Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1641 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Simple nOOb instructions for growin' da dankness

stinky im not new on here but im new to surfing on here.. im getting more respect for you by the hour..
    YEA

2.   Advertisements

Thank you, thank you.
    I'll be here all week with shows at 5:30 and 9:30.
    Don't forget to tip your bartender, and check out the buffet in the Tiki Room.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryLane
    I can't find my collection of bag seed! Blah!
    That's what friends are for. And your dealer, if he's an honest dude, is an EXCELLENT seed resource.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryLane
    I had a bag full of seeds that I kept because I liked the particular high I would get off whatever batch I got the seed from.
    This is EXACTLY how to select bag seeds.
    IF you don't like the high, don't save the seeds.
    If you are indoors, remember to save the couchy indica type stuff separately from the zoomy sativa shit, which will be a pain to grow inside.

yea you was right this was very very helpfull!!!!!!!!!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hey Stinky, the information I've read from you probably is priceless and is put to much use. Thanks.

Dryin -n- curin?

Well my take on the post-harvest steps is pretty no nonsense; cut at your preferred %cloudy/amber, do a basic trim immediately- chop the fans and any sugar leaves that are sticking out.
    Hang or stick in a vase in an area that is dimly lit, cool, and dry- I have been in the bad habit of using drying buds as a centerpiece in my dining room, which is conveniently air conditioned, dim, and dry. lol. And it makes a fantabulous conversation piece when my dinner guests have that flash of dawning realization that the 'bouquet' is a couple zips of drying bud....
    Anyway...
    When the thing is dry enough that the smallish branches are a little brittle and will crack properly when you bend them, snip the buds off and toss in a glass jar- again, keep it in a cool and dim area- the first couple days, open it long enough to drink your morning coffee, and again long enough in the evening to have your bedtime puff. If it's super humid out, you have to burp in a dehumidified room for it to have any effect. In a few days the moisture will even out throughout the bud.
    It's pretty intuitive- the actual timing depends upon your ambient conditions, especially humidity- but even for a first timer you will certainly be able to feel how a bud jarred up feeling dry in the morning will feel moist again by nightfall in a sealed jar, and you just keep repeating the 'burp' until the moisture content is consistent between openings... if that makes any sense?

Oh durr, edit... at some point in here you can also do a more twitchy manicure. I do mine at the end of the burp period, when I have decided the moisture content is where it should be- I go through and snip off any leftover sugar leaves that are sticking out in an unattractive way, and scour for seeds ( I breed and occasionally I do get rogue seeds here and there). Those seeds go to one of my peeps who has been having some fun with them. Yay. And the sugar leaves go into the hash box.

I thought I'd add a list of basic equipment and supplies to get going solidly and on a tight budget.

Lights:
    2 Shop lights- 4- foot, T-12, 2-tube fixtures, Home DePot, $8 each, plus 4 Cool White or Kitchen and Bath tubes to put in them
    1 HPS 400, about $150 for an inexpensive one. If you go bigger, or have a small space, spend the extra ~50-100 bucks on a quality air-coolable reflector.
    1 4" duct booster fan, a power tool replacement cord, and a length of 4" flexible ducting- you will use this to cool your light. The fan needs the cord; black to black, white to white, green to ground, secure with wire nuts. Home DePot, $35 total.

Air handling:
    1 24" metal high velocity fan, $25 at the dollar store or walmart, or a couple cheap oscillating fans.
    You can spend some more $$$ and buy a proper 6" exhaust designed for a grow if you like. With a small light, it isn't particularly important yet.
    Depending upon local weather etc, you may need an a/c unit, which you will also use as a dehumidifier, about $80 at home depot.

Containers and media:
    1 seedling starting tray with inserts and dome, $9 for a proper one with a tall dome that you will later need for cloning.
    About 10-15 4" square deep quart nursery pots, I get mine free from a nursery dumpster or for 25 cents each if the dumpster is empty, lol.
    10 finishing pots, should be about 3 gallons for a light that size. Kitty litter pails work well. Drill holes in the bottom AND up the sides with a 1/2" paddle bit.
    1- 40# sack of Agway manure with humus
    1- 8 qt sack of perlite
    1 bag of farfard seedling starting medium- it's not overferted.
    Big rubbermaid tote for mixing and storage

Nutrients and other chemicals:
    SuperThrive
    Alaska Fish Emulsion
    Cornucopia Bloom or PureBlend Pro Bloom
    Sweet
    Molasses
    pH kit that includes liquid indicator, up, and down
    Green Light neem concentrate
    Bonide Rotenone with Pyrethrins (only use in veg, and only if you get bugs)
    I also like to keep Soil Syrup and GH Micro around to fix any problems that arise.

This is literally ALL you need to get going!

Cloning supplies:
    RapidRooters
    Dip-n-Grow
    X-acto knife w/ blades
    use the prop tray you already have, but clean it well
    Wilt-Pruf

No mention of the pre-harvest flush... I am very curious what your thoughts are. I started an utterly unsuccessful Mythbuster in basic growing about it; perhaps you could weigh in.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast