PDA

View Full Version : Did you cut back on smoking when you became a parent?

liberiamom
01-05-2007, 04:01 AM
I am expecting to do so, since I won't smoke in front of them, and I will probably be too busy with them to have much time for that- but in a weird way it kind of pleases me to think that smoking will be less casual, more infrequent, and because of that, maybe even more fun. I kind of like the forbidden;) - sometimes I get in a rut and smoke too much. It isn't like I am really getting any higher after a point, it seems. So I don't think cutting back would be a problem. Anyone have that experience?

the yeag
01-05-2007, 04:03 AM
hell no i actually increased my intake....but i stopped drinking almost entirely...withought my weed i would not even make it threw Dora the explorer let alone blue clue's clues

liberiamom
01-05-2007, 04:09 AM
hell no i actually increased my intake....but i stopped drinking almost entirely...withought my weed i would not even make it threw Dora the explorer let alone blue clue's clues

LOL- I will probably have to excuse myself and go to the "bathroom" before the Disney movies start up!
I also plan to use foam earplugs if the kids scream too much- I think it will help me not get so stressed out -
and certainly at night and on the weekends, I will relax :jointsmile:

HiProGlow
01-05-2007, 04:16 AM
When my girl was a baby I slowed down. I was sort of freakin' out at the newness of being a dad and whatnot. (Used to think 'what if I have to take her to the ER or something and I'm completely wasted?') As she got older and I got to know her better I relaxed more and started smoking more. I don't smoke during the day as much but when she's in bed, it's puff time! Peace!

smokinbomb
01-05-2007, 06:54 AM
i smoke more but not as frequntly as befor i cant just sit around with a bong in my hand anymore:)

-bomb

slipknotpsycho
01-05-2007, 07:13 AM
was there a decrease in my smoking? yes.. did i want it? no... i personally see nothing wrong with my kid finding me toking (although, i will avoid it if i can... for multiple reasons) but i find nothing actualy wrong with it... the people that (atleast in my mind) want to hide shit like that, are crackheads... fiends.. people like that... i don't feel there's anything wrong with what i'm doing, and feel no more of a need ot hide what i do (from anyone, aside from the cops for obvious reasons) then i feel the need to hide my cigarette smoking.... why even bother go around 'preeching' how in-harmful weed is, if you're going to go around trying to hide it from everyone (legal consequences aside) like it's rock...

liberiamom
01-05-2007, 03:55 PM
was there a decrease in my smoking? yes.. did i want it? no... i personally see nothing wrong with my kid finding me toking (although, i will avoid it if i can... for multiple reasons) but i find nothing actualy wrong with it... the people that (atleast in my mind) want to hide shit like that, are crackheads... fiends.. people like that... i don't feel there's anything wrong with what i'm doing, and feel no more of a need ot hide what i do (from anyone, aside from the cops for obvious reasons) then i feel the need to hide my cigarette smoking.... why even bother go around 'preeching' how in-harmful weed is, if you're going to go around trying to hide it from everyone (legal consequences aside) like it's rock...
I agree with you- I do not feel there is anything wrong with smoking pot- other than the legal issues, and that is why it was so wonderful to visit Amsterdam and experience that refreshing lack of judgement. Smoking pot is not immoral. It is not even unhealthy (unlike all the christmas cookies I pigged out on!!!) Unfortunately, I live in a country that has ignorant laws and pot is illegal here.
That is why I think this forum is so helpful for me, so I can learn from others how to manage the two. I haven't even adopted my kids yet, but I know there is always the danger that they could be taken away from me because I smoke, and that terrifies me enough to decide to hide my own use. I wish it didn't have to be that way, but until our laws change, I will either have to hide my smoking, or quit.
In the future, when pot is legal everywhere (in my dreams) perhaps I will be able to enjoy the same freedom as drinkers do now! I think the world would be a better place if more people relaxed with a smoke on a daily basis:jointsmile:

Ibu Jari
01-05-2007, 04:35 PM
Well, lets see. I smoked my first joint when I was 16, it didn't do anything for me and I was pissed that I'd waisted $20 on it. Smoked the whole thing, the "right way" and everything.

My wonderful husband brought some home from a work buddy while I was pg with our daughter, and he smoked it all (two joints) And when he started his new job, he naturally gravitated towards the other smokers, and we ended up starting to buy, and smoke, this was around April of 06, so actually we started smoking after becoming the parents of two.

And like HiProGrow said, we didn't ever smoke during the day for a while, incase the kids really needed us, but then we got some really weak stuff, and we smoked it a couple times during the day.

We don't hide it from the 1 yr old, but we don't smoke openly infront of our 5 year old. I'm looking forward to being able to be more open about it. And educating him about it.

liberiamom
01-05-2007, 04:46 PM
Well, lets see. I smoked my first joint when I was 16, it didn't do anything for me and I was pissed that I'd waisted $20 on it. Smoked the whole thing, the "right way" and everything.

My wonderful husband brought some home from a work buddy while I was pg with our daughter, and he smoked it all (two joints) And when he started his new job, he naturally gravitated towards the other smokers, and we ended up starting to buy, and smoke, this was around April of 06, so actually we started smoking after becoming the parents of two.

And like HiProGrow said, we didn't ever smoke during the day for a while, incase the kids really needed us, but then we got some really weak stuff, and we smoked it a couple times during the day.

We don't hide it from the 1 yr old, but we don't smoke openly infront of our 5 year old. I'm looking forward to being able to be more open about it. And educating him about it.
Cool- I look forward to hearing how you talk to them about it. Eventually, after our kids are old enough and will not inadvertantly turn us in to the Dept of Homeland Security, we will be having the same talks. Have you read the book "It's just a Plant" - I like the way it addresses the issue.

Ibu Jari
01-05-2007, 04:47 PM
No, I haven't, where can I get that book?

liberiamom
01-05-2007, 04:56 PM
No, I haven't, where can I get that book?
I got it at Urban Outfitters, but you may find it elsewhere if you do a search.

Ibu Jari
01-05-2007, 04:59 PM
Sweet!

slipknotpsycho
01-09-2007, 07:34 AM
I agree with you- I do not feel there is anything wrong with smoking pot- other than the legal issues, and that is why it was so wonderful to visit Amsterdam and experience that refreshing lack of judgement. Smoking pot is not immoral. It is not even unhealthy (unlike all the christmas cookies I pigged out on!!!) Unfortunately, I live in a country that has ignorant laws and pot is illegal here.
That is why I think this forum is so helpful for me, so I can learn from others how to manage the two. I haven't even adopted my kids yet, but I know there is always the danger that they could be taken away from me because I smoke, and that terrifies me enough to decide to hide my own use. I wish it didn't have to be that way, but until our laws change, I will either have to hide my smoking, or quit.
In the future, when pot is legal everywhere (in my dreams) perhaps I will be able to enjoy the same freedom as drinkers do now! I think the world would be a better place if more people relaxed with a smoke on a daily basis:jointsmile:

i just now noticed this (going back over shit) i'm not going to deny smoking weed is unhealthy.. cuz smoking anything is unhealthy... but when it comes to vaporizing/eating... there's nothing unhealthy about it... the only unhealth-iness to smoking weed is... smoking it..

AlwaysBlazed
01-09-2007, 08:19 PM
I'm not a parent, but my dad has been smoking for a long time now and he hides it from everyone, even though we all know he does it. He is still stoned most of the day and hides it pretty well. I walked in on him in a conference call for work smoking a joint. His office smells like weed most of the time though but until I was like 11 I had no idea. I even found a few ounces in his closet once and I was like "dad I found your stash" and I didn't even know what it was. Wow im stoned, sorry if that makes no sense.

conch420
01-10-2007, 07:09 AM
lol haha yeah i found my dads stash and stols a nice chunk of charas hash...my first time toking too i was soo fucked, i told him about it on the xmas break cause hes cool w/ me toking, he got a good laugh out of it.

Fengzi
01-10-2007, 06:44 PM
"Did you cut back on smoking when you became a parent?"

Well, yes and no. Really I should say I cut back on smoking when I grew up. I started smoking when I was 12 or 13 and by the time I was in high school I was getting high 3-4 times a day. I cut down to 1-2 times a day in college but I was still a pretty regular smoker. Then I stopped. Period. For about 5 years I smoked nothing at all.

It was during this 5 year hiatus that my daughter was born. Then, about a year after she was born, I started smoking again after a buddy recommended I try it for back pain. Now I smoke, actually vaporize mostly, about 4-5 times a week. Between the 10hr a day job and the 1 hr each way commute, not to mention all the shit to do once I get home, I just don't have time for much more.

Now I pretty much only smoke at night, after everything is done, and it's finally time to kick back and relax. The big difference between now and when I was young is that getting high is no longer a priority. It is a luxury to be enjoyed when I can. Having a child has certainly put a bit more on my plate, giving me less free time to get high, but it's worth it. I wouldn't trade being "Daddy" for all the weed in the world.

healthy_ganjaForest
04-05-2007, 06:21 PM
I ended up smoking more! I have a almost 2 year old daughter she is so cute anyway after Im done toking I love to come play with my kids (I also have a almost 3 month old son too) I enjoy seeing how they react to things and stuff like that.