PDA

View Full Version : I need help please!!! funky smelling weed

Odweeds
01-19-2007, 05:43 PM
Hi everyone, I had 4 mason jars filled with weed and i vaccum sealed all the jars. Now, 1 month later i opened one of them and it smells horrible. Like i dont know how to describe it, but if you smell it for a little while it starts to burn your throught. I thought this was the best method of storage. Was i supposed to freeze the stuff?? I dont know what i should do, all the money i have to my name is invested in this stuff. :what:

Is there anything i can do to fix this or what might have caused this. I know the jars didnt lose the vaccum because when i opened them you could hear it. Sorry for the long post put i need help really bad, Thanks in advance.

halospaceboy
01-19-2007, 05:57 PM
were those buds air dried b4 u put them in the jars. did u use alot of ferts did u flush out your plant only some possable causes that come to mind. maby if u let them air the smell might go away

mackSwell
01-19-2007, 08:01 PM
Is it an ammonia smell?
(Like Windex, cat box, wet diapers)

Odweeds
01-19-2007, 08:13 PM
Yea it kinda has like a chemical smell to it

mackSwell
01-20-2007, 03:48 AM
An ammonia smell could be from (as Halo suggested):

-too much nitrogen in plants (not enough flush)

Or if your weed was damp when you vaccuum sealed:

-too much moisture & not enough air
What happens in that case is the weed begins to decompose anaerobicly (without oxygen) and bacteria which develop in this environment produce byproducts with ammonia in them, like hydrogen sulfide gas - can smell of ammonia and/or sulfur (rotten eggs).

My only thoughts on how to possibly save it would be to either re-dry it and try curing again, or perhaps a water cure: Soak it first in water with some hydrogen peroxide (food grade, diluted) to kill any bacteria, then rinse it well and water cure it in plain water.

But your safest (and saddest) bet is to toss it.

burnable
01-20-2007, 04:55 AM
I don't know what kind of seeds you used but one time I got a really funky strain pop up from bagseed. I don't think it's anything I did wrong, but it smelled dreadful; kind of like that old person moth-ball smell. It was rancid, but I smoked every last bit of it. Much less potent, too.

Odweeds
01-20-2007, 03:55 PM
Yea, but it smelled really good and normal before they went in the jars. Thats why im thinking it has to be mold, i couldnt find any moldy buds though.

Buddahbear
01-20-2007, 07:02 PM
That's too bad! Keep it clean, airtight and dry (essential!) and you'll avoid the mold. Maybe it's been laced with some shit? You never know sometimes...

mackSwell
01-24-2007, 03:16 AM
If you don't see any mold, and it was vacuum sealed, it is more likely bacterial byproducts causing the smell.

Try that H2O & H2O2 rinse.

powerrobbie
03-10-2007, 05:05 PM
If the buds wernt dry and you left them in an airtight jar for that long then, hate to say it but your fucked, thats mold man:(

bluntblaze
03-10-2007, 05:17 PM
i thought you were supposed to open the jars for like 30 mins each day?
i dunno much about doing this so im not too sure:hippy: