im soooo tired of seeing these thigns and then those of us who actually know a thing or two about cannabis have to explain to these people thats damn near impossible for us to tell them

It is and I love your disposition on the subject matter. I haven't grown much but i hope to change that in the near future. I'd love to be among the smoking elite if you catch my drift......One love Mates!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast