Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1684 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Who likes numbers?

Alright I've been researching, brain storming, tokin', and drinkin', trying to figure out how to put my lighting system to it's optimum use. I'm working with a 1,000w HPS system. Thats with a MH conversion bulb, and eye hortilux HPS bulb
    I've figured the numbers with 3 possible garden sizes 4x4, 4x5, 5x5. I'll start with the brightest.

4'x4' area=16 square feet or 62watts/ square foot
    HPS=9,062 Lumens/ square foot
    MH =6,562 Lumens/ square foot

4'x5' area=20 square feet or 50watts/ square foot
    HPS=7,250 Lumens/ square foot
    MH =5,250 Lumens/ square foot

5'x5' area=25 square feet or 40watts/ square foot
    HPS=5,800 Lumens/ square foot
    MH= 4,200 Lumens/ square foot

With some research I found a thread at marijuana.com that was saying the lumens to keep a plant growing was
    Minimum about2,000 Lumens/ square foot
    Mid-range about 5,000 Lumens/ square foot
    Optimum about 7,000-7,500 Lumens/ square foot or higher
    SOURCE= Lamp Lumen Data - Page 2 - The Garden's Cure

I know I've seen a thread discussing how much light is too much, but I cant find it, anybnody?
    I'm thinking of going with the 4'x4' area to get the most intensity out of the lighting system but 6,562 Lumens for veg, and 9,062 Lumens for flower seems like I may be pushing too much light. But this may be suitable considering I want some big mother fuckin' (4'-6') plants, of the highest quality possible.

Also I'm thinking of going with Mandala's Kalichakra, and/or White satin. And I will be using organic soil. Probably a 2-3 month veg to get them nice and big.

Anyone have any thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?
    peace
    davejohnwright Reviewed by davejohnwright on . Who likes numbers? Alright I've been researching, brain storming, tokin', and drinkin', trying to figure out how to put my lighting system to it's optimum use. I'm working with a 1,000w HPS system. Thats with a MH conversion bulb, and eye hortilux HPS bulb I've figured the numbers with 3 possible garden sizes 4x4, 4x5, 5x5. I'll start with the brightest. 4'x4' area=16 square feet or 62watts/ square foot HPS=9,062 Lumens/ square foot MH =6,562 Lumens/ square foot 4'x5' area=20 square feet or 50watts/ Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

Who likes numbers?

You are a bit more sophisticated than some of us, lol....
    I just go by the 50 watts of HID per square foot, and use the best bulbs I can find to squeeze out a couple more lumens.
    I'm happily running 1400w HPS in a 5x6 space.

Your issue is going to be DISTRIBUTION, since you want big ass honkin' bitches. If I wanted to grow that style, I would switch to 4 vertical-burning HPS600s in parabolic reflectors. ATM my plants are under a single 1000 and a 400 (when they first enter the flower room), and they have to be bent over short to take advantage of the light. With multiple points of light, you get the luxury of side lighting to your big bushes.
    Just some thoughts. I think BlueBear- who was growing BIG plants- was running parabolics.

Who likes numbers?

Well, issues w/ light distribution and airflow...

If I were running a whole bunch of cuttings, I'd probabley go w/ the 4x4, because I'd know that I had plenty of overhead room for stuff like carbon filters, oscillating fans, etc. I'd be able to cram all that crap up over the reflector and still know that I'd be able to keep the reflector high enough over the plants to keep the distribution pattern sort of even-ish.

Doing smaller #'s of larger plants- you're gonna get tight on room by the time you hit flower set. Going to the 5x5 does cost you some intensity, but it buys you a whole bunch of room, allowing a certain amount of relected sidelight off the walls.

Also, you have to balance things on a total room yeild basis.

Let's say (purely for conjecture) that intensity and yield per square foot are directly ( 1 to 1) correlated. Let's also say, ( and I am making these #s up) that your cultivar of choice will produce 1 oz dry per square foot @ 9,062 Lumens/ square foot. Your 4x4 will produce a lb. ( 16sq'x1oz)

At 7,250 Lumens/ square foot, ( 80% of above) each square foot will produce .8 oz, assuming a 1 to 1 relationship. Your 4x5 will produce a pound (20 sq'x.8oz)

In the 5x5, the plants are receiving 65% the intensity of the 4x4. If we follow our admittedly-all-made-up formula, each sq' will produce .64 oz. Your 5x5 will produce , oddly enough, a pound. ( 25sq' x.64oz).

I love linear relationships. They're so...symmetrical...

So a lot of it comes down to personal management issues, grow style, cultivar chosen, etc. It's a lot easier to manage environmentals in 200 cubic foot room (5x5x8) than it is in a 128 cf room(4x4x8). Larger spaces are more tolerant of mistakes, easier to work in, etc.

It sounds like you're not that familiar w/ the genetics that you'll be running. I'd definately go for the larger space- It really bites to realize that you timed things just right to peg the room at 70% stretch, but the plants are gonna do 140%.

I like a k per 4x4 if you're running say, 4 of them in an 8x8 room, but cramming one into a 4x4 presents management issues. Make it easy on yourself- go a little big.
    I assume you understand that we have options on your time,
    And we will ditch you in the harbour if we must-
    But if it all works out nicely,
    You\'ll get the bonus you deserve
    From doctors we trust.

Who likes numbers?

Well, Mandala's catalog recommends 400 watts per square meter for Kalichakra. That works out to about 37 watts per square foot, which is pretty close to what 5' x 5' would give you. If you want really huge plants, the limiting factor often seems to be soil quantity rather than light. Do you have any 10-gallon planters? Trash cans maybe?

Who likes numbers?

DJW - Check out this thread - Sealed Room 3lbs/light. He's got the same light concentration as you are contemplating - except he's doing an 8'x8' area. This isn't exactly the same kind of grow you are talking about, but Tranoble seems to have his shit dialed in pretty tight and you might get some good ideas from the thread.

PC :thumbsup:

Who likes numbers?

Alright I slept on it, and I'm thinking I should start the veg cycle in the 4x5, or 5x5 since there will be more plants before I weed out the males, and they may not like the intensity so much at that age.

For the flower cycle I'm thinking I should keep 4 plants in a 4x4 area, or a 4x5
    depending on if space becomes an issue, and if needed I can LST/ supercrop to use all available space/ keep them from overgrowing the garden. Vertical space is no issue since I have 12' of head room in the spot I have picked out.

Your right Rhizome I am unfamiliar with Mandalas genetics. I have read wonderful things about them though, and they are the cheapest seeds I've seen anywhere on the net, so I think they deserve the opportunity to prove themselves in my garden. I may have jumped the gun when I stated a 2-3 month veg cycle, if Mandalas seeds are anywhere near as good as I've heard it wont take that long at all.

I've still got plenty of time to figure out what I'm gonna do. I'm patiently waiting for the summer heat to die down before setting my garden back up. Plus my lady has been on my ass to grow her some mushrooms, so I'll start/ finish that project first, even though i myself am immune to psilocybin.

Who likes numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by davejohnwright
    Vertical space is no issue since I have 12' of head room in the spot I have picked out.

Nice.

W/ that kinda headroom, have you thought about going to a parabolic? Go 6x6 no prob, give ya 3x3 per tree.
    I assume you understand that we have options on your time,
    And we will ditch you in the harbour if we must-
    But if it all works out nicely,
    You\'ll get the bonus you deserve
    From doctors we trust.

Who likes numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by rhizome
    Nice.

W/ that kinda headroom, have you thought about going to a parabolic?
    Can you explain why you said this. (Real question, not argument - it's sometimes hard to tell these days. )

PC:smokin:

Who likes numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by PharmaCan
    Can you explain why you said this. (Real question, not argument - it's sometimes hard to tell these days. )

PC:smokin:
    I dont understand either. I figure my rectangular air cooled hood would work nice to give me a square garden. Parabolic would give me a round garden, if I'm not mistaken. And my geometry is too rusty to figure those numbers. lol

Who likes numbers?

Hey pharmacan the link you gave isnt working. I seem to remember seeing that thread before, but am having trouble locating it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast