PDA

View Full Version : dying rat. please read

Skrappie
03-09-2007, 12:31 AM
One of my rats is dying, my favorite one, its put me into tears.

I don't know whats wrong with him, but he has the tale-tale signs of death breathing over him.

i've already smoked him up, gave him some lemon water (his fave), and gave him a little chocolate to snack on.

Can you guys think of anything else that would make him comfortable before he passes? I know it sounds silly, but i really would like some help.:(

TheFatKid
03-09-2007, 12:34 AM
Put a snake in his tank.

Sorry for that, just a rude comment but on a serious note, maybe you could let him run around outside or give him a mountain of cheese. It sucks to have a dying pet =(

420marijuana420
03-09-2007, 12:34 AM
you're favorite RAT?

birdgirl73
03-09-2007, 12:40 AM
Does he like to be held or rocked or anything? I'm imagining what I'd do with a dying dog or baby, I guess, but just talk sweetly to him and tell him it's OK for him to go and tell him what a good rat he was and how much he meant to you. I wouldn't give him anything or further smoke him out. He's having trouble breathing and that seems cruel. His body's doing what it needs to. Just be there for him and say your goodbyes. Real sorry about your rat, Skrappie.

Cheery Cherry
03-09-2007, 12:43 AM
I can't give you any advise....but I can offer you a *hug*. Sorry :(.

orange floyd
03-09-2007, 12:43 AM
yeah man just chill with him and hold him and shit. sorry bout that man, sucks to have a pet thats gonna go.

Skrappie
03-09-2007, 12:47 AM
birdgirl73 Does he like to be held or rocked or anything? I'm imagining what I'd do with a dying dog or baby, I guess, but just talk sweetly to him and tell him it's OK for him to go and tell him what a good rat he was and how much he meant to you. I wouldn't give him anything or further smoke him out. He's having trouble breathing and that seems cruel. His body's doing what it needs to. Just be there for him and say your goodbyes. Real sorry about your rat, Skrappie.

I'm not holding him much, as he never liked that, but he's in my lap, and i'm petting him quite a bit.

The only reason i smoked him up is because this rat liked to be smoked up while the others didn't, he would try to get in my mouth sometimes if he was free roaming and i was smoking it was funny and i let him get so close. on a side note i have one that trys to ravage booze bottles too.

Chocolate is another thing i would never give to them, but since he's going, and always tried to get into some, i figured i'd let him get some before he hit the road, i'm sure its not hurting much.

This guy was always the most lively and people oriented, he rocked, its so depressing to see the sudden change.

slipknotpsycho
03-09-2007, 12:56 AM
well, you could do the humane thing, put him out of his misery, instead of just letting him waste/fade away slowly, and possibly painfully...

or you can hold on to slight hope he might pull through...

give him some grass maybe, like force it down his throat (i dunno how you're going to accomplish that tho) when a dog or cat is sick they eat grass... could help....

assuming you know he's about to die, i'd just put him out quickly... i'd do it with any pet i loved too... watching them suffer is worse then them dying period...

it's not exactly tasteful, but you could shoot him in the head if you had a pretty powerful pellet gun or maybe a .22, stick him in a ziplock bag and suck out all the oxygen or smash his head with somethin heavy...

o.0 i'm afraid you may take this post the wrong way, i just know i wouldn't wanna watch a pet of mine suffer... and you don't exactly take a rat to the vet to have it put to sleep.

Specialty Cakes
03-09-2007, 01:01 AM
that really sucks man, I know how you feel. My old ferret got adrenal cancer (common for the little beasts) and said goodbye a few months ago. He was the best, he'd run around the house all the time, very friendly little guy... but that sucks, I'm sorry that's gotta happen. I miss that guy...

Snake2389
03-09-2007, 01:03 AM
i never thought rats like chocolate and lemon water...

Specialty Cakes
03-09-2007, 01:04 AM
well, you could do the humane thing, put him out of his misery, instead of just letting him waste/fade away slowly, and possibly painfully...

give him some grass maybe, like force it down his throat (i dunno how you're going to accomplish that tho) when a dog or cat is sick they eat grass... could help....

assuming you know he's about to die, i'd just put him out quickly... i'd do it with any pet i loved too... watching them suffer is worse then them dying period...

it's not exactly tasteful, but you could shoot him in the head if you had a pretty powerful pellet gun or maybe a .22, stick him in a ziplock bag and suck out all the oxygen or smash his head with somethin heavy...

o.0 i'm afraid you may take this post the wrong way, i just know i wouldn't wanna watch a pet of mine suffer... and you don't exactly take a rat to the vet to have it put to sleep.

AGGH!!!! no, there's no WAY I could ever even THINK of doing that. I know it's humane, but no, I'm too peaceful. Shooting my best buddy in the face with a gun or smashing him with a textbook just seems WAY too barbaric to me. I personify my pets too much, you know? it'd be like taking you brother or your best friend and hurting him. I see what you mean by being humane, but jesus, I couldn't. Maybe Skrappie can, but I could NEVER do that...

MagicalHerb
03-09-2007, 01:07 AM
make him a bed of leaves, twigs and cotton and ratnip outside, then when he dies light it on fire and throw the ashes into the ocean or into a breeze.
i guess thats how id like my body to be removed from the world. except instead of ratnip it would be pot.

Skrappie
03-09-2007, 01:10 AM
i never thought rats like chocolate and lemon water...

they all have very diffrent tastes, they are the same to a certian degree, but most deff have preferences. I said he liked lemon water. He also liked lemons and it was silly to have to peal one and break a part one slice just for him to eat half of it. The other two won't touch the stuff.

Slipnot i know what you are saying, but i'm asuming he would like to hold on to the little life he has left. I'd like to be put out of my pain if i could make either my pain or my wishes know to another party, but if i was on my death bed and no one knew what was going on with me, i hate to get my head smashed in with a rock, we have a trust relationship, and i refuse to cross any boundries, hes never trangressed agianst me. anywho he is slowly fading away. Could be age, his heart could be bad, who knows, i don't know the degree of his pain, so i refuse to take the chance of either

A) making him suffer more by not delivering an instant death (by some off chance)
b) take away what life he has left without his consent, which he can not give.
thanks though.

hello3pat
03-09-2007, 01:12 AM
[quote=TheFatKid]
Sorry for that, just a rude comment but on a serious note, maybe you could let him run around outside or give him a mountain of cheese.QUOTE]

Rodents ussually prefer peanut butter and crackers over cheeese

Man, I'm sorry I know what your going through, I had to watch my brother's dog waste away and die a few years ago, he may not have been mine but he was realy close to the entire family, he was bought for my brother when he had leukemia, had him for 15 years, and my dog is his son, but the thing you have to remember is pets don't live as long as humans, they come and go. But just make sure you remember him, I'm sure you will

Skink
03-09-2007, 01:12 AM
I would just let it rest in a warm spot... I am of the put him out of his misery school also but peeps can't seem to do that,,,not even to a cripple deer... Maybe if you got some percs you can OD it,,,that should be painless...

MagicalHerb
03-09-2007, 01:14 AM
let him live..any way you look at it murder isnt natural and the only way i could see a reason to kill anything is if it was in extremely unbearable pain.
if you want to bury him, put a lemon, chocolate and a small nug along with him!

LazySmoking420
03-09-2007, 01:19 AM
You gotta accept the circle of life. He'll be in a better place..and he'll look down at you from above. I hate when my animals pass...But all I can do is make sure they have a great life here on earth. We'll meet again... you know on the other side. :hippy:

scream
03-09-2007, 01:26 AM
im sorry about this, i had a rabit, but when i moved i couldnt have pets in my new house. super bummer for me
i get to see him this weekend though
make him a little bud butter to munch on, not too much though, you dont want him to be uncomfortably high

LazySmoking420
03-09-2007, 01:30 AM
im sorry about this, i had a rabit, but when i moved i couldnt have pets in my new house. super bummer for me
i get to see him this weekend though
make him a little bud butter to munch on, not too much though, you dont want him to be uncomfortably high

I heard that fucks up small animals brains, atleast he'll be pain free

benagain
03-09-2007, 02:53 AM
Man that sucks. I wish I knew anything about small rodents.
You should have the vet check 'em out. If it's suffering, you have to put it down.

The only way to really know may be to have someone check em.
I couldn't imaging watching my dog die and wondering if he's hurting. I could shoot him if I had to, but I'd gladly pay the vet to do it for me.

I hope that he/she makes a turn for the better :)

Skink
03-09-2007, 03:12 AM
Man that sucks. I wish I knew anything about small rodents.
You should have the vet check 'em out. If it's suffering, you have to put it down.

The only way to really know may be to have someone check em.
I couldn't imaging watching my dog die and wondering if he's hurting. I could shoot him if I had to, but I'd gladly pay the vet to do it for me.

I hope that he/she makes a turn for the better :)

What is puzzling me is how does he know it is dying???

intrepidus6
03-09-2007, 03:13 AM
One of my rats is dying, my favorite one, its put me into tears.

I don't know whats wrong with him, but he has the tale-tale signs of death breathing over him.

i've already smoked him up, gave him some lemon water (his fave), and gave him a little chocolate to snack on.

Can you guys think of anything else that would make him comfortable before he passes? I know it sounds silly, but i really would like some help.:(

I have two pet rats, can you tell me his symptoms? I may be able to help.

Jennifer K
03-09-2007, 03:15 AM
I feel so bad for you, I have raised several rats and they make really good pets. Is the breathing labored or does he have any tumors? From what I have read they don't have a very long life span (3 to 4 yrs). Most of mine have made it 2 to 3. I was told years ago by an old veterarian(sp?) that putting them in a blanket then a bag in the freezer was a very humane way of putting them down. I was told they just go to sleep and feel no pain. I have done this with a couple that were on their last breaths. I really feel for you. I love rats but won't have anymore (unless I save one from someone that doesn't want theirs like my last one, Patches) because they don't live long.

geonagual
03-09-2007, 03:18 AM
Maybe he just has gas

Jderringer
03-09-2007, 03:19 AM
Sorry... Lizards are my specialty... Not rodents... If you ever need to force-feed an iguana, or you have a lethargic bearded dragon, I'm your man!
But seriously, I'm sorry about your beloved pet... I would just make him comfortable, and continue to give him the things that he likes. If possible, you should separate him from the rest of your rats. Try to move him to a slightly warmer area, to help keep him out of shock, so he can pass on in a comfortable manner.

benagain
03-09-2007, 03:21 AM
What is puzzling me is how does he know it is dying???

Thats a pretty damn good question right there :thumbsup:

BabyFacedAbortion
03-09-2007, 04:05 AM
You can tell, sometimes rats get sores or their breathing is different and more raspy almost. There's tons of signs rat-lovers can pick up on for many different things. My best best best friend had three rats, two of them died. The first one to pass was the most loveable little mush of a thing, he was chubby and cuddley and just great, then a hairless girl who had a tumor who was also a sweety as well as a bitch. I know how you feel babe, when those two died I felt like they were my neice and nephew for a lil bit. It'll be okay, and maybe you can make room to save another rat (pet stores like pets'r'us treat rats like SHIT, give one a home)

NextLineIsMine
03-09-2007, 04:24 AM
death is a long painful process when its due to a disease or condition like your rat is in. Id go with SlipKnot on this one, I know its painful ive seen pets die but it could be a split second, maybe a buddy could do the deed

MacWQ33
03-09-2007, 04:42 AM

That's not cool, I know what you mean Slippy, but that's so fucked.

slipknotpsycho
03-09-2007, 04:53 AM
o.0 well shit if i was his rat... i'd want that to happen to me.. i don't wanna waste away and die... i wanna go quick...... those are the three methods i could think of... gunshot, suffocation, and blunt force trauma... you couldn't exactly put a pillow over it's head to suffocate it >.<

and believe me, if i'm laying on my death bed, and somehow one of you is around o.0 you have my express permission (if not me begging >.<) to bash me in the head with a rock or suffocate me.....

Skrappie
03-09-2007, 01:23 PM
Thanks everyone. He finally passed late last night. I stayed up with him, and when he started to lose interest in doing anything i wrapped him in a blanket, gave him a small bit of a golden crisps (also loved them) and he did what he had to do.

I know death is a part of life, and have put many pets, and a few non pets (dutch i'm sure you know what i'm talking about) out of pain, so i am no stranger to suffering. The thing is, once you have taken life when you have no intention or will to do so, snatching away something that is not yours without premission takes on a whole new light.

I don't think he was suffering much, after the smoke up, all he wanted to do is relax and cuddle, and thats what he did.

Slip and others maybe you want the last seconds of your life to end at the hands of another, but not everyone (or thing) feels that way. Rat owners have a special relationship with their ratties, and part of that comes from always trying to make them comfortable with a huge lack of nonverbal communcation
. I'm sure he wouldn't have cared either way since the end result was going to be death regardless, but when it came from doing things the natural way or taking the off chance of making his last seconds a violation of our trust, i choose the natural way. Maybe he did suffer more, but from the way he was acting, im sure he was just trying to hang on for a few more seconds before he went off into the unknown.

I don't remember who stated the tumor situation, but i don't think it was that, I've had a few rabbits who ended up with them, and that is a very painful and noticeable death. I think he was just at the end of his time strand.

Thanks to all for comments.

have a good day.

Daveracer
03-09-2007, 02:06 PM
That's sad, but you did the right thing.

Everyone has a special connection with their pets. I've had a dog for about a year now and i love him to death. I wouldn't want anything to happen to him.

crudemood
03-09-2007, 02:41 PM
I'm sorry to hear Skrappie :(
Just give him the best farewell you can, its the least you can do for little guy. He'll appreciate it.
Think about it, in heaven, he'll have all the cheese chocolate and wheels he'll ever want! Rat, heaven, its a wonderful place. He's off to a better place and he'll know you'll miss him.

five0addict
03-09-2007, 07:34 PM
rats make awesome pets, i had one and she learned how to get out of her cage and back in!

slipknotpsycho
03-09-2007, 08:55 PM
i had some pet rats as well.. i even let 'em roam free... we had this fish tank that had a hole busted in the back (nice clean hole) and i built a little ramp type thing lined with rocks so they could climb back in their cage or run free in the room as they pleased.... they never tried to run away or anything... everyday they always went back to their original home for sleep, to eat and play... alot of people don't realize how smart rats really are...

before that one tho, we had a rat that escaped... we later found him o.0 he had spiked up hair and a friend put a cig but in the cage and the rat grabbed it and even ended up exhaling smoke... he literally took a drag off the cigarette... id on' think it was intentional but it was funny as hell since he now had spiked hair and was the 'bad boy' rat lol..

i'm sorry if the things i said upset anyone, it wasn't meant to... i just wouldn't want to let my pet suffer... i guess becasue i've had to sit there and watch so many of my pets suffer...

my dog tiffany, wouldn't eat for days before she died... wouldn't get up and walk around, woudln't do anything, she just laid there everyday, no meat on her bones... often would whimper....

spot, anoher dog, started losing control of his bowels, lost intrest in food, became way too skinny, wouldn't walk around much, could hardly breathe..

countless iguana's... they're hard to keep alive... that damn disease they get..

our dog willow had puppies once... and fleas were horrible... there were three puppies covered in fleas.... the girl, didn't live... the fleas ate her alive... i sat there for hours on end picking them off her, but i couldn't save her... we managed to save the other two tho... that was one of the most depressing ones... a little baby puppy, being literally eaten alive by hundreds of fleas, i did everything i possibly could have to save her.. and she still didn't make it...

robert42
03-09-2007, 08:56 PM
dam slip thats sad u have my sympathies about the puppies man

i too had a similar problem with my kittens but i was able to save them late on but it was touch and go

slipknotpsycho
03-09-2007, 09:30 PM
dam slip thats sad u have my sympathies about the puppies man

i too had a similar problem with my kittens but i was able to save them late on but it was touch and go

yeah i was really broken up about it... i'm not afraid to admit i cried either... actually for awhile... that puppy and me like just instantly connected... when i saw her for the first time, i KNEW i was going to keep that puppy and it was going to be a life long friend... a week later... i lost her... i didn't know what else to do.. you can't have a puppy like that dippped in flea killer.... so i picked all the fleas off, gave her baths to drown the fleas, combed her with a lice comb... but they just kept coming back and back.. (some mangy mutt is what got my dog pregnent, and he left fleas, in just a few weeks the problem grew outrageously, and we did yard treatments treatments on willow... we were doing everything we possibly could they just wouldn't go away)

so here i was, spending two hours picking the fleas off this puppy (i did this many many times in the week long span, it wasn't just once) and she was cold, not like dead cold, but i could tell she was losing the battle... so after i got most of 'em off her again, i took her to go feed, even basicly 'forcing' (i had to put her mouth around the nipple and like tickle her throat to get her to) i come back an hour or two later... and i see her laying there, i pick her up, and well... this time she was alot colder... and limp.....

i ended up crying alot... i still feel sad when i think about her... it was love at first sight, literally.... you know, like when you go to look at a litter of puppies to get one, and you just INSTANTLY fall in love with one particular one, and you know right at that second, they're the one for you...

i'm happy as hell i managed to save the other two, and put them into good homes.... but i'll never forget the little girl...

The.Devil.Himself
03-09-2007, 09:41 PM
Hey, sorry to hear about your loss. I've been there, and it sucks.

There is an upside though, his relatives in OZ are hard at work breaking the limits of what mice/rats can and can't do. Surely this is going to get them all the same right we as humans enjoy...

Here, have a look and see what i mean. Wouldn't shock me if these creatures took over the planet soon enough.

Dorks - Surfing Mice (http://www.dorks.com/videos/Surfing-Mice.html)

Erosea
03-09-2007, 10:08 PM
Are you sure he's dying? What signs is he exhibiting to make you think he's dying?

If you are sure he's dying, just be with him. I have had several rats (and a couple guinea pigs, and a hamster... I love rodents!), and they seem to really honestly enjoy people's company. Give him whatever he likes to eat and drink best (it seems you've already done those things). Keep him warm, and consider keeping him away from any rodent friends in his cage with him (although sometimes this isn't a good idea - two of my rats were litter mates, never separated in their lives, and they died together). If you think he's in a lot of pain, I would recommend taking him to the vet to be euthanized. I had to do that with one of mine (she had gone blind and couldn't move much or eat and was slowly starving to death), and it's not as awful as you think it might be. Then, give him a proper burial (I always buried mine in the backyard, had a little family service and then put some flowers from the yard on the grave). Anyway, I hope your rat has had a long and lovely life.

xcrispi
03-09-2007, 10:08 PM
Sorry Skrappie ,
Crispi sends his condolences man . I too am a rat lover .

At first they were just a food source for my snakes , snakes got huge and so did their demand for rats . So I started breeding them being the tight ass that I am .

They are awfully misunderstood creatures . Tons of personality , and as clean as our cat , always grooming themselves . And crazy smart / trainable . Tinker would mimick chatter w/ me , repeat long long series' of noises I'd make at him . Merlin , Booty , and Tinker my breeders all lasted approx. 5 yrs. or better . I've had 100's of them .

If you replace it w/ another - a cpl. things I have noticed are all white / albinos seem to have greater heath risks / shorter life expectancy .
The same holds true w/ female rats that aren't breeding - have more probs. w/ tumors etc... The males generally live longer .

Peace
G/B
Crispi :jointsmile:

robert42
03-10-2007, 06:44 PM
i'm happy as hell i managed to save the other two, and put them into good homes.... but i'll never forget the little girl...

i hear u man gone but not forgotten :)

MrGreenFingaz
03-11-2007, 04:34 AM
yo man this might sound harsh but trust me.. Your beloved rat is in pain, you can't save him from where hes going.. What you need to do is take a chisel and hammer to the back of his neck and put him out of his misery. It may seem bad but trust me its the nicest thing you could do. you could also take hammer to skull or smash throw him as high as you can in the air. Another idea would be to put him on a busy freeway, these all sound bad i know, bud you need to consider your rat.

Specialty Cakes
03-13-2007, 12:43 AM
JESUS, what are we, fucking veterinarian "humanitarian" narcissistic nonpet owners, or stoners? I mean, damn. If you have EVER had a pet you cared about (and the bond between men and their rats is often incredibly strong) and had this happen to it, I don't think many of us could really just fuckin SMASH IT'S SKULL with a fuckin HAMMER. Seriously, that kinda thing pisses me off. You obviously have no connection with nature or other being's soul, because I could never EVER take my bestest buddy, and chuck him 30 feet in the air and let him plummet to his death. I'm sorry, but damn. If you don't know what it's like to have a pet, don't fuckin post that bullshit, and if you do understand, I think you wouldn't put it so bluntly. "sorry to sound cruel" is no excuse. IF the guy wants advice of exactly how to put him out of his misery, he'll tell you damnit. Just say "dude, I know how you feel man, but you really oughta think about the pain his in and contemplate putting him out of that misery. I know a few ways to do it, if you want." Telling a guy to take a rat that he is already hurting for, and is totally at his mercy and who has done nothing wrong, and smash it's skull in with a fuckin hammer is not what I call a consolation to ANY pet owner who is losing a beloved friend.

ALSO, a hammer blow to the FACE, a traitorous toss in oncoming traffic, or straight up in the air to die to the horrible power of concrete and gravity, is in no way shape or form HUMANE.I'm sorry, it isn't, as much as you'd like to think otherwise. If you were on your deathbed, which would you prefer? to go out slowly, or to let them take a HUGE ASS FUCKING HAMMER that's twice the size of your WHOLE BODY, and dash your brains on a rock? Jesus Christ I hope not.

Drugs are humane. The freezer is also pretty humane, cause really it dulls the pain and once hypothermia sets in, it's actually pretty nice, or you could like, talk to an expert (not a vet, unless you're a rat rights zealot, cause vets are obscenely expensive) about humane ways to put a pet down.

I'm am so sorry for your loss, and also for being a bit of a dick about that shit. It's just that when someone talks like that, I have a sudden urge to grab the closest heavy blunt object and beat them with it, because it's quite obvious that they have no fucking clue and they have no respect for your already hurting feelings. What they SHOULD have said could also be more like this. "I'm so sorry for your loss, but the animal is in pain. You should get a friend to put him out of his misery humanely." and that's IT, not "throw him into oncoming traffic, smash his head in with a hammer, drop him from a height, or chop his head off" I must be turning into some PETA bastard, cause I feel more and more strongly about this stuff as time goes on.

dejayou30
03-13-2007, 12:48 AM
Losing a pet always sucks. I am glad my dog is still super young. I tear up just thinking about him dying. I would say just do whatever you do with him to show affection. Have you thought about taking him to the Vet?

ERR guess I should have read till the end of the thread. Sorry about your loss.

And I think suffocation would be one of the worst ways to die, besides drowning or burning alive.

Specialty Cakes
03-13-2007, 12:50 AM
I'm very sober right now, btw

slipknotpsycho
03-13-2007, 12:53 AM
JESUS, what are we, fucking veterinarian "humanitarian" narcissistic nonpet owners, or stoners? I mean, damn. If you have EVER had a pet you cared about (and the bond between men and their rats is often incredibly strong) and had this happen to it, I don't think many of us could really just fuckin SMASH IT'S SKULL with a fuckin HAMMER. Seriously, that kinda thing pisses me off. You obviously have no connection with nature or other being's soul, because I could never EVER take my bestest buddy, and chuck him 30 feet in the air and let him plummet to his death. I'm sorry, but damn. If you don't know what it's like to have a pet, don't fuckin post that bullshit, and if you do understand, I think you wouldn't put it so bluntly. "sorry to sound cruel" is no excuse. IF the guy wants advice of exactly how to put him out of his misery, he'll tell you damnit. Just say "dude, I know how you feel man, but you really oughta think about the pain his in and contemplate putting him out of that misery. I know a few ways to do it, if you want." Telling a guy to take a rat that he is already hurting for, and is totally at his mercy and who has done nothing wrong, and smash it's skull in with a fuckin hammer is not what I call a consolation to ANY pet owner who is losing a beloved friend.

ALSO, a hammer blow to the FACE, a traitorous toss in oncoming traffic, or straight up in the air to die to the horrible power of concrete and gravity, is in no way shape or form HUMANE.I'm sorry, it isn't, as much as you'd like to think otherwise. If you were on your deathbed, which would you prefer? to go out slowly, or to let them take a HUGE ASS FUCKING HAMMER that's twice the size of your WHOLE BODY, and dash your brains on a rock? Jesus Christ I hope not.

Drugs are humane. The freezer is also pretty humane, cause really it dulls the pain and once hypothermia sets in, it's actually pretty nice, or you could like, talk to an expert (not a vet, unless you're a rat rights zealot, cause vets are obscenely expensive) about humane ways to put a pet down.

I'm am so sorry for your loss, and also for being a bit of a dick about that shit. It's just that when someone talks like that, I have a sudden urge to grab the closest heavy blunt object and beat them with it, because it's quite obvious that they have no fucking clue and they have no respect for your already hurting feelings. What they SHOULD have said could also be more like this. "I'm so sorry for your loss, but the animal is in pain. You should get a friend to put him out of his misery humanely." and that's IT, not "throw him into oncoming traffic, smash his head in with a hammer, drop him from a height, or chop his head off" I must be turning into some PETA bastard, cause I feel more and more strongly about this stuff as time goes on.

dude, next time you decide to go on some rant, get your facts right...

by a show of hands, if you had to choose, which would you prefer? SLOWLY freezing to death (which anyone who's been in 20 degree weather will know just how miserable that shit can get) or a quick instant death....

i have loved all my pets, and maybe you just don't care so much cuz you're not the one suffering... but a quick death trumps slow death, 100% of the time... PERIOD.

no sane person is offered quick death and says "NO! i want to suffer first"... freezing to death is painful... stick your dick on an ice cube for 10 minutes and tell me that shit isn't painful.... hell just hold an ice cube in your bare hands for 10 minutes straight, without letting go... that's what it feels like to freeze to death, only you can't conviently drop the cold object, you're stuck with it and have no choice....

i don't know what the hell is wrong with your thinking, but you definately got some screws loose if you think freezing to death would hurt less then just having blunt force trauma.... btw, freezing to death, even for a rat can easily take a half hour to an hour... and yes i DO know, because i've had plenty of snakes, even the baby fucking mice (called pinkies) take over half an hour to die... (they don't sell them singley) you have to buy 'em in bulk and freeze them...

i thumped them in the head to kill them.... because i opened the freezer the first time after 20 mins and they were still alive.. and barely moving... i know very well wtf i'm talking about...

(as for what i just said to everyone else, yes it was nessicary, i didn't like having to do it, it upset me, but i had to do it for my snake... he was only a baby.. don't get a baby snake... their feeding habbits take a much 'harder' person to maintain... i hated having to do it, but it had to be done...)

Specialty Cakes
03-13-2007, 01:43 AM
I've been locked out of my house in a blizzard in the dead of winter in northern Michigan in nothing but jeans and a tee shirt. I know fucking cold, and I was miserable, and hypothermic. I dunno why I said that shit, but yeah, don't do that. he's right. But god damn me to fuckin HELL for all eternity if I take an animal that I really don't know WHAT it's feelings are on being killed in those ways (not all humans want to go out quick like that, in fact a good many DON'T. I sure as hell do NOT want to be killed by my best friend with a giant hammer or any of that instead of die slowly of sickness. I really would rather go out peacefully. I wouldn't put a rat down, I'd let it die in peace, which is how I'd like to go. I follow the golden rule, as I know you do too, it's just I'd like to be treated different. I feel sane, I'd just rather take the suffering so that I can have every single minute of life I possibly can, because life is the one thing I cherish above all else. I can handle pain, but I'd rather die as old as is physically possible. Is this insane to you?

man I'm pissy today

halfassedjediknight
03-13-2007, 02:13 AM
i can relate to youre loss. i had a chinchilla that i got with my ex that was, to say the least, one of my best friends.

you can call me corny, but i dont really care. im a big animal lover. i was going to go to school to be a zoologist but instead of saving animals i decided to major in molecular biology to save humans.

anyways, when it was time for him to pass, i stayed with him the whole time. i didnt even think of shooting him in the head or freezing him or any of that brutal bull. instead, i put a fan with a ziplock of ice in front of it pointed at him (chinchillas live in the andes mountains and love snow, ice, cold temp. etc) and hoped that if it were a heat stroke he was suffering that it would die down. he started hyperventilating so i stimulated his respiratory system (to my assumption) by rubbing his chest. nothing worked. i was with him the whole day while he passed.

its not inhumane, its nature. you dont crush an animals life just because you THINK it is dying, you try to save it. then again, this is a big dr. kevorkian philosophy debate that can be very much argued. Instead of putting him out of his miserey I made the choice to try and save him, and I failed. It happens.

Dont kick yourself, its just natures cycle. death is just as glorious as birth, but in death you actually know the person/animal, so its almost a bit more beautiful, if you look at it that way I guess.

if i believe so, rats are prone to illness and death, so its not uncommon for multiple rats to die under your care. prepare for this if you decide to own rats or other exotic pets.

my condolensces for your loss, i know its hard.

once again you can go ahead and call me corny if you want.

ps, i found out he died from too much fiber. I saw that he got into his bag of hay and ate way too much. so it was kind of a laxitive effect that killed him. poor thing.

Dest
03-13-2007, 02:41 AM
I had a turantula that died... it was so painfull watching her pass away because i couldnt figure out what was wrong with her.

Jaerl
03-13-2007, 03:01 AM
let him live..any way you look at it murder isnt natural and the only way i could see a reason to kill anything is if it was in extremely unbearable pain.
if you want to bury him, put a lemon, chocolate and a small nug along with him!

umm.. Murder is natural, think of all the carnivorous animals in the world.....

And i'm uber sry about yer rat, i had one when i was smaller and he died one day and i had no clue he was even dieing. I cryed...

halfassedjediknight
03-13-2007, 04:58 AM
[quote=Jaerl]umm.. Murder is natural, think of all the carnivorous animals in the world.....QUOTE]

thats not murder actually...it actually falls into the terms of natural selection..or 'survival of the fittest' in lamens terms.

Xhoshi
03-13-2007, 05:05 AM

i think they do that to make themselves throw up if they ate something harmful.

halfassedjediknight
03-13-2007, 05:26 AM
i think they do that to make themselves throw up if they ate something harmful.

they just do it because it helps them digest their food easier.

some animals just do it out of habit as well.