PDA

View Full Version : Are dead bugs a decent source of nutrients?

BlueDevil
03-01-2007, 11:35 PM
Specifically, the run off of death produced by those bug zappers.

Spring is almost here, and I realized that soon I'll be having to deal with all sorts of flying bastards on my property. Last spring/summer I had to clean the zappers off once a day as the layer of fried material on them was just incredible - mosquitoes, moths, and biting flies of various flavors were everywhere, thick enough to almost block out the bright blue light that attracts them.

Now if I set up a collection bin under said zappers, I stand to harvest a decent supply of deceased pests. My question is, are they safe for growing?
Might be they be inherently rich in nitrogen or phosphorus? Are there any negative aspects to using them, i.e, curious molds, parasites, whatever?

Just thought it could be a natural, free nutrient source... or am I barkin up the wrong tree? ;)

tia!

Perp
03-02-2007, 02:30 AM
They are a natural, free source of nutrients. For you.

BlueDevil
03-02-2007, 03:41 AM
For me?

Splendid.

I shall create my own strain, and it shall be known as Dead Bug Bud! *dances about* :D

crashtestway
03-02-2007, 06:26 AM
this makes me think of up in smoke?? cheech and chong movie where chong was out of weed so a cockroach walks by and smash places in pipe and smokes hahahahahaha:stoned:

stinkyattic
03-02-2007, 03:19 PM
Put your bug zapper directly over your compost heap.
:D

Shovelhandle
03-02-2007, 08:11 PM
fish love 'em

Dump 'em in your pond or creek.

Shovl

BlueDevil
03-14-2007, 02:32 PM
Ok, I have to ask: how ripped were you when you posted that? :D

I refuse to believe a sober man would come into a thread about natural plant foods and dispense fish feeding advice.

For what it's worth, I do actually have a brook near the house which has trout in it. But rest assured, if I'm feeding fish there will be extra iron offered in the form of a hook!

sfu420
04-28-2007, 04:50 AM
it was cheech and chong still smokin... cool thought though

nightlight
04-28-2007, 06:25 PM
this makes me think of up in smoke?? cheech and chong movie where chong was out of weed so a cockroach walks by and smash places in pipe and smokes hahahahahaha:stoned:

that reminds me of the time my room mate blew all the pot off out of the bowl and we were picking up the chunks and he accidentally put a dead fly in the bowl. it was disgusting

stinkyattic
04-29-2007, 01:14 PM
I refuse to believe a sober man would come into a thread about natural plant foods and dispense fish feeding advice.

You have obviously not spent much time with folks from northern New England, eh?