PDA

View Full Version : American patriotism

Kombucha
11-01-2004, 09:59 PM
Ok before I start no one go psycho on me :)

This is aimed at anyone, Americans or not, tell me what you think.

Do you not think that Americans are a little too patriotic? They often talk about how great America is for various reasons. If you see having the "best" economy and the most powerful military as something that makes a country great maybe you might think America is the greatest country in the world.

But it certainly isn't the most free country. Sure, it a "democracy," but it only has 2 political parties to vote for, both of which are pretty right wing. In theory there is freedom of speech, but you can't really say anything "radical" in public a lot of the time or you will be silenced in one way or another.

The country is too sure that it is great, but it is only because Americans are so indoctrinated with propaganda from the moment they are born.

National anthems at school, stars and stripes everywhere, its ridiculous. Few other countries are like this, those that are are usually dictatorships. It seems pretty close to Nazi Germany or the USSR to me, just with more pretence of freedom.

In my opinion, Americans need a more objective viewpoint. They need to see less of their flag and more of the rest of the world.

pisshead
11-01-2004, 10:24 PM
well, first of all, we are NOT a democracy. we are a constitutional republic, there is a huge difference. the difference is massive. democracy is quite possibly the worst form of government.

we need to adopt the attitude we had at the founding of the country, don't meddle in others' affairs, and uphold the constitution. we've almost completely strayed from the constitution, but the rest of the world is headed in the same direction, towards world dictatorship.

we've become decadent moronic slaves. waving a flag and not questioning anything your government says or does and beliveing and accepting everything it says or does doesn't make you a patriot, it makes you a slave to history, and people who willingly give up their rights deserve what they get in return.

standing up for the bill of rights and constitution when you see it being ripped to shreds in the name of fighting terrorism and educating others about who the real terrorists and threat to the country are is a good start.

Kombucha
11-01-2004, 10:33 PM
Well democracy is defined as "Government by the people, exercised either directly or through elected representatives." That sounds like American to me. (The elected representatives bit anyway.

I agree with you mostly but I don't agree with not meddling in people's affairs. If necessary you should "meddle" to help make things better. For instance the 1st and 2nd world wars definitely should have been fought by the allies. America should have been involved from the start. However was like the Vietnam and Korean wars should not have happened.

Rooisme1
11-01-2004, 11:08 PM
where are you from?

pisshead
11-01-2004, 11:18 PM
we aren't a democracy, we are a constitutional republic. you can read up on what the founders thought about democracy. it's essentially 2 wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.

those first 2 world wars were wars for world empires, manipulated by the world's banks.

the bush family had a large part in funding the nazi war machine. it's completely documented, and i'd end up writing for hours and hours and hours if i had to explain it.

i posted some of it here a while ago. go back and look for the john buchanan interview i posted. world war II was more about creating a world government framework than anything else, under contrived circumstances. nothing like what's taught in school about it. then again, government reeducation camp (public school) history is a joke.

Imotep
11-02-2004, 01:06 AM
yeah i think americans are too patriotic. its great to be proud, but when the big kid goes "im the free-est, ive got the best life, my gun is biggert than yours" everyone gets sick of it and someone will always step up to take him down.

psychocat
11-03-2004, 01:42 PM
yeah i think americans are too patriotic. its great to be proud, but when the big kid goes "im the free-est, ive got the best life, my gun is biggert than yours" everyone gets sick of it and someone will always step up to take him down.

Well said my good man, :D

Kombucha
11-03-2004, 06:00 PM
I do actually know what happened in and before WW2, I'm not American so I've had the advantage of learning history from a fairer point of view. Germany should have been fought even before they were. For a while the only countries who stood up to them were those that were invaded.