Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1445 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

has anyone put their dog down?

I had to take my old Staffordshire Bull terrier to the vets to be put to sleep. She had been around for longer than my eldest child, and it was the hardest decision of my life...I still miss her and I get choked up thinking about her dying in my arms

2.   Advertisements

Had a miniature pincher. The most energetic and playful dog i've ever had. Though he only stood about a foot tall with all 4 legs planted, he could jump (and use my legs to jump off of) to about my shoulders with a little momentum.

He got hit by a car while chasing a squirrel a while back and it damaged his main nerve in his left front leg rendering it useless and limp. I took him to the vet and he said it was just going to take time to get better. For a few months I had a 3-legged dog (even though he had 4 limbs). Eventually, he started biting at his limp leg. We would put bandages over it so he couldn't bite his own leg, but he got through that. We eventually realized that we had to amputate. To buy us some time before he chewed his own paw off, we put a cone on him.

So we wake up the next morning and his cone is not on him... but neither is his paw. He got all the way through! Thankfully we'd keep him in a large cage at night so he doesn't chew everything up in the house at night.

We couldn't find anyone to amputate that didn't need the money right up front. I just didn't have $1500 to put down at the time, however, I was very willing to finance it. Unfortunately, there's no help or understanding for pet owners who don't have $1500 on tap.

Taking my dog to get put down was the hardest thing i'd ever done. He was only two! He didn't need to go yet!

:wtf: you mean like..assisted dog suicide?

The Simpson's do (sorry about your dog) rock!!!

Sorry to hear that mate I know how difficult that can be. I've done it a few hundred times in High School for I was a vet assistant for four years and every time I saw him do it it was like the first day all over again. I have only put one of the family dogs down for he was hit by one of my neighbors while drunk.He didn't even have the nerve to walk to the house and tell us, he called about an hour later and told me where my dog was.

I hope your grandmother is doing well its hard to loose a friend, especially when their full of purity and love.

Yes I've done it. It is the nature of life in the big country. Last one was a 9mm hollow point between the eyes of one of my Blue Heeler dogs. It's no fun but it's better than paying someone else to do it. Then I got out the D-10 cat and dug a nice hole with one or two swipes, laid her in the hole, had a little service with my family, then they watched me cover her over and make a little mound.

We had a miniature collie we had to put down.....she was old and had arthritis,She was a good dog,When The doctor gave her a shot and I saw her head go down,I was so sad and angry at the same time.I never thought I would be that sad,but it felt like one of the family had passed away...........it was.

im so sorry for your loss... i couldn't imagine doing such a sad thing... you are so brave to be with your dog during their final moments,
    Stay Blessed,
    Bee x

Good question: Always relevant; My cousin had to do this last week. Listening to her, being able to talk about it without a tear in her eye, as I wept. Have had to do it several times. Have a few in a pet cemetary and a few in a box (cremated): Still digs up old feelings when the topic comes up; On the bright side, I have a recent addition: when I figure out how to post, will post in pet pics thread;
    Anyway, they say psychologically-the best thing to do is get a new pet asap: AS, I have done this and can assure you, the work of a new puppy and training, gets you busy on your new goal and seems to help a great deal! I lucked out with my new addition; first mixed breed I've had and I just love her! Fills the immediate empty hole-in the long run. The only thing I can say in addition is: It is always better to do it before you feel guilty you waited too long! I am sure I did with one pet, as I felt her life diminishing while the vet prepared the medicine-I was sure she was fading in my arms of cardiac arrest after a long struggle with pancreatitis. The guilt will always live on. The only comfort is in the fact she was wiggling her tail and walking in the front yard the evening before and I stayed up all night with her trying to decide, when: By that time-I realized, she most likely was having some mini heart attacks and seemed to have mild seizures throughout the night, even though she recognized me-she never appeared to be in pain. Perhaps, that is how our little friends 'take care of us.' If only I had perceived her time was there, when she was comforting me. Now, my new little friend has all the best traits of every pet I've ever had. Plus, I decided on just one pet at a time, instead of two. It sure makes my new little friend different. Always thought they needed another 4 pawed friend. Boy, was I wrong. Not that 2 pets aren't better than one-it just suits my needs better.
    The other thing the professionals rec; is to have a plan for the demise of your pet when the day comes-you will be preparred. After my very first loss-I had a plan (as I had read the professionals recs prior tho the unexpected passing) so I had a plan and just went into auto-pilot, even getting a new pet 2 days later. It took months before I could speak or tell anyone of his passing. Not that it gets easier, but having a plan for that day-is the best thing!
    A thread that remais relevant to us all!

I just put my white boxer down. She was only 4. Had bad cancer, and it was time. Had the vet come to the house. It was terrible, but very easy on my baby girl. God bless you all that have lost a pet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Amount:

Enter a message for the receiver:
BE SOCIAL
GreenGrassForums On Facebook