View Full Version : Letter from a son of Sonora

Torog
10-29-2004, 11:00 AM
Letter from a son of Sonora
Email | October 10, 2004 | Marine Capt. B. Shannon Arnwine

Posted on 10/29/2004

FW: Letter from a son of Sonora
Introductory note by forwarder:

Tommy and Beverly Arnwine live in Sonora, TX., a small town about 80 miles from San Angelo. They received this letter from their son, Shannon, who is a Capt. in the Marines. Shannon wrote the letter at 3:00 pm Sunday and sent it to his parents, who received it at 5:15 am Sunday (the following day with time difference). Shane Folmar is mentioned in the letter. He was a local Sonora 2002 graduate, who lost his life in active fire. The funeral was held in Sonora two weeks ago and over 700 people attended to honor a fallen hero.

Shannon's Dad read the following e-mail letter at their church Sunday. There wasn't a dry eye in the church.

----- Original Message -----

To: "Mom and Dad Arnwine (E-mail)"
Sent: Sunday, October 10, 2004 5:10 AM
Subject: God in this place

Hey Mom and Dad,

I am doing well, it was good to hear your voices yesterday, thank God for technology. Y'all had said that y'all might have a letter of mine printed in the paper, or read at church, I would like at least the people in Sonora to understand what is really going on over here, not what they hear on the news.

My first taste of the middle east was when I landed at Kuwaiti International, I thought what a dirty, hot, disgusting place, the wind was blowing extremely hot, and when I arrived on station here at Camp Fallujah, it was even worse. How could God be in this place? Then I met the people of this land, they stunk, they were uneducated, we have to constantly watch them because some are thieves, I thought again how could God be in this place. If you watch the news especially CNN, MSNBC, ABC, NBC, CBS they all show you the death and destruction that is happening over here, Soldiers and Marines dying daily, one would think that we were losing this war. Just like the Vietnam War, the public thinks we are losing, but just like the Vietnam War, we in truth are winning. We have won every conflict, every skirmish, every fire fight but the media wants the great American people to believe this is a losing cause. It isn't...

Today, I was able to go to church, it was held at the base theater. With a laptop computer, a one eye (projector), two speakers and a microphone, the chaplain played some praise music. I sat there and watched, watched the Marines, Soldiers and Sailors walk in and greet each other, all different ranks from a Navy Captain all the way down to a Marine Private, and all perfect strangers but all brothers and sisters. As I listened to the music, I began to notice, an awesome presence. God was in this place. I have been in a church where I felt the presence of God but not like this, I fought back the tears, can't have the young warriors see a Marine Captain cry. Overtaken by His Presence, I began thinking about all the info y'all see on the news and what the newspapers tell you about this place.

I was wrong, God is in this place. The beginning of life, so close to the land of milk and honey, and what is it, a war zone. Rockets, mortars, small arms fire, IEDs, how could this be, is this where it all began? This is why we are here, these people are good people, they are our brothers and sisters. They were so brutalized by Saddam Hussein regime, that when I walk by them they cower from me. Yes, some are thieves but they try to steal out of necessity, these people need us and want us here, they have told me this themselves. Because we are here, they have jobs again, they get paid, they put food on their tables, their schools are open and children are learning, their hospitals are open and working, their infrastructure is up and running. Do you see this on the news? We are helping our neighbors, these young Marines, Soldiers, Sailors, and Airmen are doing wonders over here, I am in complete awe of them. This cause that we are fighting and dying for is a worthy cause, what we are doing over here, is the right thing to do. You have paid with your own flesh and blood, Shane Folmar died a hero, on his feet, facing the enemy. He gave his life so that this battle would be fought here, not at home.

God Bless you all and God Bless America. Pray for us.

Semper Fi
Shannon

May God Bless

Torog
10-29-2004, 11:04 AM
May God Bless you and keep you--(salute) Captain Arnwine !

Semper Fi !

Sinsemilla Jones
10-29-2004, 12:03 PM
Just like all them e-mails everyone gets about inheriting or winning millions of dollars!:rolleyes:

Torog
10-29-2004, 12:18 PM
Just like all them e-mails everyone gets about inheriting or winning millions of dollars!:rolleyes:

Howdy and good mornin Sinse,

This email,ain't even close to being a scam like ya mentioned,and given that you're possessed of the liberal mind-set,it's not surprising-that you would make such an accusation,given that it's what any liberal worth their salt,would do-in order to accomplish their ends.

Have a good one...Torog

Sinsemilla Jones
10-29-2004, 12:23 PM
Anyway, tell me, how do you know that e-mail isn't a scam?:confused:

Torog
10-29-2004, 12:50 PM
Anyway, tell me, how do you know that e-mail isn't a scam?:confused:

Follow this link... http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1261109/posts ,and read the replies of the freepers,another link to a blog for the tribute to Shane Folmar is there as well.

I have no desire to use lies and manipulation,in order to git my point across,neither do my fellow freepers. Most of us,believe in being honest and forthright,but there are the occasional trolls,DU'ers and other liberal invaders-therefore the site is heavily moderated and all posts checked for honesty and accuracy. Many freepers,are veterans,active duty and reserve personnel,to make up something like this,would be considered on eof the lowest forms of dishonorable conduct..and unlike liberals- good character matters to us.

sawleaf
10-29-2004, 02:45 PM
That's a good post Torog. But I have many good friends that are over there that do say different. I hear mixed things from them all the time. Some say the people are good and they are glad they are there, some say that Iraq is not worth fighting for and the people are shitty and hate them. I've heard that things are getting worst everyday and then better everyday. I guess it really depends on the troop's point of view. My good friend will be returning home wounded in Nov. He was wounded in a duel with extremists there. 3 Marines vs. 8 gunmen with mortar support. Marines won. He's my best friend and also a hero. Got fragged by a grenade, but vaped the guy who threw it with his 203! Then called in his own medevac while laying down fire! I'll try and have him post his views when he gets back. I think everyone's opinion on the war comes second to our troop's opinions on it.

pisshead
10-29-2004, 08:56 PM
but you're an ultra liberal too torog? at least you vote for one and support one...

Rooisme1
10-30-2004, 04:13 AM
Sonoran!!!!! try American Jackass

Rooisme1
10-30-2004, 04:16 AM
My mom and dad had to send my bro food, water and night vision goggles....the other troops were in awe. Torog needs to move to russia....suit him well. Everyone hates ya Torog.....you must be wrong....ya think? Nope....you dont.

notanovice
10-30-2004, 12:25 PM
sonora, texas U.S.A.
now who is a jackass?

psychocat
10-30-2004, 03:29 PM
Yeah the Us is welcome in Iraq that's why so many of them are going home in bodybags , anyone who believes that the Iraqis will ever trust a goverment that has fucked them over before,, I have a bridge I'd like to sell if you're interested.

Wake up and realise,, they didn't trust you before , attacking their country didn't help.

holotrope
10-31-2004, 09:02 AM
No disrespect to the dead, but but
"...just like the Vietnam War, we in truth are winning"

NOBODY won ANYTHING from Vietnam except maybe the ex-military commanders who used opium money to set up banks in Australia. America sure as shit didn't win anything, they had to leave all THAT oil behind. So, if this guy compares the war in Iraq to Vietnam, I think its just another reason to vote Kerry.
Peace