Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1790 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Philosophy Quotes

Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence.
    :smokebong:

Philosophy Quotes

The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but to have only the law of nature for his rule. The liberty of man, in society, is to be under no other legislative power, but that established, by consent, in the commonwealth; nor under the dominion of any will, or restraint of the law, but what that legislative shall enact, according to the trust put in it. - John Locke

The only freedom which deserves the name is that of persuing our own good, in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. - J.S Mill

The fairest rules are those to which everyone would agree if they did not know how much power they would have.

Each person is to have an equal right to the most extensive total system of equal basic liberties compatible with a similar system for all. - John Rawls, A theory of justice

Whoever makes something having bought or contracted for all other held resources used in the progress...is entitled to it. The situation is not one of something's getting made, and there being an open question of who is to get it. Things come into the world already attatched to people having entitlements over them. - Robert Nozick

The government has no right to meddle in the care of men's souls. - Locke

Where there is no law there is no freedom. - Locke

All that makes existence valuable to any one depends on the enforcement of restraints upon the actions of other people. Some rules of conduct, therefore, must be imposed, by law in the first place, and by opinion on many things which are not fit subjects for the operation of law. - Mill

Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. - Lord Acton

Philosophy Quotes

â??You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.â? -Friedrich Nietzsche

â??Nothing exists except atoms and empty space; everything else is opinion.â? -Democritus

4.   Advertisements

Philosophy Quotes

'We are free to work or free to starve' - Marx

God does not exist and we must draw the consequences of his absense to the end. - Sartre

Only man can be the future of man. - Sartre

In fashioning myself I fashion man - Sartre

One will never be able to explain one's action by reference to a given and specific human nature; in other words, there is no determinism - man is free, man is freedom. - Sartre

Man cannot be sometimes slave and sometimes free; he is wholly and forever free or he is not free at all. - Sartre

We mean that man first of all exists... and defines himself afterwards... Man is nothing else but that which he makes of himself. - Sartre

When the conscious mind imagines, it disengages itself from what is real to look for something that isn't there or doesn't exist. and it was this passage into the imaginary that helped me to understand what freedom is. - Sartre

Philosophers have interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it. - Marx

In communist society, where nobody has one exclusive sphere of activity but each can become accomplished in any branch he wishes, society regulates the general production and thus makes it possible for me to do one thing today and another tomorrow, to hunt in the morning, fish in the afternoon, criticize after dinner. - Marx

The mode of production of material life conditions the general process of social, political and intellectual life. it is not the consciousness of men that determines their existence, but their social existence that determines their consciousness. - Marx

Let us review the various factors as seen in our supposition: My work would be a free manifestation of life, hence an enjoyment of ife. Presupposing private property, my work is an alienation of life, for I work in order to live, in order to obtain for myself the means of life. My work is not my life. - Marx

Philosophy Quotes

For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity to exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable: intoxication.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

Great quote

Tom

Philosophy Quotes

Everything that the modern mind cannot define it regards as insane - C.G Jung

Philosophy Quotes

...and we must consider that since-unfortunately-we are forced to live together, the most important thing for us to remember is that the only way in which we can have any law at all is to have as little of it as possible. I see no ethical standard to which to measure the whole unethical conception of a State, except in the amount of time, of thought, of money, or effort and of obedience, which a society extorts from its every member. Its value and its civilization are in inverse ratio to that extortion. There is no conceivable law by which a man can be forced to work on any terms except those he chooses to set. There is no conceivable law to prevent him from setting them-just as there is none to force his employer to accept them. The freedom to agree or disagree is the foundation of our kind of society...
    ~Ayn Rand
    \"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny.\" -Thomas Jefferson

http://boards.cannabis.com/hydroponi...rst-hydro.html
    [COLOR=\"Red\"]
    Redheads[/COLOR] not warheads, blondes not bombs, we\'re talking about brunettes not fighter jets! When will the governments realize its got to be funky sexy ladies?

Philosophy Quotes

Do you ask what moral obligation I owe to my fellow men? None- except the obligation I owe to myself, to material objects and to all of existence: rationality. I deal with men as my nature and theirs demands: by means of reason. I seek or desire nothing from them except such relations as they care to enter of their own voluntary choice. It is only with their mind that I can deal and only for my own self-interest, when they see that my interest coincides with theirs. When they dont, I enter no relationship; I let dissenters go their way and I do not swerve from mine. I win by means of nothing but logic and I surrender to nothing but logic. I do not surrender my reason or deal with men who surrender theirs.

Ayn Rand "For the New Intellectual"

Philosophy Quotes

"When you smoke the herb, it reveals you to yourself"
    -Marley

Philosophy Quotes

Man is truly free among equally free men

Freedom can only be created by freedom, by a total rebellion of the people and by a voluntary organization of the people from the bottom up.

The urge to destroy is also a creative urge - M. Bakunin

Either the state forever, crushing individual and local life, taking over in fields of human activity, bringing with it its wars and its domestic struggles for power, its palace revolution which only replace one tyrany with another, and inevitably at the end of this development there is... death! OR the destruction of States, and a new life starting again in thousands of centres on the principle of the lively initiative of the individual and groups and that of free arangement. The choice lies with you! - P. Kropotkin

I am a fanatical lover of liberty considering it as the unique environment within which the intelligence, dignity and happiness of mankind can develop and increase. - Bakunin

The very fact that a person has a consciousness of self, of being different from others, creates a desire to act freely. The craving for liberty and self-expression is a very fundamental and dominant trait. - Emma Goldman

Prisons are the universities of crime - ?

For me, the chief principle of anarchism is not freedom but autonomy, the ability to initiate a task and do it one's own way... Autonomous people protect themselves stubbornly including plenty of passive resistance. - Paul Goodman

Society must be constructed to protect the sovereignty of the individual inviolate. - Josiah Warren

Everyone dies if only to justify life - Gentle Giant

Among the works of man which human life is rightly employed in perfecting and beautifying, the first in importance is surely man himself. - Mill

Human nature is not a machine to be built after a model, and set to do exactly the work prescribed for it, but a tree, which requires to grow and develop itself on all sides, according to the tendency of the inward forces which make it a living thing. - Mill

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast