Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1753 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Philosophy Quotes

wow...I'll get to reading...thank you for opening me up to this new learning

Philosophy Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by Reefer Rogue
    There's a lot of them, i'll start us off with a good one from Socrates:

"The unexamined life is not worth living."
    As above, so below. Thoth Hermegistus

3.   Advertisements

Philosophy Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by Coelho
    "What makes us unhappy is to want. Yet if we would learn to cut our wants to nothing, the smallest thing we'd get would be a true gift. To be poor or wanting is only a thought"

This is very similar to Bhuuddist teachings :

By watching people Buddha found out that the causes of suffering are craving and desire, and ignorance. The power of these things to cause all suffering is what Buddhists call The Second Noble Truth.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknotpsycho
    To sit back and do nothing is to cooperate with the oppresser.
    Jane Elliot
    This reminds me of Da Vinci
    He who does not punish evil commands it to be done.

And just to finish I will add my own slice of personal philosophy :
    Insanity is the last refuge of the sane mind.

Philosophy Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by psychocat
    This is very similar to Bhuuddist teachings :

By watching people Buddha found out that the causes of suffering are craving and desire, and ignorance. The power of these things to cause all suffering is what Buddhists call The Second Noble Truth.
    Indeed! In fact, many teachings of Don Juan are remarkably alike Buddhist teachings...
    I think its reasonable, cause buddhists and shamans, through their techniques, reach a view of the world that is beyond the "illusion of the senses", they go "outside the Matrix", and so they can see the world as it actually is.

Quote Originally Posted by psychocat
    And just to finish I will add my own slice of personal philosophy :
    Insanity is the last refuge of the sane mind.
    Man... i can understand each word, each letter of this thought... and i agree completly! :stoned::jointsmile:

Quote Originally Posted by TryptamineScape
    wow...I'll get to reading... thank you for opening me up to this new learning
    Well... if you get all the books, you will note that the first 3 ones are not in cronological order... so, if you want read them in cronological order, i would suggest read:

1 - The part 1 (chapters 1-17) of Journey to Ixtlan (the 3rd book, and the best in my opinion)
    2 - A Separate Reality (the 2nd book)
    3 - The part 2 (chapters 18-20) of Journey to Ixtlan.
    4 - Then the next books, in their own order: Tales of Power (the 4th), The Second Ring of Power (the 5th), etc...

The first book, The Teachings of Don Juan, happens (in cronological order) together with the chapters 8 to 17 of Journey to Ixtlan. So you can read it whenever you wish. This book is, for me, the less good of them all. So, i suggest you read it after the others.

And the last book, The Active Side of Infinity is different of them all, so it can be read after the 4th (Tales of Power). Its also a VERY good book.

Anyway, i suggest you to look the site i posted the link... so you can get a idea of what you will read in the books... and so, you will wish to read them more yet! :thumbsup:

Philosophy Quotes

People who live in glass houses shouldn't get stoned. -unknown

Philosophy Quotes

If you live in a glass house don't throw stones

If you can't take blows brother, don't throw blows. - Peter Tosh

He who neglects to drink of the spring of experiance is likely to die of thirst in the desert of ignorance. - Lin Po

Philosophy Quotes

"be the change you wish to see in the world"
    - ghandi
    "three things cannot be hidden, the sun, the moon, and the truth"
    - buddha
    "at a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act"
    - george orwell
    "choosing the lesser of two evils, is still choosing evil"
    - jerry garcia

Philosophy Quotes

"To be good is noble; but to show others how to be good is nobler and no trouble" - Mark Twain

"Goodness is easier to recognize than to define" W.H Auden

Philosophy Quotes

Ayn Rand on faith:

Do not say that you're afraid to trust your mind because you know so little. Are you safer in surrendering to mystics and discarding the little that you know? Live and act within the limit of your knowledge and keep expanding it to the limit of your life. Redeem your mind from the hockshops of authority. Accept the fact that you are not omniscient, but playing a zombie will not give you omniscienceā??that your mind is fallible, but becoming mindless will not make you infallibleā??that an error made on your own is safer than ten truths accepted on faith, because the first leaves you the means to correct it, but the second destroys your capacity to distinguish truth from error.

Philosophy Quotes

A dream is a prophecy in miniature - Talmud

We are never present with, but always beyond ourselves; fear, desire, hope, still push us on toward the future. - Montaigne

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast