PDA

View Full Version : DEA cracking down

divestoned
03-12-2007, 03:28 PM
LOS ANGELES - Federal agents trailed Sparky Rose as he drove a Porsche Carrera convertible to his medical marijuana clinic. Under California law, clinics are supposed to dispense marijuana just to seriously ill people and clinic owners are to get only "reasonable compensation." But to the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, the sports car suggested that Rose might be pocketing big money from his purportedly nonprofit clinic, New Remedies Cooperative.

Rose was arrested in October and accused of illegal drug trafficking - charges he denies. According to court papers, an investigation turned up records showing $2.3 million was deposited in a New Remedies bank account over eight months starting in December 2005, and Rose wrote himself weekly checks of $9,600.

California was the first of 12 states to allow the sale of marijuana for medicinal purposes, mainly pain control, and is regarded as having the loosest regulations.

Oversight is lax and there are few specific guidelines for buyers and sellers of a drug still illegal under federal law.

Who can open a clinic, what constitutes reasonable compensation and who can grow and supply marijuana are all open to broad interpretation - factors that have helped fuel a surge in new clinics, to about 400 statewide. Los Angeles alone has about 100.

Oakland, Santa Rosa and even famously permissive West Hollywood are among cities that have imposed moratoriums on new clinics amid concerns owners and buyers are abusing the law. Los Angeles Police Chief William Bratton has called for a similar moratorium in his city.

The DEA also has taken notice, embarking on a stepped-up effort targeting clinics run by people who appear to flout the reasonable compensation provision.

Federal officials raided 11 Los Angeles-area dispensaries in one day in January, the largest such crackdown. They returned to one of the clinics in West Hollywood this past Wednesday, breaking down a door and seizing additional records.

DEA spokeswoman Sarah Pullen said authorities chose clinics that were making big money, had become hot spots for crime or were part of large franchises. The raided clinics on average raked in $20,000 in profits each day, she said.

Many clinics were buying pot wholesale from street dealers and reselling it for twice the roughly $100-an-ounce black-market rate, Pullen said. "It's become something we can't ignore," she said.

That investigation is continuing and has yet to produce any arrests or charges. Some clinics have remained closed while others reopened.

West Hollywood City Councilman Jeff Prang said the federal government should leave it to local governments to monitor and regulate marijuana dispensaries that provide relief for those suffering from cancer, Parkinson's, AIDS and other debilitating diseases.

"It's a real sad day for the DEA if these type of facilities are that high on the list of priorities," he said.

Police, clinic owners, activists and legislators - even the author of the law - can't say for sure how much money clinic owners can legally earn.

"A profit is in the eye of the beholder," said Joseph David Elford, a lawyer for Americans for Safe Access, a medicinal marijuana advocacy group.

Elford said a hands-off government approach to the clinics should boost competition, keeping marijuana prices affordable for those who need it and forcing owners to limit profits. Pullen said that hasn't happened.

The author of the 2003 law, then-state Sen. John Vasconcellos, has no problem with clinic owners earning hefty salaries as long as they provide help for ill people. He said the federal government should mellow out.

"We're helping people who are sick and they have this fascist mentality against good health and pleasure," Vasconcellos said.

The bill's co-author, state Assemblyman Mark Leno, sees no need to clarify the law and says there is no serious effort by state politicians to further regulate the industry.

Rose attracted the DEA's interest after police raided a West Hollywood clinic he ran in 2005 and seized almost 700 pounds of pot, $242,000 in cash and evidence of nearly $2 million in bank deposits, plus pay sheets "reflecting enormous profits," according to court papers.

Rose, who is free on bail, did not return a call seeking comment. He defended himself on his Web site, Free Sparky Rose (http://www.freesparky.org) - "My dispensary was a nonprofit and to paint me or my employees as profiteers is simply appalling."

He also wrote that the silver Porsche was leased and valued at less than $50,000.

Myth1184
03-12-2007, 08:36 PM
DEA busting drug dealers....sounds like they are doing their job and the California officials are just upset that the medical marijuana scam is being shown for what it is, a scam.

orangeman
03-12-2007, 08:47 PM
DEA busting drug dealers....sounds like they are doing their job and the California officials are just upset that the medical marijuana scam is being shown for what it is, a scam.

Lol yeah I agree. But I do not like the fact that there are some people that are trying to play by the rules and people are ruining it for them.

freewheelinfrank
03-14-2007, 09:15 PM
this new article from NORML says it well - our many years of efforts to establish medical marijuana is being destroyed by greedy drug-dealers posing as 'compassionate care-givers' - I'm 110% in favor of the DEA busting phony 'dispensaries' - this only hurts legitimate patients' ability to obtain cannabis for their ailments - :(
NORML.ORG US CA: Editorial: Medical Marijuana Abuse? (http://www.mapinc.org/norml/v07/n311/a07.htm)
and
NORML.ORG US CA: Medical Marijuana Clinics Face Crackdown (http://www.mapinc.org/newsnorml/v07/n307/a07.html)

M1K3
03-14-2007, 09:22 PM
Here Here

PatrickHenry
03-14-2007, 09:22 PM
indeed. these guys are ruining it for everyone!

Markass
03-14-2007, 09:23 PM

Yeah, it's as much as a scam..as you have given me scientific evidence proving that medical marijuana doesn't exist. Go fuck yourself.

Markass
03-14-2007, 09:31 PM

Another thing...why don't you tell people that have AIDS and are going to die because of that...that the thing that makes them feel better and makes the last moments of their lives better..when marijuana is the only thing that will let them keep the medicine that keeps them alive down...tell them that they have been scammed why don't ya? You're such a selfish idiot.

thCA livin
03-14-2007, 11:01 PM
Yeah, it's as much as a scam..as you have given me scientific evidence proving that medical marijuana doesn't exist. Go fuck yourself.

You my friend seem like you're in need of some green. :thumbsup: haha..
but I agree with your statement.

Green is green. In the end..who cares where and how you got it.. all that matters is that youre high!!!

And to Myth: Why would such news bring joy to you?? ..and it's such a mystery why green is illegal.. Thought process such as yours.

JackdaWack
03-15-2007, 01:13 AM
NewsFlash retards, if some one is selling medical pot to unauthorized medical users, this will happen. Also non profit org. pulling in millions, thats also illegal. So the dea for once got something right. Dont say it doesnt matter where it comes from, becuase yeah it does when ur supporting people who seem to back track the progress of legalization, its shit like this that makes the dea want to keep it illegal.

Matt the Funk
03-15-2007, 01:17 AM
indeed. these guys are ruining it for everyone!

They really are. People against medical marijuana and clinics like these use people like this as an excuse for why it's bad. Also a lot of people abuse the system and sell the weed they get from the club.

Markass
03-15-2007, 01:46 AM
It's much too easy for the DEA to say that medical marijuana doesn't exist in the first place? These people are completely against medical marijuana. I would like to see the proof that they are selling it to unauthorized people...From what I understand it's relatively easy to obtain a recommendation...if you will look back to the 11 raids in LA county in january..the court documents for the search warrants are still not released? I'm in much question of the legitimacy of these raids and as far as I'm concerned, these crooked DEA pricks are simply using this to make the public think that medical marijuana is a way for people to get high and kids to get high...kids be high in school blah fucking blah more bullshit. That's exactly what they want. For the public to immediately say no right now because it's letting kids get high...and it's criminals selling it in dispensaries..But really it's helping people and they're fucking it in the ass to get it out of proportion. The DEA has a mission. To enforce federal law. They've seen that people aren't going to let them tromp on their laws, so now they just say that the law's being broken by these places.

Hey myth, here's your homepage, douche. A nice biased stance on marijuana..changed from time to time to combat newest scientific research as I've noticed..typical.
The DEA Position On Marijuana (http://www.dea.gov/marijuana_position.html)

When they close 1 dispensary...they take the legitimate source away from people who need it...then they have to go back to the streets to drug dealers...I would love to be able to go to a dispensary in my state..I would never get ripped off or bad shit. But my legislators are too ignorant to allow it. So I have to do it illegally. It's stupid and it should be changed. I'm too young to take painkillers on a regular basis to deal with my back pain...In ten years my body would be destroyed...and I would not get the efficacy that marijuana provides.. Marijuana has no harmful long term effects..and is not addictive. I should have legitimate access to it.

The Figment
03-16-2007, 03:20 PM
The problem here is really simple...We as smokers and growers have made weed worth too much money!! as I have said for the last 30 years If weed was'nt so valualbe in peoples minds then those who are trying to profit from it would go somewhere else to make their money!!
Do I belive that this Porsche driving Idiot who is cuttin himself a $9600 a week paycheck is gettin what he diservers,You Betcha!! he's rippin people Off! thats right,there is no way that a simple plant is worth $480-$640 an ounce!!
And if one thinks it is just ask someone you know with cancer or aids if these pricing are "affordable" I think not!!
I have freinds that used to grow for the "Clubs" but they stopped selling their wares to them and insted get it to those in need themselves,cutting profiteers like this schumck outta the middle!
If we want real change about this problem it is up to us NOT to pay prices like this!!
And I say this having been a grower,smuggler,broker,(I don't like the term "Dealer") in years past.
Wanna Stop This Kinda Shit?? Take the Profit Out of the Weed!!
Pot Profiteers are no better than the drug companys that are WAY overcharging for their "Medicines"!!

shovlboy
03-16-2007, 05:13 PM
AMEN BROTHER! You hit it right on the spot. People are nuts!

Purple Banana
03-17-2007, 03:53 AM
HELL YES. That is exactly why whenever I buy an O, I make it a point to give at least half of it away. I can afford to, and I LOVE taking the money out of the dealing business.

Damn the pharmaceutical pushers, damn the MMJ clinics who rip people off, and damn the federal government for making a bad problem even worse.

DAMN THE MAN, SAVE THE EMPIRE!

growinforthefuture
03-17-2007, 05:38 AM
that shit is being abuse. i know people who go to cali and drive 25-100 pounds of pot grown in greenhouses from California medical operations. i have seen hundreds of thousands of dollars pour across the country into cali medical MJ grow ops. they overgrow, and sell on the black market, and lauder the dirty cash. its getting organized, and it is only a matter of time before it blows up like other organized drug trades (cocaine, beasters, schwag, heroin)