Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1903 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newbie problems please help asap

So i am totally new to this whole growing thing. ABout a week ago i bough an o' and saved the seeds out of it (not sure what exactly it was but high resmebled headies). So i used the paper towel method and got about 4 to get little roots coming out of them. When they were about 1/2in i transplanted them into a large bin that is about 6" deep. Ive got about 4-5" of soil in it. I bought miracle-gro desert formula because it was high drainage and was mixed with sand and pearlites (not sure my soil is best choice but i tried to follow some guides). I put the entire bag into my container took the 4 seeds put them root down and burried them, later to realize that instead of putting them about an 1" 1" and 1/2 into the soil that it wasnt supposed to be that deep. So i carefully uncovered 3 tops to find they had already kicked their shells of and had their tips of growth. 2 were funkily aimed as if wilting and were not exactly green in color. The third one was the seed that was quickest to germinate it had a beautiful tiny top that was nice and green. Well after uncovering them i made sure i didnt cover the tops back up and continued on my 24/7 light schedule. I use a reptile mister to water as needed (follow 1in measure rule, if its moist at 1in deep leave if not water). As far as bulbs go i have 2 18in florescent fixtures that are suspended above the tops of the plants about 2in away. THe first fixture contains a hagen 15w
    6700k, 90 LUX, Life Glo 2 bulb that has peaks in blue, green,and yellow spectrum. The second fixture was supposed to contain a gro-lux bulb but everywhere i went in town did not carry any sylvania florescents except for the cool white. Instead i found a GE plant and aquarium light that all i can find on it spec wise is 510 lumens, 15 watts, 90 cri. I bought this bulb hoping it would be an equivalent to a gro lux bulb so any input here on that is welcome. Next (lemme explain this first i had tons of reptiles so i had tons of fixtures both florescent and incadescent laying around) for the third fixture i choose an screw in base bulb from sylvania, it is a Spot-Gro 50w it says to keep about 8in away from plant because of heat so i have it pretty far back on the mounting. These lights run 24hrs a day. I monitor in-soil temp with a temp node and the temp/humidity right above soil (currently sprouts height). My temp stays at about a constant 83-84 degrees with nothing higher than around 50%humidity right above soil (peaks higher right after being watered but quickly comes back down). My setup is in a closted painted white and has no other light besides the ones i have for the plants. I also have an oscilating fan placed in front of my setup to keep the temp and humidity down and to exchange air.

Next onto my problem. Well about 3 hours after i uncovered what i believe are to be tiny sprouts the oval thing that was in the seed (as i said before) has opened up on all 3 with 2 a funky yellow color now and the third was really green and in the past hour has started to have a funky droopy apearance and is also loosing its green color. Is this just the embryo dying off or am i killing these plants?? All three sprouts are not even an inch above the soil yet but i swear the really green one had a tiny spore looking thing in the center when it was open and green. So taking all this into concideration, am i killing them and please help fast i dont want to kill any of my babys.
    Tim7587 Reviewed by Tim7587 on . Newbie problems please help asap So i am totally new to this whole growing thing. ABout a week ago i bough an o' and saved the seeds out of it (not sure what exactly it was but high resmebled headies). So i used the paper towel method and got about 4 to get little roots coming out of them. When they were about 1/2in i transplanted them into a large bin that is about 6" deep. Ive got about 4-5" of soil in it. I bought miracle-gro desert formula because it was high drainage and was mixed with sand and pearlites (not sure my soil Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

Oh i also have a repti glo 8.0 UVB light but i cant find what UVB does to cannabis, good or bad effect and should i use this bulb instead of the others.

ok just to update the GE Plant and Aquarium bulb has the following stats.
    Use: Plant & Aquarium Wide Spectrum
    Average Life: 7,500 Hours
    Initial Lumens: 510
    Color Temperature: 3100K
    CRI: 90
    Now that is combined with the Life glo 2 which reads out:
    Color Temp: 6,700k
    LUX: 90
    Simulates natural daylight with peaks in the red, green, and blue region of the light spectrum to produce light that is appealing to the human eye.

Ok keeping yall updated, i lined the walls and floor with aluminum foil and soon to change it out to mylar. Temp and humidity are remaining fine, it seems as if the one plant that was doing really well is starting to curve back up right and is deffinetly opening more and im pretty sure i can see 2 tiny leaves on the inside of it. Do they just grow that crooked when they are this small and straighten out as time passes??

K just got back from walmart and got midsize pots to transplant them too and 3 CFL lights to go on top of it all. So now in my cube i have 3 CFL lights 1 gro spot (sylvania) and 2 florescents (GE Plant and Aquarium combined with Life-Glo2). Fan is in place to keep the heat around 80. Transplants went well one is perking up and starting to be almost 100% straight. Now the other two as you will see in the pictures i am about to go take im not sure what the hell they are doing. K next post will contain photo's. Also i had to get more soil for the transplant (moved 3 sproutlings into their own pots) so i invested in Miracle gro organic soil. I just want my other two to perk up.

Ugh camera not working will have to mess with it later. Ive been up all night working in the grow room *doh* and doing research. Still no answer as to why 2 of my sprouts are not straight up yet..is this normal? or is their something wrong?

Can't give you any info on the lights, but any plant that sprouts from a seed will take a bit of time to get fully upright. The first leaves don't come out of the seed until after the stem starts to grow. They start out with some small roots, then the stem sort of makes a loop out of the seed and then pulls the leaves up behind it (the leaves can't push through the soil, so the little loop of stem has to do that while sort of pulling the leaves along upside down behind it). It can take anywhere from a few hours to a few days for the plant to stand straight up.

I don't know how many lights you have there.....i've lost count but it sure sounds like alot. Get rid of all of them except 2 cool cfls or so for a few days and keep the light about six inches or so above. They can't take tons of light at that stage. Also a weak or bent stem can be a sign of overwatering as well. Now if you had a photo we might all look at them and say it's normal...really hard to say w/out pics but you sure don't need a hundred lights on them at this age.

PS Read up on lighting and lumens

Ok taking pictures just woke up. 1 is officialy dead (its my fault i killed it lol dont even ask how i did it), the other 2 are looking wonderful. One is straightup and the first 2 tiny leaves are showing the second is almost straightup.

K theres pics, like i said one has been killed the other 2 remain and are looking good. So do i have to much light? I thought it was 2000Lumens Per Sq Ft and my grow cube is about 1 1/2 so i figured about 3000 lumens to be on the safe side i think my total is up to like 2700. Also a few questions, how long does this stage last, that is the sproutling stage before the veg stage. I cant find it really anywhere all i can find are guides starting at veg stage, and if im right im not there yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast